Ruger or S&W

Smith55

It depends on what you want. If it's a smaller five shot .38/.357 then the Model 60 is hard to beat but the SP-101, though slightly larger, is a little more comfortable to shoot with .357 Magnum rounds. If its a 6 shot .38/367 the 3" barrel Ruger GP-100 is a bit larger and heavier then the 2.5" barrel S&W M-19/66 and again a little bit more comfortable o shoot with .357 Magnum rounds. The S&W 686 has been available with a 2.5" barrel and size wise is on par with he GP-100. Overall I prefer 1970-1980's S&W revolvers. My personal recommendation is go with the GP-100. 

Edited by TNWNGR
  • Like 3

I will take a Smith any day over a Ruger. The Smith will generally have an overall better fit and finish. I am not saying the Ruger is garbage, but they generally have stiffer triggers and often leave the factory with burs or slight imperfections. 

• Like 1

If you never had a short barrel .357 then you should get one.  I've had a fair pile of them over the years.  Regardless the frame size of the revolver a semi auto will give you more rounds down range.  Both Ruger and S&W will get the job done, with the S&W probably smoother out of the box, but either can be made to run pretty nice.  The short barrel versions certainly aren't target guns and the .357 out of a short barrel is pretty inefficient.  Something really satisfying shooting a .357 out of a 6" barrel. I had some fun with a little 2" Taurus titanium ported .357.  Really, the only thing that revolver was good for was to load it up and find some know it all at the range and say, "Man, I can't shoot this little revolver very well, will you show me how?"  I never had anyone who shot that revolver say, "Boy that was sure fun, load it up again!"

Edited by graycrait

I've had numerous S&W revolvers and my favorite is a 686-4P with 4" barrel length (4th revision of that model, 7-shot).  I also had a 3" barrel GP100 from Ruger and it was super smooth...a little heavy, but a great gun with six shots.  I would agree that the Ruger is probably the one you need if you're going to drop it off a 12-story building.  However, I would give the overall high score to the 686 Smith & Wesson (preferably without an internal lock).  The internals are a little different, but that Ruger had a very smooth trigger, almost as good as the S&W.  Someday I would love to have a 686 with a 2.5" or 3" barrel.  Best wishes, B

If you're gonna shoot the crap out of it, and carry it in your truck, or while in the woods cutting down trees, get a Ruger GP100....    If you're going to leave it in the safe and show it off to people at the shooting range, get a S&W....    Both good guns, just depends on how much you want to spend and how pretty of a gun you want.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, graycrait said:

The short barrel versions certainly aren't target guns and the .357 out of a short barrel is pretty inefficient. 

I would not hardly call .357 in any length barrel inefficient. I believe one of the most exaggerated facts is that of the .357 magnum loosing energy in a short barrel. I have a 1.87" barrel scandium S&W that is still launching the standard 158 gr magnums over 1100fps. That same 158 gr magnum has always produced 1250fps in a 4" revolver. Remember, the same 158 gr 38 spl load, standard pressure, is right at 800fps which is often not enough velocity to expand.

There are a few light 357 magnum loads on the market that I prefer for the j frames. One is the almost non-existent 135 gr Gold Dot. And the other is the readily available 125 gr Golden Sabre. I get a little less than 1000 fps out of a 360 with the Golden Sabre and can stand to shoot more than I can afford. Both of these mimic 9mm performance. So a 2" bbl revolver will be the equivalent of a 3" 9mm auto. My favorite 357 is a pre-lock 3" model 60. I haven't chronographed the Golden Sabres but I think they are about 1100 in the 3" and standard 158 gr magnums are probably 1200 fps. image_zps83lybhqh.jpeg

Edited by Patton
  • Like 2

My Ruger LCR .357 goes with me everywhere. Sometimes IWB but mostly pocket carry. My 3 inch GP100 is a great truck gun or hiking in OWB holster. My S&W 686+ is also very sweet and will ride in the same holster as my GP 100. I have a 40 year old S&W model 66 that I break out of the safe for target shooting about twice a year. All great guns, you just need to decide how you plan to use it.

I dearly love the Smith & Wesson revolver and have a bunch of them. But being the ornery old cuss I am, S&W hasn't made a wheel gun I've been interested in for about 20 years now since they started making "changes". :censored:

I never could warm up to the GP-100. Bulky, clunky and has the ergonomics of a brick. The SP-101 is a nice little gun. But I'm not sure if I'd want to shoot a lot of .357s through one of those light things. I think I'd give out after just a few rounds.

