Modify Colt Sporter HBAR or trade/sell it?

Whisper

I have a Colt Sporter HBAR that dates from about 1990, when they were made with the large trigger pins and the pinned-in sear block.  It has a pretty heavy trigger but I've never shot it all that much -- I have other ARs -- so it didn't bother me.  Now I want to set it up for long-range work and I want to put a good trigger in it, but the sear block prevents use of most of the best aftermarket triggers.  I at first thought I'd just cut the sear block out, but when reading up on this, I've found several places that claim these Sporter HBARs have collector value to some people, and they advise not to modify one, but to trade or sell it and buy another.  I have the upper receiver set up just like I want it -- VLTOR tube rail, low-profile gas block, Leupold scope -- so I wouldn't want to sell that.  But if someone wanted to trade me a Colt lower without a sear block, or buy the old lower for enough money that I could buy a new Colt lower, I'd do it.

Any Colt rifle collectors here?  Does the Sporter HBAR with sear block really have any collector interest?  Should I trade/sell it, or should I just fire up the Dremel and carve that sear block out of there?

Thanks,
Whisper

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar one (1987) and sold it to a friend in Ca, mine had a large front take down pin (screw, hated it!), low shelf lower that would take a RDIAS (no sear block ). I'm guessing yours is most likely a slab side (no reinforcements), fixed stock, A2.

It will be easier and faster to sell it as a preban (<<most likely) to a comie state (<< that allows them) on GB.

I have only seen colt high shelf lowers for years, my LE6940 (223/556) is current and it has a sear block and my LE901 (308/7.62) has a low shelf lower.

Does it have large hole (.315) or standard small hole (.250) for the takedown/pivot pin for the upper and lower receivers?   The 1990s were transitional years for Colt and there will be variations.  

If it has the standard small holes, get another lower for the Colt upper that you have if its a good shooter.  Keep the Colt lower or sell it to somebody who has to have that Pony rollmark.

Also, trying to find a good trigger that takes the 0.170 inch Colt trigger and hammer pins is a huge PITA.  Geissele has them, but they are about $100 more than their other triggers with the standard 0.154 pins. 

Thanks to all who commented.  This lower does have the .170 trigger pins and the .315 takedown pins.

I don't think I want the JP yellow springs just in case I need rifle this for a defensive role when the Time of Troubles comes.  JP advises against using their yellow springs for duty or defensive work.

And, finding large-pin triggers is not a problem.  Geissele makes three large-pin models and they cost $40 more than small-pin versions.  Looking at modular trigger units, Velocity makes large-pin and small-pin versions for the same price.  

It doesn't appear that anyone believes the theory that a sear-block Colt lower has any collector value, so I think I'll just go ahead and cut the sear block out.  It's probably easier than selling this lower and finding another Colt lower to replace it.

Thanks again,
Whisper

Geissele makes a trigger for these odd pin sized Colt's.

Click: https://geissele.com/hi-speed-national-match-large-pin-trigger-set.html

There are 3 to choose from:

Hi-Speed National Match Large Pin - Trigger Set

1st Stage 2nd Stage Total Weight
Service Rifle 3.2 - 5 lbs. 0.5 - 1.5 lbs. 4.5 - 6.5 lbs.
DMR 2.5 - 3.6 lbs. 0.5 - 1.5 lbs. 3.0 - 5.1 lbs.
Match Rifle 1.5 - 2.5 lbs. 6.0 - 14 oz. 1.9 - 3.4 lbs

FULL DESCRIPTION

Hi-Speed National Match Triggers - Large Pin Series
Geissele Automatics currently offers three large pin Hi-Speed trigger products.  These adjustable triggers are specially designed for competition, hunting, tactical, and military use, where both accuracy and robustness are critical. As an adjustable trigger, the first and second stage weight distribution, as well as, total pull weight, over-travel, and sear engagement are all to be tuned to the shooters preference.

The Geissele Service Trigger
The Geissele Hi-Speed Service Rifle Trigger is designed for NRA High Power Service Rifle competition. It is an approved trigger for use in CMP sanctioned competitions such as: National Trophy, NTIT and all Excellence In Competition matches. Service Rifle competitions require military-based weapons to meet certain criteria, one of which is a minimum trigger pull weight of 4.5 lbs. Our Service Rifle Trigger includes our exclusive 5-Coil trigger spring which will give a nominal 4 lbs. on first stage. The Service trigger pull weights are biased with most of the pull weight on the first stage. This will allow a light second stage with an icicle-sharp break, effectively giving your weapon a match-grade trigger let-off. 

The Geissele DMR Trigger
The Geissele Hi-Speed Designated Marksman Rifle Trigger is designed for tactical and military shooting where trigger pull weight is not regulated. Perfect for all precision tactical shooting and squad Designated Marksmen, the higher second stage weight helps in high-stress shooting situations.  

The Geissele Match Trigger
The Geissele Hi-Speed Match Rifle Trigger is designed for NRA High Power Rifle competition with highly modified AR-15 Space guns. AR-15 Space guns are the Formula 1 weapons of High Power Rifle competition. With very few restrictions, these highly customized semi-automatic weapons are intended to produce extreme accuracy at long range. The Geissele Match Trigger is a perfect Space gun add-on as the pull weight can be adjusted to low levels that enhance trigger control. The fast lock time assists the shooter in getting every ounce of accuracy out of his weapon. The Hi-Speed hammer uses a full-power hammer spring which imparts more kinetic energy into the firing pin, producing much more consistent primer ignition - especially with experimental cartridges or AR-10 based weapons.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Size 1990-2009 Colt Large Pin
Trigger Bow Type M4 Curved
Weapon Platform AR15/AR10

It's not cheap, but I have many of his high end triggers and feel they're all worth the price. :up: