Glock red dot advice?

Esko 270

I'm seriously considering a red dot for one of my Glocks, I've never had the chance to actually shoot one but would like some advice on the best way to go about it. Is it easier to buy one or  have it milled? Is it practical for everyday carry while working outside,any advice would be appreciated.

• Authorized Vendor

It takes practice to pick up the dot from a draw and of course shooting with both eyes open. But once you figure it out it's a good option for a guy with vision not what it once was. I've been doing it for about five years now and I'd never go back to open sights again.

13499804763_afe65756e5_b.jpg

• Like 8

I had the opportunity to test a few options at work, not really a fan - its almost like using ghost rings on a gun, but theyre definitely cool for dudes who have bad eyes.

I tried them out on a Suarez slide and a MOS Slide. I know shops out there will charge you a ton for doing something you can do yourself with the right tools - not everyone has access/know how. 

The Suarez was cool since it had milled serrations and porting, and a sleek design so you kind of get your money's worth - Im not into the look Id prefer the MOS since it looks like a Glock and comes with different plates and adapters.

The cheapest would be doing it yourself though, so between buying a whole gun, a slide or paying to have it milled Im sure youd go option 3.

I couldnt speak to the feasability of carry - Id just hate to smash it on something and then you are out of your optics. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Esko 270 said:

I'm seriously considering a red dot for one of my Glocks, I've never had the chance to actually shoot one but would like some advice on the best way to go about it. Is it easier to buy one or  have it milled? Is it practical for everyday carry while working outside,any advice would be appreciated.

The easiest is probably the MOS Glock.  I don't have one nor do I have any experience with them.  I started carrying an RMR prior to the MOS Glocks coming out.  Sending a slide off to get milled is easy and I bet the difference in price between buying a new MOS gun and a used Gen 3 + milling the slide is about the same.  I sent both of my slides to One Source Tactical and they did a very good job with the milling.  I don't agree with some of their business practices so I will not be sending any more slides their way, but that is completely unrelated to the milling they performed on my slides.

The red dot is very practical.  I chose the RMR for it's durability and the reputation Trijicon already had for the RMR on pistols.  I've also already sent my RMR back to Trijicon for service.  It took over three years of use to have an issue.  The upgrades Trijicon made to my sight make me believe it will last well past three years this time.  

I think it is very practical for a number of reasons none of which have anything to do with being one of the cool kids.  

#1  Your eyes can't focus on more than one thing at the same time.  I demand to be able to keep my eyes focused on the threat and deliver accurate fire while moving.  The red dot enables this better in every way than iron sights.

#2  If my glasses come off my head I'm still combat effective.  Note however that I'm far sighted.  I'm not sure how a near sighted person would be effected, but I can only imagine the dot would be better than iron sights.

#3  I'm more combat effective at night with a red dot.  You may note that there is a significant amount of night in every 24 hour period.

#4  Long distance shots (whatever "long distance" means to you with a pistol) are now easier with less practice for proficiency.  

#5  The dot is slow to pick up if you look of the dot.  If you draw and look for your sights it is automatically in view.  

#6  I never turn my dot off and I normally don't use the auto brightness setting and I regularly get a year or more out of my battery.  

#7  I keep a spare battery and an allen wrench in my grip just in case my battery goes out.  I need to order some extra screws to keep in there as well.  

#8  This is starting to get to be a reach, but racking the slide administratively is much easier with the RMR.  It becomes a handle.  In a one handed situation it is a big handle that I can rack the slide off of anything with.  A wall, my belt, my boot, a car, the floor, the table...etc  The RMR does not care what you hit it on.  Other things usually care more about being hit with it.

There are also some cons to using a red dot.

#1  You are changing the slide mass and that might require some tuning.

#2  Holster options are reduced.

#3  The emitter on the RMR is exposed and drizzle is my biggest concern.  Rain is surprisingly not that big of a deal because it flows off the glass and drains out the holes.  Drizzle just kinda sits on the glass.  I use lots of Rain X.  

#4  It's expensive

#5  It's harder to sell a milled gun.  I've never tried to sell one of my milled guns, but I can only imagine the number of buyers is less than for a stock gun.

#6  It is ever so slightly larger for concealment.  For AIWB I don't think it is a big deal.  If someone see's your gun printing a little bit and says something, you just tell them it's a colostomy bag and they need mind their business.  Add cuss words to make your point stronger if required.  

That's all I can think off at this time.  

If you are near Clarksville I'd be willing to let you shoot my gun before you take the plunge because it is a big investment.  

• Like 7
2 hours ago, ehull20000 said:

The easiest is probably the MOS Glock.  I don't have one nor do I have any experience with them.  I started carrying an RMR prior to the MOS Glocks coming out.  Sending a slide off to get milled is easy and I bet the difference in price between buying a new MOS gun and a used Gen 3 + milling the slide is about the same.  I sent both of my slides to One Source Tactical and they did a very good job with the milling.  I don't agree with some of their business practices so I will not be sending any more slides their way, but that is completely unrelated to the milling they performed on my slides.