JMHO, but I think the old Ruger "Six" series revolvers were the best they ever made. Perfect size, good looks and Hell for stout. I think the dumbest thing Ruger ever did was to discontinue these fine revolvers. I've been watching out for a nice  2 5/8" Security Six for several years now.

So if I was you, I'd be looking at used guns. Either the older S&Ws or a Ruger Six series. Either would serve you well. :up:

• Like 2

I'm an SP owner.

Got a 2" which I, with Iowegan's Gun Guide,  did some light trigger work and spring swapping. Learned some skills and it's better than factory. 

It was my original EDC, upgraded with fiber optic front sight and Trausch Grips. 

Received a 3" Gemini Custom as a gift, it's pretty darn sweet.

For SD, I currently have. 38+p Speed GD and the Win PDX equivalent. I can get back on target more quickly and reduce muzzle flash (assuming a low light situation)

I shoot .357 at the range when I'm feeling inadequate and need the attention from the fireball and retort.

What do you expect out of it? A short barreled revolver isn't a target gun, so can I assume you are going to use it as a carry gun, or will it just be a range toy?

Accuracy isn't going to be an issue with either on a belly gun, so its large frame, small frame, stainless, blue, nickel, adjustable sights, no sights, 5 shot, 6 shot, 7, 8 etc.

Both are quality revolvers, the Smith & Wesson will have better resale if you sell it, but it will also cost more when you buy it. S&W has every option imaginable; Ruger is more limited in choices.

I don't own any revolvers and have less than five my entire life. Just not a revolver guy unless it has a specific purpose. I won't buy a revolver to carry. 

Because of that I have nothing to contribute. 

I will say there are published 9mm load data for a 147 grain bullet at 1,200 fps. That is not a +p load so there is some room for more velocity in a gun designed for higher pressures. 

1 hour ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

I will say there are published 9mm load data for a 147 grain bullet at 1,200 fps. That is not a +p load so there is some room for more velocity in a gun designed for higher pressures. 

I’m not sure what you are saying, can you elaborate? Most of us that use revolvers in defensive scenarios (carry, home defense) are using 158 grain JHP .357Mag.

Having had S&W 28s, 19s, 66's, 65's, 60s as well as GP and SP Rugers, and one DW .357, I find myself without any revolvers nowdays.

The good thing about revolvers over most "normal" pistols is that you can't have fun at the range with a pistol like you can with a revolver.  One day another fella and I were shooting some hot Buffalo Bore .357 out of an 2.25" SP101 I had given an internal fluff and buff.  We would encourage guys to come over and shoot that "little" revolver.  I just loved watching their determined yet somewhat pained expressions, if not just plain surprise, coming over their faces when they pulled the trigger.  Then there was that little ported titanium J Frame Taurus I had for a month or two.   I would load it up with 158 grain JHP .357 and hand it off to fellas at the range. To see their expressions after that first shot made me giggle like a school girl.

One day I put a loaded SP101 on the scale sitting on my work bench.  Then I put a loaded Glock 19 on that scale.  Economics dictated I keep only 1.  I still have the Glock.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 2:30 PM, TNWNGR said:

It depends on what you want. If it's a smaller five shot .38/.357 then the Model 60 is hard to beat but the SP-101, though slightly larger, is a little more comfortable to shoot with .357 Magnum rounds. If its a 6 shot .38/367 the 3" barrel Ruger GP-100 is a bit larger and heavier then the 2.5" barrel S&W M-19/66 and again a little bit more comfortable o shoot with .357 Magnum rounds. The S&W 686 has been available with a 2.5" barrel and size wise is on par with he GP-100. Overall I prefer 1970-1980's S&W revolvers. My personal recommendation is go with the GP-100. 

Having started my gun life as a revolver shooter, I agree with your comments, mostly.

I do have an SP101 and a GP100, as well as a 686 and a couple of Smith 19 pistols. While the Rugers are built like tanks and probably more long-term durable than the Smiths, I can't wipe the smile off my face when I take out a Model 19.

The 19 is just the pinnacle of the Smith revolver for me. I shoot them better than the Ruger, I guess that's why I favor them. The 4" is a great tackdriver, and the 19 snubbie with T-grip is just plain fun to shoot as well. And either of them are accurate out to the edge of my capabilities and far beyond.

But not dissing the Rugers. They just feel different to me. The hammerless 101 is just plain sweet.