Where do I go in the Nashville area to learn about AR15s?

Joe86

The standard handguard can also be replaced with a Magpul MOE.  No tools are required for installation.  They even make little rail sections that attach to it for mounting stuff.  Handguard is about $30.  Don't know about the rail sections.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Joe86 said:

I found the Brownell tool. It looks pretty cheap. Once I learn how to do It, then it's easy. I think I'm going to go with the M& P, swap out the forend with the magpul.

Compare the cost of modifications you want to the cost of a factory model that has all the bells and whistles; like the M&P15T. And get rid of that hideous A2 front sight.

Are you going to use an optic or open sights?

19 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

He balked at $60 handguards; they couldn’t get him out of the store fast enough.  biggrin.gif

I think they thought they had a customer they could send home with a rifle and a basket full of goodies.  @Joe86 was right to walk away because he didn't know what they were trying to sell him on and I'd recommend taking more time to comparison shop, while learning more about the options.   Impulse buying can steer you very wrong in the AR world.

And please don't forget to budget some dollars toward training.

The scary lack of basic and simple firearm manual of arms knowledge and skills that I see as a RO/SO at matches would give pause to even the most hard-core of us who believe in the absolute meaning of the phrase "Shall Not Be Infringed."  

The framers bestowed upon us a Duty - - - John Madison directed us to be "Well Regulated" which at the time written is easily translated as Smartly Trained.

Meanwhile...., getting back on topic.

Agree with several of the other posters to this thread.  Get something from one of the known producers of ARs.  Don't worry about all of the add-ons until your have fired and become familiar with the weapon. 

16 minutes ago, DMark said:

And please don't forget to budget some dollars toward training.

The scary lack of basic and simple firearm manual of arms knowledge and skills that I see as a RO/SO at matches would give pause to even the most hard-core of us who believe in the absolute meaning of the phrase "Shall Not Be Infringed."  

The framers bestowed upon us a Duty - - - John Madison directed us to be "Well Regulated" which at the time written is easily translated as Smartly Trained.

Meanwhile...., getting back on topic.

Agree with several of the other posters to this thread.  Get something from one of the known producers of ARs.  Don't worry about all of the add-ons until your have fired and become familiar with the weapon. 

From the "Whole lot better than nothing" category, these will tech you a lot, and they're dirt cheap while they last. Not a substitute for real training, but a whole bunch of video of real training...

https://www.magpul.com/products/highlights/closeout/the-art-of-the-tactical-carbine-4-disc-dvd-set

https://www.magpul.com/products/the-art-of-the-tactical-carbine-volume-ii-4-disc-dvd-set

21 bucks shipped.