The red dot is very practical.  I chose the RMR for it's durability and the reputation Trijicon already had for the RMR on pistols.  I've also already sent my RMR back to Trijicon for service.  It took over three years of use to have an issue.  The upgrades Trijicon made to my sight make me believe it will last well past three years this time.  

I think it is very practical for a number of reasons none of which have anything to do with being one of the cool kids.  

#1  Your eyes can't focus on more than one thing at the same time.  I demand to be able to keep my eyes focused on the threat and deliver accurate fire while moving.  The red dot enables this better in every way than iron sights.

#2  If my glasses come off my head I'm still combat effective.  Note however that I'm far sighted.  I'm not sure how a near sighted person would be effected, but I can only imagine the dot would be better than iron sights.

#3  I'm more combat effective at night with a red dot.  You may note that there is a significant amount of night in every 24 hour period.

#4  Long distance shots (whatever "long distance" means to you with a pistol) are now easier with less practice for proficiency.  

#5  The dot is slow to pick up if you look of the dot.  If you draw and look for your sights it is automatically in view.  

#6  I never turn my dot off and I normally don't use the auto brightness setting and I regularly get a year or more out of my battery.  

#7  I keep a spare battery and an allen wrench in my grip just in case my battery goes out.  I need to order some extra screws to keep in there as well.  

#8  This is starting to get to be a reach, but racking the slide administratively is much easier with the RMR.  It becomes a handle.  In a one handed situation it is a big handle that I can rack the slide off of anything with.  A wall, my belt, my boot, a car, the floor, the table...etc  The RMR does not care what you hit it on.  Other things usually care more about being hit with it.

There are also some cons to using a red dot.

#1  You are changing the slide mass and that might require some tuning.

#2  Holster options are reduced.

#3  The emitter on the RMR is exposed and drizzle is my biggest concern.  Rain is surprisingly not that big of a deal because it flows off the glass and drains out the holes.  Drizzle just kinda sits on the glass.  I use lots of Rain X.  

#4  It's expensive

#5  It's harder to sell a milled gun.  I've never tried to sell one of my milled guns, but I can only imagine the number of buyers is less than for a stock gun.

#6  It is ever so slightly larger for concealment.  For AIWB I don't think it is a big deal.  If someone see's your gun printing a little bit and says something, you just tell them it's a colostomy bag and they need mind their business.  Add cuss words to make your point stronger if required.  

That's all I can think off at this time.  

If you are near Clarksville I'd be willing to let you shoot my gun before you take the plunge because it is a big investment.  

Thank you sir, I looked at a 19 mos today around 600 otd. I'll do some more looking around. I think you covered everything I wanted to know thanks again. 

Thanks to all who opined on this subject... i never thought much about this much before reading these posts... The MOS thing would be a great idea for us optically challenged geezers who tote a big gun in a vehicle...  I can already see that i need a glock 40 MOS when the new wears off of 'em... Thanks again for all the neat info...

optics ready leroy the gimp

• Like 1

I was talking the wife in to the mos and rmr ,I explained what it was all about and she says why not just get a laser .l played it off like I  new what I was talking about but I'm not sure why not. To late anyway, I put a mos on layaway yesterday ,I didn't let her in on that info. Yet:dirty:. Thanks for the video ehull2000.

I was talking the wife in to the mos and rmr ,I explained what it was all about and she says why not just get a laser .l played it off like I  new what I was talking about but I'm not sure why not. To late anyway, I put a mos on layaway yesterday ,I didn't let her in on that info. Yet:dirty:. Thanks for the video ehull2000.

Mainly because lasers are visible to everyone down range, expand size over range, are fairly unreliable, etc.
Same reason putting a laser on a rifle is vastly inferior to an optic.
  • Like 1

I have tried to like the red dot thing but I cant seem to like it. My carry pistols are Glocks and 1911's . I have gotten to where I just want my carry gun as simple as possible with no switches and knobs and such. I carry a G22 on duty as my sidearm at my job and my patrol rifle uses regular Iron Sights . I just like things simple. No batteries , no distractions , just there all the time when you need it with no batteries. I almost got a red dot sight system on my personal rifle but I backed out .I tried shooting it with red dot , but I have been shooting for over 25 years and I cant get my eyes used to it.  I guess I am just old school.

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.unitytactical.com/product-category/atom/

I went with this after market slide rather than a specific mill because as the red dot market continues to grow, there will be different red dots and I don't want to be married to one specific one.  It doesn't sit as low as a milled one, but it does pretty well.  I have used a Burris Fast fire 3 MOA and now use a Trijicon RMR 6.5 MOA.  The bigger dot is faster and easier to track for me.  I'm faster with irons at the moment, but I could use more trigger time on it.

• Like 1
90f714ab2b7875ce9660ae109626d367.jpg

Here's my set up for Carry Optics USPSA.

That's a sweet setup,I just got my 19 mos and went with a fast fire 3. Fixing to go to the range now and try to sight it in . Just from practicing my drawl in the house it's definitely not going to be easy as I thought.