Dad is gone but still in my life. Now I know it.

n0rlf

So, as many of you know my Dad passed away August 8th. I am still going through the stages and that is a slow process. However, I had an interesting experience recently.

35 years ago my Dad’s boss gave me a beat up old Remington 510 Target Master single shot 22. Dad and I broke it down and cleaned it, completely stripped the stock and refinished it. I remember being disappointed when we found a crack in the forearm area. Dad told me not to worry as we could repair it.

We spent several weeks sanding and prepping the stock. Dad even got the crack repaired well so it only showed a little. After refinishing I had that old gun for 2 or 3 years. I sold it and bought a Ruger Single Six at one point. I have regretted that for 35 years.

For about the last 20 years I have been looking for another 510 so I could have one similar to it. I have found a few over the years but most had pretty bad barrels. One had an obvious bulge the dealer tried to put off as handling marks from being in a safe.

So a week ago my son and I went over to Dad’s to be with Mom and help clean up a few things. While in town I ran by the local gun store as to me that is therapy. As usual I casually looked at the offerings in the racks. I spotted a Remington 510 on a rack towards the back. I picked it up and looked it over. As my son was looking at it I again told him the story of the gun (I am sure my sons are tired of hearing it).

I told him I had been looking for one and he kind of gave me the “yeah, I know look”. As we were looking it over I told him about the refinishing and the crack. He turned it over and pointed to the forearm. Now comes the scary part. There is a crack that looks like the very one we repaired 35 years ago. As I look over the gun I get more and more memories of Dad and I working on it.

Now as this model has no serial number there is no way I can be 100% sure but I would swear it is the exact gun I sold many years ago. Probably just silly thinking but as I do not go in that particular gun store very often I think Dad steered me there. I know it sounds funny and I have never had that feeling before but as I said it is the scary part.

I like to think Dad is looking down and smiling, knowing that my kids and grandkids are going to help me refinish that old single shot. I can’t think of a better way to get my Grandkids into shooting and the joy of working on guns.

Hug the ones you love and say what needs to be said now. You will never forget all of the things you wished you could have said.

Thanks for letting me ramble on folks! I just needed to get that off my mind.

• Like 16

You can live in a million dollar house.
Drive a hundred thousand dollar car.

After you are gone you will not be remembered for these things, but touch someones heart and be remembered for ever.

Your Dad will be remembered for ever.

Thanks so much for sharing your memories of you Dad and congrats on finding the rifle.

• Like 3

I don't believe much in "coincidence". Things happen for a reason. I firmly believe your dad steered you to that store so that the work, that you did with your dad, can now be repeated by you and your son. I hope your son would like to work on it with you, like you did with your dad. You can be sure, he will be there with you two.

Thanks for sharing that with us all, it hit me 'in the feels' as they say. 

Loved ones will live on for time immemorial in memories and thoughts, I definitely believe he was with you and steered your towards it.

I have a feeling that is the same gun, no way you would have a feeling like that wash over you.

What a cool story.  I agree with Obiwan that I'm not a big believer in coincidences, and sometimes we just need to lift our heads and look around us to see the amazing things that are going on all around us every single day.

That is a story that your great grandkids may still be telling 100 years from now!  Thanks for sharing! 

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I lost my Dad too soon nearly 25 years ago.  I have many great memories, yet still regret all the memories we didn't get to create.  Cherish your memories and your loved ones. 

Thanks again,