Kel-Tech P3AT .380 ACP

mbeard1

I'm really interested in the Ruger LCP .380 and understand this Kel-Tech model is virtually the same (Or little difference).  Wonder if anyone near lakeland has either of these guns they'd be willing to let me shoot a few rounds through.  I'm a Member at MSSA.  Would be ideal to find another member with one, but if a non-member I'm sure we can figure something out.

It's much more accurate to say the Ruger and Taurus are almost the same as the Keltec.  The Keltec was out several years before the other two came along.  

I have a Keltec and quickly learned that it likes hot ammo.  As long as I don't try to use the low power target loads it runs perfectly.

• Like 1

Yes, about 3 years worth with Shield.  Warning is typical lawyer stuff.  I have tried several other IWB for small Guns and always come back to VersaCarry.  It is not convienent for multiple reholster but I try my to draw my gun multiple times every day. 

I am not knocking the Versa Carry, but carry a bigger gun than a mouse gun if you are going to use the VC.  The p3at has a long enough trigger I would be ok carrying with a round chambered, and without a holster that covers the trigger.

When it comes to the p3at, TCP, and LCP they are all so similar it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer the LCP, but your mileage may very.  I have never owned a p3at but I owned several p32's and loved them. I just think the LCP has an overall better fit and finish. 

1 minute ago, Patton said:

I am not knocking the Versa Carry, but carry a bigger gun than a mouse gun if you are going to use the VC.  The p3at has a long enough trigger I would be ok carrying with a round chambered, and without a holster that covers the trigger.

When it comes to the p3at, TCP, and LCP they are all so similar it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer the LCP, but your mileage may very.  I have never owned a p3at but I owned several p32's and loved them. I just think the LCP has an overall better fit and finish. 

I have  sw 3913 I want to carry but can't find holster I like for it.  That's the main reason I was askin about the versacarry.  

Im intersted in this little .380's to carry on the summer in gym shorts and such.     

5 hours ago, mbeard1 said:

I like the versa carry concept. But I saw Vera carry advised against carrying with one in the chamber. Any experience with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't have one in the chamber just carry a pistol sized rock, it's cheaper to throw at people.  

I have both a P3AT and an LCP. The LCP isn't called the "little copy pistol" for nothing. The fit and finish are better on the Ruger, but it's almost exactly the same as the Keltec.  

Ruger has a "custom" version with a slightly better trigger and much better sights, that's what I have. 

Accuracy is similar. I don't shoot them much past 10yds and I'm "minute of paper plate" accurate with either.  I also don't shoot them for fun, because they're not super fun to shoot.  Both are pretty snappy. 

The Keltec required the "fluff and buff" and a new extractor to run, but it's run fine ever since. The Ruger was good out of the box. 

The Keltec lives in a desantis and the ruger lives in a custom leather pocket holter. The Keltec is fractionally smaller. 

3 hours ago, peejman said:

I have both a P3AT and an LCP. The LCP isn't called the "little copy pistol" for nothing. The fit and finish are better on the Ruger, but it's almost exactly the same as the Keltec.  

I hate to correct but LCP stands for Little Cool Pistol. ;)

Sold one, regretted it and bought another...

I use the kel tec pocket clip along with a MIC holster to protect the trigger and carry it IWB around 3:00.  Easy to put on, take off, you can load and unload without ever exposing the trigger which is nice (though not necessary).

It's like a pocket knife for me, put it on and forget it's there.

21 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

I have a p3at in a box. 1st gen and it's fire----clear jam----fire------clear jam and so on. Can't bring myself to sell it to someone.  My wife's Ruger runs like a champ.

I have one, and have seen the issue you mention. Like @1gewehr mentions, ammo load is the big factor in that.  This isn't the gun you want to be using the cheapest ammo on the shelf for.  I hate having a gun I can't put a WWB through reliably for practice, but I treat the P3At as a specialty weapon for it's awesome ability to conceal without any issues.  It fills a niche need, so I treat it as such.

40 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

I have a p3at in a box. 1st gen and it's fire----clear jam----fire------clear jam and so on. Can't bring myself to sell it to someone.  My wife's Ruger runs like a champ.

Send it in to Keltec, they'll fix it. Otherwise, the problems are pretty well known and relatively easily fixed. Keltec sells parts really cheap. From what you said, I'd guess it needs a new extractor and a little loctite on the frankenbolt. 

12 hours ago, alleycat72 said:

It'll take a new slide.  The extractor doesn't engage enough of the case rim. It pulls the fired case about halfway out and then shoves a new cartridge into the ass of the case.

Best I recall, there's 2 different types of slide/extractor. If yours doesn't have the "frankenbolt" then it would need a new slide. I'd call Keltec and see what they say about fixing it. 

i pickup one of the first gen 2 p3at when they came out many mango seasons ago.  dropped it in a pocket holster and never looked back.  gave it a good cleaning and used grease on the rails.  never had any problems with it. it just shoots.  it is not a range gun.  my p3at will fire two mags as fast as i can pull the trigger/reload with out any problems.  i can not ask a small pocket pistol to do more.  it rides in my pocket everyday.  

I have a gen 1 P3AT. It was a single-shot when I first got it just like @alleycat72 describes. I did the fluff and buff 3 times. The last time I got pretty aggressive with the dremel, some jewlers ruge, a sanding block and some fine grit sandpaper. I called Keltec and they sent me new extracter and other small parts for free. Didn't even ask for receipt or S/N. It runs great now, but I'm still leary because of my initial problems. I would pick the Ruger if I had it to do over again and have thought about getting one anyway. 

The little P3AT disappears in a Disantis pocket holster. Looks just like a wallet in my back pocket even in dress pants. It's super easy for those times when you can't carry anything else. Mine's actually pretty accurate for what it is. 

they have also had this extractor issue with the PF9. Mine was awful at loosing the rim about half way out. What was happening is the extractor was bottoming out in the extractor groove so it couldn't get a good bite. I pulled it out and filed some off the inside and made the extractor groove a very slight bit deeper. Since then it's been 100%

18 minutes ago, seez52 said:

they have also had this extractor issue with the PF9. Mine was awful at loosing the rim about half way out. What was happening is the extractor was bottoming out in the extractor groove so it couldn't get a good bite. I pulled it out and filed some off the inside and made the extractor groove a very slight bit deeper. Since then it's been 100%

The only problem I've had (so far) with my PF9 was it started dropping the mag after every shot. I was confident I wasn't bumping the release, so I called Keltec. They said it was common with the older ones and sent me an upgraded release button and spring for free. It's worked perfect ever since. 

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:31 AM, mbeard1 said:

I'm really interested in the Ruger LCP .380 and understand this Kel-Tech model is virtually the same (Or little difference).  Wonder if anyone near lakeland has either of these guns they'd be willing to let me shoot a few rounds through.  I'm a Member at MSSA.  Would be ideal to find another member with one, but if a non-member I'm sure we can figure something out.

I have a P3AT, am a member at MSSA, and will be at the AP range sometime next weekend.  I don't know what generation it is, but it has been reliable. 

I have a P3AT, am a member at MSSA, and will be at the AP range sometime next weekend.  I don't know what generation it is, but it has been reliable. 

As in this weekend the 17th or 18th. I'd love to meet you out there and shoot it if you would not mind. I live in Lakeland so I'm only 10 minutes from the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carried the P3AT tonight.  It's never had an issue firing anything I put through it.  My only issue is that it's small enough that it hides in new jeans which all seem to have much deeper pockets than older jeans used to run.  Went with shorts tonight and as usual, you can forget it's there.