Sight solution for Long and short range

Specifically asking with regards to my new AR build from Anderson Mfg., but the question is valid for just about any rifle....

I'm told this gun is good out to 400 yds (chambered for 5.56, 24" stainless steel barrel), but even if it's only half-that, what's a good optic solution for both close and long range? A scope good at 100 yds won't do much at 300, likewise, if it's powerful enough for 300 yds, won't it be useless at 50-100? Is there a 'sweet spot' for the adjustable types? 4-9 power w/ a 40-50mm aperture?

Rifle has a small pic. rail at the top, but not really big enough for multiple optics, and I can't see using iron-sights, as there will be these big scope-rings in the way?

Budget matters, lets say I want to keep it around $300.

- Kevin

yep. a 1-4 or a red dot with a flip magnifier would do great.

200yds only long range until you shoot at 400 and beyond enough. Then 0-200 becomes short, 200-400 becomes medium, and 600-... becomes long range.

If you are shooting minute of 8" plate, a burris ar332 will serve you so well from 50yds to 300 and beyond.

great little prism optic.

• Like 1

Your budget limits you but there are some great scopes out there in that range. When you get into the high end scopes they have larger ranges. By that I mean using Leupold for example they have a 1-4x magnification scope and also have a 1.1-8x which obviously is twice the magnification on the high end. 

It also depends on how much magnification you want at a certain range. Even the most budget scope will have a range suitable for 100-400 yards though. I'd suggest trying a 3-9x40 to see how you like that. If you want less on the low end try a 2-7x or a 1-4xor 1-6x. If you want more on the high end try a 4-12x or a 5-15x 

Oh and unless you have something in your build limiting you, that should be good to 600yards.

NOT an expert, just a guy who does a lot of googling. 

I think a variable 1x4 is a good compromise based on my VERY limited personal experience, reading posts here and the Googlefu.

I'll let others in the know chime in on which brand/ model.

Just so happens, I bought BSA's budget version, $70-ish. Supposedly AR rated,  it ended up on my SMLE sporter, so we'll see how it holds up.

3 hours ago, musicman said:

Whuddabout angled irons?  I have a couple sets and love 'm.

I've thought about that...

The folks at the Hi-Power Rifle club here at my local sportsman club do some great stuff w/ iron-sighted M1's, etc., so I don't doubt it's possible, and the Pic. Rail on the gun is very small, so I'm pretty much limited to only 1 option due to length of the rail. But that also makes iron-sights I think less effeective, as the front and rear sight will be close to each other mid-mounted on the gun (doesn't have means to attach a fore-sight, unless I drill something into the hand-guard, which I really don't want to do).

RE: Dcoudy: I'm not sure... guess I want to be able to do all of those? I suppose my immediate concern would be the first two, but I'd have to practice the last one to be any good at the first two?

Played around w/ a Redfield 3-9 power scope at the LGS today, not really impressed w/ the magnification ability, so I'm really not sure now (thought that was my answer).

- K

At the range of an AR, say 300 meters, you are only limited by your eyes.  Iron sights can be effectively used if you can see your target.  If you plan on using it for reactive targets, say pop-ups, then a red dot or 1-4 scope should do it, if shooting from a bench or other stable platform then any decent 3-9x40 or better will do.  I use a gamut of scopes and rarely get any "good glass" ie expensive.  A good Vortex, Bushnell, Simmons  etc will do just fine and within your budget, I personally think many of the expensive scopes are over rated relying on the name to keep the price up.  I can't tell the difference between a $600+ Leupold or a $300 Vortex, Bushnell etc,  like a big difference in clarity features etc, least not any that make a hugh difference.  A sighting system is only a reference point to me, I rarely use the adjustments in the field after I zero the rifle, only the magnification settings.  As long as the magnification setting doesn't change the POA, some do, and the glass is clear and doesn't fog, then it's a good scope.  I am not a competitive shooter though, so maybe I'm just blowing smoke here, but I usually hit what I am aiming at.

+1 for the angled iron sights

I set my go-to AR up with a variable powered scope (Bushnell 4.5-18 X 40) zeroed for 100 yards and a set of cheap-o 45 degree offset BUIS zeroed at 25 yards. 

I love the versatility of this setup. I can hit anything I'm a good enough shot to hit at almost any range with this combo. If I were a better shooter, I'd want 3 rifles, but with my limited skillset, this works for me. I call it mulitple minute of close-enough.

I suppose a picture is worth 1000 words?

I've looked at a couple reflex-sights at the LGS, they're slicker than goose-poop! but the magnification is pretty low, which is really the only reason I'm shying away from them.... The hand-guard on it now is just rounded, there are some vents cut into the metal, and a tapped hole on the bottom for a bi-pod (thread on that coming next pay check... LOL!)

- K

AndersonUpper.jpg

• Like 2

It doesn't look like you have a front sight mount, so maybe the BUIS aren't an option.

If I were building one with your optics budget I'd buy a scope, a mount ,and a red dot. You can get fairly decent options for all 3 on your budget.

You'e in luck on the mount, because this wekend you can score a hard to beat Burris PEPR mount on Primary Arms for $60. I'd jump on that before they sell out, because it'll be good for any scope you choose that has a one-inch tube. Plus, the red dot can mount directly on the scope mount.

The rest of my money would go on a totally decent Bushnell AR Optics scope for under $123 and  a Truglo Tru-Brite. Neither are the best, but both are darn good for the money. Plus,they'll get you by until you can get something better, that is IF you don't wind up liking both like I did. :D 

Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

I have this one and bought it for specifically for 200 yards or less = https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Crossfire-1-4x24mm-Riflescope-CF2-31037/dp/B00HYRGODO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1472902334&sr=8-3&keywords=vortex+crossfire+2+illuminated

Another one here that's maybe a bit closer to what you've described = https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Strike-AR-BDC-Reticle/dp/B00S2P2KKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472902579&sr=8-1&keywords=vortex+strike+eagle+illuminated

YMMV .... My eyes aren't what they used to be.

Heck I bought a 20x for 400+ yard shooting!

It is out of stock right now but this scope really is a great scope. 

http://palmettostatearmory.com/bushnell-ar-optics-1-4x-24mm-throw-down-pcl-ar91424i.html

It is FFP so the reticle grows with the target/image. 

It has MIL adjustments which I like because they are courser than most MOA scopes. This means adjustments can be made quicker and there tends to be more total adjustment than most scopes. 

It has illumination on the reticle as well. 

When they are on sale at PSA they are $150 which is a great price for a scope like this. 

A 3-9X40 would easily cover those ranges. It just doesn't get any better than Leupold and you can get a 3-9X40 VX-I at your local Walmart for $200.

Or you can order online right now from B&H ( I buy most of my optics and camera gear from them) for $185 with a $50 rebate. That's $135; heck of a deal.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1035857-REG/leupold_113874_vx_1_3_9x40_duplex_riflescope.html/?c3api=3679%2Cbing%2C2764376395%2C1105202454799

Edited by DaveTN