I've done it, it was uneventful.  You can find the concealed carry laws for Washington online. 

I'm told they have an attraction called Mt. Rainier in Washington, but it rained the entire time I was there, so I didn't see it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bud said:

Staying very near Pikes. Anxious to see if it's still as presented in the book, Fish!

Never packed a handgun for air travel either. Flying southwest out of BNA. I've read the  procedure, but tips are appreciated.

You can find tips for packing a handgun and ammo, and the procedure for checking the bag online.  Don't forget to put a TSA lock on your bag or TSA will cut your lock off when they inspect the handgun.  You won't get an opportunity to unlock it for them.

57 minutes ago, enfield said:

You can find tips for packing a handgun and ammo, and the procedure for checking the bag online.  Don't forget to put a TSA lock on your bag or TSA will cut your lock off when they inspect the handgun.  You won't get an opportunity to unlock it for them.

Incorrect.

Per the TSA they DON'T want you putting on a TSA approved lock and they will not access the weapon without you present.

You do not want to put a TSA lock on your gun case.  You need a regular lock with a key or combination that only you have access to.  TSA cannot open your gun case without you there.

Just buy a good hard sided handgun case that will fit in your suitcase so it is all kept together.

11 minutes ago, TrickyNicky said:

Incorrect.

Per the TSA they DON'T want you putting on a TSA approved lock and they will not access the weapon without you present.

Just now, 300winmag said:

You do not want to put a TSA lock on your gun case.  You need a regular lock with a key or combination that only you have access to.  TSA cannot open your gun case without you there.

Just buy a good hard sided handgun case that will fit in your suitcase so it is all kept together.

Well technically they can and will, but that would be under pretty abnormal conditions. They will make every effort to have you unlock it though including paging you or sending someone to your gate to get you. They can also hold the baggage and not allow it to fly, but again, those are pretty abnormal circumstances.

Photographers will declare a gun sometimes specifically to keep TSA hands off their equipment. 

$10,000 worth of lenses and cameras, a $200 high point is good security in more ways than one.

• Like 1

I drop a pistol in each of my pelican cases full of photo gear every time I fly commercial, as well as in any hard-sided luggage I take. This allows me to declare the firearms, and put REAL padlocks on all of my baggage. While a slight inconvenience it's worth having everything show up at the other end of the flight every time. The one time the airport down in west palm beach thought they had "lost" my bag they found it REALLY QUICK once I stated to the TSA officer that it had a declared pistol in it and was a pelican case the size of a typical carry on bag.(I.E. not exactly easy to misplace)

10 minutes ago, bud said:

So, my Pelican case that's about the size of a shoebox, is OK to hold both my unloaded pistol and empty magazines, and I can put a master lock on it to which only I posses the key, correct?

And I am to place the locked Pelican case into my checked suitcase without a lock on the suitcase correct?

And is ammo, in its factory packaging, ok to be in the same checked suitcase?

Depending on size and rigidity you may need a pair of padlocks, but yes that is one way to do it. I prefer to use larger cases that contain my clothes, ect AND my pistol so all my belongings get the benefit of the real padlock, while meeting the guideline that firearms must be stored in locked hard-sided cases.

Amazon has some hard sided pistol cases that are only 25-30 bucks and are built like tanks. Definitely do not use TSA locks. 

Buy a cheap plastic ammo container to put your ammo in and put it in the same container as the pistol. You can leave loaded magazines in, but I avoid doing that to prevent issues with any airline employees who don't know their own rules. Also, I use the gun locks that come in new gun boxes to lock the pistol open to show it is unloaded with certainty. 

Show up to BNA two hours before your flight. TSA has slightly changed their procedures and I almost missed my last domestic flight from getting there only an hour early. 

Also, make sure they tape the firearms declaration on TOP of the pistol lockbox. I was once met by police at my gate because the guy checking my bags was convinced it had to go inside the locked case. They were cool about it except for the cop asking for my gun permit(totally irrelevant) and an employee asked for my key to open my case without me(which is a huge no no), but the moral of that story is to pick your battles carefully when it comes to airline travel with pistols. 

Follow the rules and it only takes 5-8 extra minutes to declare a firearm. Safe travels. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, suspiciousmind said:

Some airlines have very specific rules. Double check their website to be sure you're following their specific rules, but I've traveled my way across multiple airlines with zero problems.

They do and it is not uncommon for them to cite (incorrectly) their own rule as 'federal law'. For exactly that reason I would personally recommend NOT storing the ammo in the same case as the guns if possible but instead put both in the same bag using (preferably) a plastic case for the ammo or factory packaging. 

Now to anyone reading this saying, 'gee it sounds like a huge hassle' it is not. I get my info from the TSA website, the website for the carrier I'm using and my fathers 36+ year career in AvSec. If it's happened in an airport, he's either dealt with it directly or read an account of it or both. It's easy for me to go 'above and beyond' the requirements because I have the benefit of his fore and hindsight. Follow the basic parameters and you'll be fine, go a bit above and it will be super smooth sailing. The airlines want your business and want your repeat business, they will make some pretty reasonable accommodations for you if you know what to ask for. Some airlines even have (or used to) hard sided cases you could rent or buy from them in case someone showed up to fly with a declared gun unprepared. 

• Like 2

I fly with mine all the time. If I'm going to be gone an extended amount of time I check a pelican with my 5.56 pistol in it. I get a few raised eyebrows but otherwise no hassle. For my carry piece I have one of those metal cases with the small cable in it. I put an padlock hasp on it for extra security.

In my bag I cut a small slit in the bottom lining and I wrap the cable around the frame for the extendable handle. I know it isn't much but I figure if I can make it just a bit harder for someone to  slip the case out it might make them look elsewhere.

The only real sacrifice I make is I only check a glock. I don't want to take a chance on losing a real pistol...

Mark