Magpul DAKA™ Essential Wallet

• Moderators

So, I'm selling my Spec-Ops Brand T.H.E. Wallet. Why? Decided I carry too much stuff and when I saw Magpul release a wallet (Magpul DAKA Essential) of their own decided I would try it. Magpul could make ink pens or paper airplanes and I would probably buy them.

Now, if you like carrying everything and lots of cash in your wallet, this wallet isn't for you. This would be considered a minimalist wallet. I fear it will take a little to get used to. I may decide I hate it. However, I have currently consolidated my daily carry to the following:

ID's

• Driver's License
  • HCP
  • Work ID (Used to open doors)

Plastic's

• Discover (Primary CC)
  • Chase (Secondary CC, only for where Discover is not accepted)
  • ATM/Debit Card (only for emergency withdrawals of cash)

Cash

• Whatever cash I have on hand, probably stick with 3x$20 or something similar/larger.

Now, as far as the "wallet" itself, it has a great tactile feel. It in a sense "grips" your back pocket. It is very light and I like it so far. However, there will be a few factors that determine how well I like it. One of those is simply how well it is made and will last. If six months from now it is broken, I probably won't buy another. Another important factor is whether or not it "stretches" and then the cards start falling out in my pocket or when I remove it. Right now it literally grips the cards and you have to pull them out. If under heat and fatigue it eventually stops gripping the cards, that is pretty much a deal breaker for me. The last thing is simply whether or not I can do with carrying to little. I stuck my insurance card and eye insurance card in my vehicle. My though process is that I doubt I will ever need those cards on hand unless I have my vehicle nearby. I hope I am never wrong about that. Also, while I used to carry hundreds in $$$ that is something I really won't be able to do anymore. I may get a money-clip. I may also eventually move to another minimalist wallet. However, cash carry itself I think I will just stick to a few large bills for emergencies and not carry so many individual bills.

With this, I will no longer stick random receipts in my wallet only to have to clean-out weeks or months later wondering why I kept them in the first place. It is very much more comfortable to sit on vs the old tried and true. If I determine that this type of wallet just isn't for me, I will probably "step up" to either the Spec-Ops Brand T.H.E. Wallet Jr or Spec-Ops Brand T.H.E. Wallet Mini.

78sEWxe.jpg

IrkezZ1.jpg

That's the FDE color, in case anyone was wondering, which is 100% most definitely without question "the new black".

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I like the size of the magpaul    I recently downsized to the ridge "wallet" same size as your new one looks like.  https://www.ridgewallet.com/

No more George Constanza for me

In ways I really like that wallet a lot! However, it seems to be RFID blocking, which most would consider good, but then my work ID will no longer open doors:) Also, the metal looks rigid. If I carried it in my front pocket this wouldn't matter. I wouldn't mind trying it but the metal may not be as comfortable in the back pocket as the Magpul one is as it is flexible. Hopefully the "smaller wallet" conversion will go well for me.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

In ways I really like that wallet a lot! However, it seems to be RFID blocking, which most would consider good, but then my work ID will no longer open doors:) Also, the metal looks rigid. If I carried it in my front pocket this wouldn't matter. I wouldn't mind trying it but the metal may not be as comfortable in the back pocket as the Magpul one is as it is flexible. Hopefully the "smaller wallet" conversion will go well for me.

With it being metal, I'm sure it is, however my wallet when I bought it (Saddleback leather) it said it was RFID blocking, not why I bough it but nice bonus. Tried it at work, and sure enough my work ID works through it. Obviously not RFID blocking. Most people don't test that feature when they buy a wallet. I will say our readers at work are very strong but still.

I recently switched to the Saddleback front pocket ID wallet and feel like I'd have a hard time transitioning to something smaller...also on the insurance stuff, if you keep a picture on your phone then you'll probably always have it with you if you are like most people nowadays. 

11 minutes ago, R4MBO said:

I recently switched to the Saddleback front pocket ID wallet and feel like I'd have a hard time transitioning to something smaller...also on the insurance stuff, if you keep a picture on your phone then you'll probably always have it with you if you are like most people nowadays. 

Great idea! Now how come I didn't think of that?

• Moderators

Carried it all weekend. So far I'm really liking it. Comfortable, easy to use, less fiddling with folding opening, etc. Until the time either comes that it grips everything less or I need to carry more, I think I will really enjoy carrying it daily.

If it meets your needs for carry and it seems appealing to you, I'd give it 5/5.