Being the most prepared and the least prepared at the same time

We started getting serious about being prepared about 6 years ago. This followed the second incident where we were almost stuck in our car for an extended amount of time. The previous year we made it past where they closed roads due to winter storms twice by just a few minutes. I always had tow straps and such with me but I realized we needed some food and other things in a vehicle kit. 

Once we did that I realized how right it felt and we started learning to can and store extra food etc... I'm sure many of us went through some similar path. The thing is my extended family on both sides were country folk. Sitting on the porch helping my grandmothers prep beans and corn etc for canning was just what you did. But, I grew up and moved away and lost touch with that.

Anyway, we move forward several years and we weren't self sufficient (really hard to do) but we had a couple months worth of water stored and probably 1-1.5 years worth of food canned, dehydrated, or frozen. Our path for that isn't as hard as some because it is just the 2 of us. I didn't realize how badly I wanted some land until I started looking for a piece of junk property to shoot at . I was looking for an abandoned quarry or land with a ravine that could be a backstop and would be cheap.

As we looked for land I found myself drawn to places where we could actually live and have animals and a proper garden etc. We just kind of fell  into it but I am blessed with a wonderful spouse who said go for it.

We bought a piece of land and I started planting trees and berry bushes and things that I wanted to get started so they would be closer to productive when we moved in. We put a barn up, got all of our utilities in and now we are drawing up plans for a nice simple house that will be easy for us to maintain as we age.

Spending the last 2.5 years working non-stop at the property (not blessed with millions so sweat equity is my middle name) has put a real dent in our preparedness. I'm not canning and dehydrating like I was and we are going through our stock of food. Part of that is a time thing but part is a desire to not have to move a bunch of heavy jars.

We hope to start building next spring. So, as we get closer and closer to moving where we will be much more able to provide for ourselves at the same time we are  burning through prepared preps. In some ways I think it was meant to go that way because the money we are saving by eating our preps is going right into land prep. Who knew dirt was so expensive.

So that is how we are the least and most prepared at the same time. We just have to hang on for about a year and then we will be solidly moving in the right direction.

This is by far the largest post I've ever made. I think I will go take a nap...

Mark

Edited by Mark A
  • Like 4

Very cool man, very cool.  Thanks for taking the time to share that with us.  Great ideas, and it sounds like you've got a really good thing going.  

Even without a TEOTWAKI situation, you are going to wheather the economic meltdowns coming our way much better than most.

Mindset. Skillset. Toolset - you are hitting all 3 home, you have had a vision and are making it come to fruition, which is a damned good thing.

Being prepared and in the proper mindset goes a lot further than anything you can physically have.

Thanks for sharing, definitely jealous of you right now.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies... I don't know if anyone should be jealous. Once we decided to go down this path we went all in with my retirement plan. It looks like it is going to work out but I am 100% committed. Failure is literally not an option. I find that fear is a great motivator. My wife (who should have never said yes : - 0 ) deserves to have a comfortable retirement for putting up with me all these years. Folks in her family live about 20 years longer than they do in mine so I'm planning for the really long haul...

I've learned a few things:

1) It doesn't matter how big of a tractor you bought, it will always be at least 1 size smaller than you need for some random task.

1b) Who knew tractors didn't have brakes on the front wheels? If you go down a steep hill with a heavy load in the front end bucket and the rear wheels come off the ground you are along for the ride until you get to the bottom.

1c) always keep a pair of clean shorts in your car. See 1b for any needed info.

2) Buying a backhoe attachment was a huge mistake for me. I would have done a lot better to save the money and rent a mini-excavator when I needed it. But, if you need a trench dug that is not straight, not level, and not smooth from beginning to end I'm your man!

3) The biggest leap of faith was drilling the well. It cost almost double what I budgeted. I haven't turned it on yet. Sort of like a lottery ticket: Until I check the numbers I'm a winner. If the well doesn't produce life will not be good for a while.

4) I knew the rule build a bigger barn than you think you will need. I built a 30x40. I had a 12x24 shed before. I thought a 30x40 was a huge overkill. It is only 50% too small.

5) Tractor folks only deal in 1,000's. As in: do you want to spend 1,000 or 2,000 or 3,000 etc... They apparently have never heard of 10's, 20's or 100 dollar bills before.

6) Tractor implements are like AR's. Once you have the first one you realize how many more you need. It doesn't help if your normally very frugal wife is a implement gateway drug... She says things like: I want mulch on the inside of the fencing around the greenhouse. Can your tractor do that? My answer was yes (sounded like thousands)... But even though I haven't mulched any trees yet she loves her little greenhouse. We've been married 23 years and I never knew she'd always wanted one.

It's been tiring but we own some dirt free and clear. It is really quiet out there. The wind is almost always blowing and so far we like all of our future neighbors.

BTW: when we bring the dozer in to cut our permanent drive way he is also going to take the dirt we will be digging out for our basement and close the end of a little ravine so that I can have a pond in a few years. While the dozer is there he is also going to level out a 25 yard wide by 50 yard deep spot and use the rest of the dirt for a berm. Getting a place to shoot started us down this road and I WILL have a small range. I may not be able to afford any steel for a few years but I am going to try to have a big ole TN Gunowners Mid Tn shoot and celebration. Hope everyone likes pulled pork...

Mark

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Next time you get in a runaway situation with the bucket loaded, just drop the bucket.  Depending on speed, ease it down slowly.  Keep the loaded bucket as close to the ground as applicable helps as well.  Back down steep hills with heavy front end loads.  I learned every one of the suggestions the same way you learned about the lack of front brakes on tractors ...

• Like 1

sure... everyone is full of help now, but where were you when I was two wheeling it?  ; - )

Yep, learned a lot in the 5-10 seconds I was just along for the ride. I'd made that trip several times but always in 4wd and always with the backhoe on the back. First time in 2wd and with just the tiller and whoee!!! Now I go down in 4wd and with the bucket much lower and no more issues.

Mark