IDPA equipment

I am interested in joining but the more I read the rules on equipment the less confidence I have on what is acceptable. I have never bought a holster so the terminology is Greek to me .. ditto on the belts and mag pouches .. the pistols I would consider using have mags in excess of 10 rounds; do they have to be 10-round mags or can you simply load no more than ten? Is there such a thing as a specific list of acceptable equipment? I don't want to join bad enough to purchase another pistol, or all new mags or to end up with the wrong carry equipment .. thanks

Bring out what you have Thursday to Royal. In general, most OWB holsters would be fine. Most single layer belts will be fine as long as they are 1.75" or smaller. 5.11 makes a good comp belt as do others. We like Master-Tac holsters, buy again there are many good ones out there. Pm me, I'll give you my number and we can go over what you have and help get you squared away.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

don't overthink it.  even the most basic setups can work for IDPA.  keep it simple.

Gun (9mm or larger caliber) + ammo.  usually about 120 rounds will do. 

3 magazines, if they hold more than 10 rounds you will only load to 10

magazine pouch to wear on your belt.  makes it easier to grab a mag and do a reload when required. usually a molded plastic (kydex) open top mag pouch works best. 

belt to hold it all on and around your waist.

cover garment, overshirt or the like.

you are good to go. 

Good Info from both Wiljo05 and sschrick

I would offer this recommendation - - - Please DO NOT get a Blackhawk SERPA Holster.  They are IMHO unsafe. 

Too many shooters do not understand the correct placement for their finger to release the locking SERPA Auto Lock (see red arrow in picture).  Folks will use the tip of their finger to release the lock, and then as they draw the handgun their finger will touch the trigger and a negligent discharge WILL Happen!  At best the shooter gets a disqualification from the round impacting closer than two yards away, at worst the shooter (or somebody else) gets a gunshot wound.

Blackhawk makes a very inexpensive holster without the SERPA that they call the Sportster Standard that can be had in the $20-30 range that will do everything you need in IPDA.

11kxyc7.jpg   

• Like 3

Lots of good advice. Go to a match and bring what you have. All the clubs will work with you your first time out. It will give you the chance to see what others are doing. It's not as complicated as it seems. Just go, be safe, have fun and learn. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the help .. that is one thing that attracted me, the fact that the IDPA sites all say that the sport was to allow people to bring their store-bought equipment, ammo and the entry fee and start shooting.  Then I downloaded the rules on equipment and felt like a rat in a maze. I will go to Royal and another one or two just to observe before I make any purchases.  Thanks again

On 8/30/2016 at 10:54 AM, Danny Fox said:

Thanks for the help .. that is one thing that attracted me, the fact that the IDPA sites all say that the sport was to allow people to bring their store-bought equipment, ammo and the entry fee and start shooting.  Then I downloaded the rules on equipment and felt like a rat in a maze. I will go to Royal and another one or two just to observe before I make any purchases.  Thanks again

No No No NO!!!  You will be like "dang it I should have brought my gun!"

Just bring what you'd normally use. You'll be so confused and worried the 1st time out it won't matter what gun you have.  Just go to a match with your regular gear and shoot. Don't sweat the rules you'll pick those up as you go along. Think about how you learned baseball or football. Did you sit down and read the rule book or did you jump in and learn as you went along. It's not great sin if you break cover or drop a mag when you shouldn't. It's just part of learning. 

• Like 1