The SIG P320 Thread

TGO David

The P320 Target that they introduced at the NRA show looks sweet, and the RX model looks pretty good, too.  I wonder, however, what the FBI found out at their trials.  It seemed like the FBI's specs were tailor made for the 320, but they still wound up picking the Glock.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, GhstFace38 said:

We tested a 320 pretty extensively at my dept. it had a catastrophic failure after a couple thousand rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting!  Do you know what sort of failure?  Catastrophic sounds like it blew apart the gun.  I am guessing your department runs .40SW?

Interesting!  Do you know what sort of failure?  Catastrophic sounds like it blew apart the gun.  I am guessing your department runs .40SW?

I'll have to ask our armorer what the exact failure was, I just know it was a catastrophic failure... Which caused Sig to be dropped from the selection process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO the best of the "McPistol" (polymer frame striker fired quasi-DAO pistol) breed so far.  I now EDC the P320 Compact in 9mm with a Surefire XC1.  It's stock except for the Apex flat trigger.  No pics, but I do have a quick vid of me shooting it in a drill "challenge" somebody posted on another sight. 

Challenge:From concealment, 3yards... 1 shot 1.5s, 2 shots 2s.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

i-2JL5bhW.jpg

It was rather serendipitous when I saw a local gentleman and member of this community post this Sig P320 Compact 9mm for sale last weekend.  I had actually commented to @MacGyver the preceding Friday that if I didn't end up buying a P320 over the holiday weekend, I was going to be greatly surprised.  Maybe it was a premonition of good things to come.

Mac asked me what it was about the P320 that had struck my interest and I responded that it was more or less just "boredom" but that wasn't entirely true.  While I am prone to wanting to try new things, I think what had really gotten my curiosity up was the sheer number of good things that were being said about these guns on all of the various social media outlets over the past year.  The P320 came out at around the same time as the Heckler & Koch VP9 and having just received one of those from an extremely generous member of the forum ( @LawEnforcementSalesTN ) I was reluctant to add another horse to the stable that I would have to equip and feed.

While I still have the VP9 and a slew of other striker-fired 9mm handguns, the P320 remained at the back of my mind as something that I would eventually need to try out for myself.  The time was finally right, the conditions were favorable, and luck smiled upon me.

Today I had a chance to take it out to Charlie Haffner Memorial Range and run a few boxes of Freedom Munitions re-manufactured 9mm FMJ through it.  It took me a few rounds to figure out how it preferred my thumbs to lay and how much trigger finger was required to keep it accurate, but once I did both of those things it ran flawlessly and was capable of better accuracy than I was.

Through the course of 150 rounds, I experienced no failures to feed or failures to fire.  By the time I was 50 rounds into it, I had figured it out and was dropping rapid strings of fire into a 2" group at 14yds.  If I slowed down and really focused on the front sight, sub 1" groups at the same distance were entirely possible and entirely satisfying.  The gun is simply a shooter.

I think the only immediate changes that I will make to it will be the updated slide-stop lever and updated grip module with the raised fence around said stop lever.  As a Glock shooter for the past 20 years now, my thumbs naturally sit high on the frame and point forward.  This causes my VP9 to fail to lock on an empty slide as I inadvertantly ride the release lever, and does the exact same thing with the P320.  Thankfully Sig has identified this as a problem worth fixing and has released those two components to address it.

I will give it a few more boxes of ammo to be satisfied, but will be ordering a good leather IWB holster for it soon from TT Gunleather so that, should I get the urge, I can work it into my carry rotation from time to time.

• Like 3

All the officers that I have talked with have a fairly positive experience with the P320. A trusted source told me the guy who shot the demo gun after him had several failures of FTF, FTE, and failure to lock the slide back. It was determined he did not have a strong grip and also others have experienced issues with limp wristing. The most disturbing failure was a failure to reset and the rep couldn't fix it. 

• Like 1

I set up a full frame 320 w an optic, apex trigger and stainless rod, awesome pistol and light, more muzzle rise than my vp9 shooting 115 gr and 147 gr 9, but it runs really smooth. Matter o fact it ran some crummy 9 ammo I had that the sw perf center would jam on... Great pistol !

• Like 1