Burial/Cremation Insurance company???

bersaguy

Well, I have been shopping a burial/Cremation insurance policy and I am not having much luck with anything I can afford so thought I would see if someone here might have an idea who I might check out. I have shopped everything that is advertised on TV that is suppose to be affordable and most of them are rip offs in one way or another.
All of the ones I looked at don't pay full benefits until your past the 2 year time limit. They will only refund all you paid in unless you are killed in accident. I have a policy that I am going to terminate in September because when I purchased the policy the company didn't have any bad reports and had high ratings. Since my purchase 3 years ago they have gotten a ton of bad reviews of not paying benefits on claims and finding excuses why they should not pay.
I would appreciate any ideas anyone here may have. I am at a point right now that I can just keep putting money back and pay for my own cremation and take the burden off any family members. I don't owe any creditors so family will not have to face any of those.
Thanks for any advice anyone may have to offer!!!!

Save your money up. I doubt that there is anything that is going to pay out more than you pay in. I’m in the same boat you are; we are too old to be shopping for insurance. That boat sailed a long time ago. I have an estate that is worth some money. It won’t be a burden on whoever gets it; so they can bury me.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, VERO1 said:

If it helps any, the charges for my dad's cremation and simple service came out to about $3500 a few weeks ago. 

Yea I looked into the cost of Cremations and they average 1 to 3 grand for the most part and I have that put back already for the most part. I also have a friend that is executor to my estate such as it is and he will be handling all of the arrangements I have written down so family will not have to worry about it. He also told me that if there are any outside costs he would cover them and not pit anything on my family. I have told him that if there is any additional costs he knows what I have already told him to dispose of to cover any costs. He is also a gun person, Nuff said on that part.

Thanks for the advice folks.so far everyone is thinking along the same lines I am.................:cheers: 

I purchased a prepaid funeral plan in 2003 for my mother.  The local funeral home used Forethought Life Insurance Co.  Batesville, Indiana.  I received a certificate that could be used at any Funeral Home in case the one I bought from was out of business.  They paid our claim when Mom passed in 2005 with no problems.  There was no additional expense to our family at this time.

Interesting topic bersaguy, as a lot of others have said a prepaid package is preferable to  policy. FWIW that's the route I've decided upon insofar as a creamation service goes. But you just reminded me to update my will and name a new executor. Thanks.

Bersa go with the pre-paid plan from a local funeral home and if you are having your cremains placed in a niche or buried in the ground in a cemetery purchase that as well. Costs are always going up, this way you lock in the price and the funeral home will have all of your details when the time comes.

I had worked in the cemetery field for over 7 years before leaving and watched the prices go up every year or so.

IMHO

Joe W.

On 8/20/2016 at 4:39 PM, VERO1 said:

If it helps any, the charges for my dad's cremation and simple service came out to about $3500 a few weeks ago. 

This is the way my wife and I are going. I buried my mother this spring and had the full monty for her. It ran $7,500.

Oh trust me, we could have spent multiples of what we spent.  Based upon my mom's an dad's expressed wishes, not the funeral homes suggestions, we were able to keep things realistically priced.  Ie. Displaying a photo of dad, rather than renting an empty casket for memorial display, was about $650 in savings.  Death is such a racket it is sickening  

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, VERO1 said:

Oh trust me, we could have spent multiples of what we spent.  Based upon my mom's an dad's expressed wishes, not the funeral homes suggestions, we were able to keep things realistically priced.  Ie. Displaying a photo of dad, rather than renting an empty casket for memorial display, was about $650 in savings.  Death is such a racket it is sickening  

Yes and no. Humans have honored their dead in a ritualistic and expensive way for a looooooong time. Not my cup of tea. I have a list of places I'd like some of my ashes left. 

Yes and no. Humans have honored their dead in a ritualistic and expensive way for a looooooong time. Not my cup of tea. I have a list of places I'd like some of my ashes left. 

Me too - in an ashtray next to a fine cigar.

Edited by enfield
felt like it

My Dad passed in 2010 and it was over 10,000 nearly 11,000. My Mother just passed July 31st of this year and it was $800.00 more which is a small percentage over 6 years. Pre paying won't save you much but the piece of mind knowing that your loved ones will have one less thing to deal with is worth something. Sunfish   

11 hours ago, VERO1 said:

Renting an empty casket?  How creepy is that? :o

My will already states that I'm to be cremated, there's to be a party with BBQ and beer, and then scatter me somewhere nice. 

29 minutes ago, peejman said:

Renting an empty casket?  How creepy is that? :o

My will already states that I'm to be cremated, there's to be a party with BBQ and beer, and then scatter me somewhere nice. 

Yea, when my MIL passed I ended up renting a casket (you buy a cardboard liner) for a quick viewing for my wife and kids before they cremated her.  There was nothing cheap about the whole thing, I mean how much gas do they actually use to cremate someone?  As a vet I am opting for a standard military burial in a state cemetery, I have enough insurance to take care of any expenses but may get some additional coverage someday down the road.  I haven't warmed up to the idea of cremation, but who knows I may change my mind before its needed.

To each his own, but I think cemeteries are a waste of space. 

Note that there's no requirement to go through a funeral home for anything. You're allowed to DIY pretty much the whole process, you just have to notify the county medical examiner and get them to initiate the death certificate.  

2 minutes ago, VERO1 said:

Rental casket is not the worst, by state law in Fla, for creamation,you must purchase a cardboard box for the decedent for creamation.  Cost? Only $250! Nah, death isn't a racket!

Pretty sure it's also required in TN to buy the most expensive you ever will...and to never get the chance to use it more than once.