Looking for input for a outfitter for hog hunting

When deer season ends I get the hunting withdraws. To ease the withdraw symptoms after deer season this year I want to go on a hog hunt. I have heard of reasonably priced outfitted weekend hunts in Texas, but it is hard to tell what you get for your money.

Have you been on any hog hunts that were great experiences? Where did you go? How was the hunting, accommodations, and guides? What was it day or night hunting? What was the cost? And anything else that you care to share.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've hog hunted a BUNCH down in Texas. Mostly around Midland/Odessa, but they've been bow hunting only outfits. The outfitter I use is Mule Creek Outfitters (based out of Idaho) & Jacob has always been fantastic. Never had a bad experience in 5 trips with him. All free range hunts (I don't do fences) over feeders or bait & I'm at 100% success rate, with a traditional bow. It's kinda a self guided deal. Jacob provides the land access, bunk house (machine shed...) & feeders; you choose your own blind, bait it yourself, corn your own roads (javelina!) & navigate yourself around. He runs 5 FULL days for $750

These days though, I generally get my spring pig-fix on public land in south Georgia or north Florida. Georgia requires a $90 non resident small game license, Florida doesn't ask for anything, unless you're on a wma (which is just a $30 stamp iirc)

Edited by robtattoo
  • Like 1

Also, beware of any Texas outfitter that's offering '3 day' hunts that run noon to noon hunts.

Generally you'll start hunting at noon on the first day, all the second day & up to noon on the 3rd day. My math makes that 2 full day's, not 3.

Chances of killing a hog on your first 2 days are always super slim just because it takes that long for an area to settle & for you to get acclimated. That really gives you the last day. Bear in mind that hogs are crepuscular to nocturnal, that reduces your last day of hunting to 6am to maybe 10 so......realistically you have a 4 hour window where you actually have the chance to kill something.

Virtually non of these bods let you spot & stalk so no hunting bedded hogs & no javies.

• Like 1

Welp....me & a buddy will be headed to Altamaha (GA) next spring, probably Februaryish for a muzzleloader hunt. You interested in tagging along?

It'll be primitive camping, no guides, no guarantees, public land...but we generally get into 'em.

It may change to Florida between now & then, but the game's pretty much the same :)

If you happen to fly fish, you could be our next best friend! We usually do a couple of days chasing Redfish & Seatrout around Brunswick/Jacksonville then go & unleash ourselves on the woods for a couple of days.

If you're half interested in getting filthy, sweaty & possibly eaten alive by gators/skeeters/cottonmouths, I'd be more than happy to hit you up closer to the time, once we've got the details hashed out.

If we do Georgia it'll have to be muzzleloader, Florida should be any weapon. They have weird regs that mean you have to tie in to the rules for other seasons on public land.

Florida allows any weapon in certain areas, year round. Georgia you have to use 'small game season' weapons ie: rimfire or (handily..) ANY muzzleloading firearm. And Shane & I are flintlock freaks so.....

Edited by robtattoo
  • Admin Team
10 hours ago, robtattoo said:

If we do Georgia it'll have to be muzzleloader, Florida should be any weapon. They have weird regs that mean you have to tie in to the rules for other seasons on public land.

Florida allows any weapon in certain areas, year round. Georgia you have to use 'small game season' weapons ie: rimfire or (handily..) ANY muzzleloading firearm. And Shane & I are flintlock freaks so.....

If you decide to do this give me a shout.  

Depending where you decide to head, I'd be glad to pull the bay boat down and hit the reds in the flats for a few days before hitting some hogs.  

This will probably kick up a little dust with a few hunters here but that is what opinions are about. I and my best friend take a drive over to Crossville every year for a two-day hog hunt at an outfit called Loshbough Hunting Lodge. I have been a hunter since childhood and love the "chase" as well as the "destination"! Loshbough is an outfit that utilizes fences (required by law) to contain the wild game. Many hog and other game hunters poo-poo this because they claim it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Well let me tell you, this is NOT true here. This property has some of the steepest and challenging areas in the state. For those that haven't hunted hogs before, especially stalking them, bastards are SMART and they will play YOU the fool if you are not really aware. It can be more of a challenge than one realizes but the guides work real hard to get you a good hog. Shooting fish in a barrel my butt.

I believe the area is over 600 acres and gun, bow, with or without dogs, they do it! The guides are good, the accommodations, good, owners Rick and Cheri are fabulous. Their contact is 931-788-5408    224 Martin Burgess Rd.   Crossville Tn 38572  We will be going again in November and hope to fill the freezer for another year of good eats! For those that ask about he Hogs, there are  Russian, feral, feral crosses, Bar-hogs, waddles, and Mule toe on the property! I'm ready as we speak!! I give 4 1/2 stars!

3 hours ago, sybo said:

This will probably kick up a little dust with a few hunters here but that is what opinions are about. I and my best friend take a drive over to Crossville every year for a two-day hog hunt at an outfit called Loshbough Hunting Lodge. I have been a hunter since childhood and love the "chase" as well as the "destination"! Loshbough is an outfit that utilizes fences (required by law) to contain the wild game. Many hog and other game hunters poo-poo this because they claim it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Well let me tell you, this is NOT true here. This property has some of the steepest and challenging areas in the state. For those that haven't hunted hogs before, especially stalking them, bastards are SMART and they will play YOU the fool if you are not really aware. It can be more of a challenge than one realizes but the guides work real hard to get you a good hog. Shooting fish in a barrel my butt.

I believe the area is over 600 acres and gun, bow, with or without dogs, they do it! The guides are good, the accommodations, good, owners Rick and Cheri are fabulous. Their contact is 931-788-5408    224 Martin Burgess Rd.   Crossville Tn 38572  We will be going again in November and hope to fill the freezer for another year of good eats! For those that ask about he Hogs, there are  Russian, feral, feral crosses, Bar-hogs, waddles, and Mule toe on the property! I'm ready as we speak!! I give 4 1/2 stars!

not to be too nosy, but what range of expense is there for a hunt at a place like this?

Np. Have a great time! You'll need to take your own food but the accommodations are just fine. Guides are awesome and they have some great dogs if you want to go that route. They have a taxidermist right down the road who does all their butchering and can mount your hog as well... they can be a little slow sometimes but they do really nice work and it's quite affordable.