AR builders

xsubsailor

1. My detent spring usually sticks around... but the detent itself was in a gap in the hardwood floor planks. Took about an hour, but I found that darn pin. Held it aloft like Link after he got the Master Sword.

2. The other thing that I won't admit to... driving out taper pins. Gotta pay extra attention to which way they go in vs go out. Makes em heaps easier to work with :angel:

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I've never lost a part more than about 38 or 45 minutes but there was that blasted Ruger Mark II extractor spring in the garage.  Found it 9 months later.

Hell, losing the occasional small part is nothing --  I lost a whole handgun for about 6 months once. !

- OS

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Hell, losing the occasional small part is nothing --  I lost a whole handgun for about 6 months once. !

- OS

Care to expand on the "whole handgun" issue??  LOL

Anyone who likes to tinker with stuff is gonna lose/misplace stuff, or have "leftovers".  LOL

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jpx2rk said:

Care to expand on the "whole handgun" issue??  LOL

Not really mysterious (and not exactly senility either, AFAIK at least ;) ).  Just that I live alone, have numerous handguns hidden all around the abode, and just went to take one to range one day and literally could not remember where I had stashed it!

It was in the bottom of a big cooking pot I don't use much.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
40 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I could lose myself in this pigsty of a garage of mine.

Me too. I've lost my patience out there in mine a few limes, lol. 

There's also a roll pin or two out there never to be found again I'm sure.

Edited by Wingshooter

gLost my wife's Smith 417 once. We had to move out for some floor refinishing. I was absolutely sure I'd moved and locked all guns away safely.

We got back in and put thins back in all the improper places around the house. But couldn't find that little Smith of hers.

My wife found it about six weeks later. Under a stack of towels in the laundry area. I have no idea how it got there.

Edited by hipower

I was putting my M1 carbine bolt back together one time and stopped. I looked at the parts and thought, these could go into orbit. I went into the bathroom and closed the sink and shower drains, closed the toilet and covered the AC register with a towel. Thus gave me a finite area to search if necessary, and no carpet !  ba

22 hours ago, mikegideon said:

I have been real fortunate, as many as I have built. There IS a missing C clip somewhere in my dining room. I launched it when I was installing a dust cover. It's even harder to find than a spring and detent.

I was happy to learn you can buy that pin with the minuscule c clip already installed. Those things were designed by satan!

• Like 1
I stole one off an upper I wasn't using. I still have to fix that one.

Costs a bit more but Strike Industries makes a quick-connect dust cover. All parts are self contained. Also the lightest dust cover on the market if you're one of the gram-counting weirdos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Ted S. said:

Costs a bit more but Strike Industries makes a quick-connect dust cover. All parts are self contained. Also the lightest dust cover on the market if you're one of the gram-counting weirdos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I have done a bunch of uppers, and it only happened once :) . I was thinking a few of those C clips as spares might be helpful. I ain't scared yet.

Edited by mikegideon