Omega

Antlered Deer Defined

So TWRA has redefined what an antlered deer is and a button buck (nubs) is now considered a buck for reporting purposes.  They have also now added the antlered doe to the definition though until last year I had no idea some does had antlers.  I guess it now stands that if an antler goes above the hairline it is now considered antlered.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I think last year it had to be more than 3 inches to be considered antlered, right?

Antlered Deer.PNG

Page 23 of the regulations

I think this is going to put some in precarious situations when they already harvested their 2 bucks, they will now either have to risk a citation or leave a buck to rot.  My shots are no longer than 100 yards at any given time but I find it hard to see small spikes even at that distance.  I won't knowingly shoot a button buck or a spike but I also don't hunt for trophies so smaller buck are fair game to me.  I understand those that want to harvest bigger bucks will like this, but the rest of us should not be forced into QDM if they are meat hunters.

• Like 1

You are correct that in the past the antler had to be at least three inches to be considered an antlered deer.

Since the doe harvest is very liberal, i wonder if to many young bucks were being shot.  This should not really affect meat hunters.  Really, how many bucks have you shot that the antler was past the hair line but under three inches.  Not many I am guessing.  Plus, if you hunt all seasons you can take something like 300+ does in unit L.

If you have already harvested your two bucks then you simply don't shoot if you can't politely identify whether it is a buck or doe.

I really don't think that this will turn out to be a big deal.  :2cents:

Rule #4: Know your target and what's beyond. If you're not sure, don't shoot it. Binoculars are handy for that. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1

That will be tough to identify, but If it's small enough to fit in the glove box I won't shoot anyway. That usually keeps me from shootin 'em :)

• Like 1

Check it in online and don't attach detailed photos. If you don't see antlers, there ain't none.

I hunt does, so unless it has spots or I can tell that it is a fawn I will harvest it.  Telling a large doe from a medium one is difficult, specially when there is nothing out there to compare them to.  As for bucks, yea I'll take a buck, but whether it has spikes or a 10 point rack makes no difference to me.  I have shot deer that turned out to have decent racks, though due to the branches in the area I couldn't tell until I went up to them.  That is why I don't hunt in areas where it has to have a 15" spread or other measuring guideline, just too much guessing for me.

I check all my game online, makes it much easier for me since I like to take the hide and the head off before I take it home.  But I don't misrepresent my harvest, even when a spike will keep me from getting another buck, just doesn't make sense to break the law in that way.  I would rather end my season early than to do that.  But at the same time I don't like the regulations to be written so as to put people in positions that may have them break the law.  Just like the bait rule, there is no distance given so you can technically be cited for hunting over bait if your neighbor has a feeding station near your property line which you are not aware of.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Omega said:

I hunt does, so unless it has spots or I can tell that it is a fawn I will harvest it.  Telling a large doe from a medium one is difficult, specially when there is nothing out there to compare them to.  As for bucks, yea I'll take a buck, but whether it has spikes or a 10 point rack makes no difference to me.  I have shot deer that turned out to have decent racks, though due to the branches in the area I couldn't tell until I went up to them.  That is why I don't hunt in areas where it has to have a 15" spread or other measuring guideline, just too much guessing for me.

I check all my game online, makes it much easier for me since I like to take the hide and the head off before I take it home.  But I don't misrepresent my harvest, even when a spike will keep me from getting another buck, just doesn't make sense to break the law in that way.  I would rather end my season early than to do that.  But at the same time I don't like the regulations to be written so as to put people in positions that may have them break the law.  Just like the bait rule, there is no distance given so you can technically be cited for hunting over bait if your neighbor has a feeding station near your property line which you are not aware of.

I could be wrong, but I thought the baiting rule was changed recently to 250yds. I haven't looked it up in a while though.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

I could be wrong, but I thought the baiting rule was changed recently to 250yds. I haven't looked it up in a while though.

I looked in the current rulebook but didn't find any distance listed, but yea I seem to remember there was a clarification last year.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

I think the issue is adjacent property. How am I supposed to know if the next guy over is baiting?  If I'm on the edge of my property with my back to the property line, there could be bait 50 yards behind me and I'd have no way of knowing that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, peejman said:

I think the issue is adjacent property. How am I supposed to know if the next guy over is baiting?  If I'm on the edge of my property with my back to the property line, there could be bait 50 yards behind me and I'd have no way of knowing that. 

Yep. You're right about that. Same thing if you're on a lease. I wish the no baiting law would disappear.

I'm not a fan.   I'm a meat hunter,  I took 5 deer last year at distances over 200 yards, it's really hard to see a nub of an antler at that distance, even with binoculars. 

Maybe this antler restriction ruling won't effect hunters to much. If some hunters shoot a deer that they think is  antlerless, some may shoot a young buck with small spikes through the skin. That's where the problem might be. I've not killed a antlerless deer in about 8 years though. I usually try and shoot decent bucks.

Meat hunters may need to be careful.

Well at least it's written well, not much room for misunderstanding the new rule.  Last year's rule concerning the private land Hunt week ended up having some bucks taken though it was a doe only season.  At least not many citations were given due to the TWRA seeing it was honest mistakes.

I thought I'd resurrect this thread with an update. It seems TWRA, has went back to the old definition of antlered deer, 3" spikes or better, starting this 2018 season.  And apparently, the regs will now be good for 2 seasons 18'-19'.  Also changed but effective in July, is no deer urine scents will be allowed, only synthetic. 

While it will not become law until July 1, 2019, the commission, noting concerns over the potential of Chronic Wasting Disease finding its way into Tennessee, voted to ban the use of cervid lures with urine. There is concern nationwide that the disease could be passed through tainted urine. Synthetic deer and elk lures, readily available on the market, would still be legal.

I use scents, but not 100% convinced they work all that good, so no big deal for me, but I know a few guys like to put out mock scrapes, so it may affect them next year.

Edited by Omega
Speeling

Well that sucks. I'm honestly superised there's not already some regulation on testing urine based products for CWD with all the concern throughout the US of it spreading.

I would think that deer farms could get certified as CWD free, but until states like TN. start to ban the use, there aren't any getting certification. 

I don't mind this one. CWD is a serious problem. If the urine based products are a vector for spreading the disease, I say put a stop to them... or only allow locally sourced products. 

Conquest has their deer tested. Saw an episode of Conquest 200 last night where the  owner submitted cull deer and any natural deaths to the state to be tested. At least I think it was the state, could have been private.