Stick and string?

Gave all my bowhunting equipment to my granddaughter and her boyfriend yesterday at a family get together. Compound bow, crossbow and recurve long bow. Her boyfriend likes to bowfish and she was needing a bow to use to bowfish with him.Too old to bowhunt , better enjoy bow hunting while you are young and physically able, old age happens quick.

I've been hard at it for a couple months. I've been practicing with my PSE Triton but just got my Mathews Switchback back from an overhaul at the shop and shot it for first time today. Went to Bass Pro this evening and bought a Summit Viper SD. I've been using the Viper Classic for about the last 15 years or so and the SD sure is nice to have now! Have a few decent bucks on camera, plenty of doe which should be good for rut when it hits. Oh, and I'm sick at my stomach with anticipation for opening day!!!!

4 hours ago, rugerla1 said:

I've been hard at it for a couple months. I've been practicing with my PSE Triton but just got my Mathews Switchback back from an overhaul at the shop and shot it for first time today. Went to Bass Pro this evening and bought a Summit Viper SD. I've been using the Viper Classic for about the last 15 years or so and the SD sure is nice to have now! Have a few decent bucks on camera, plenty of doe which should be good for rut when it hits. Oh, and I'm sick at my stomach with anticipation for opening day!!!!

I have the Viper SD also. Great stand. You'll appreciate the difference the first time you have to carry it a distance. The lighter weight sure helps me.

• Like 1

Rugerla I love my switchback. Hands down the best bow I've owned. I started practicing at the beginning of Aug. As I get older it takes longer to get in shape. I don't have tons of places to hunt but they always seem to produce a few coyote and a deer or two. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Howler said:

Rugerla I love my switchback. Hands down the best bow I've owned. I started practicing at the beginning of Aug. As I get older it takes longer to get in shape. I don't have tons of places to hunt but they always seem to produce a few coyote and a deer or two. 

I've heard nothing but awesome words from shops and previous owners of Switchbacks. My uncle bought it knew 10 years ago (give or take a year) and he's meticulous about his equipment. So when he said he was selling it, I jumped at it. I'll never sell it since I put more money into updating it than I paid for it haha. It really does shoot sweet, I just came in from practicing with it when I decided to check this forum. Gonna shoot some more today. I need to change a camera card and play with my new climber, then off to work to knock one of the remaining weeks out before season opens :rock:

Anyone bow hunt from the ground?  I harvested my first deer last year (rifle) from the ground and it had walked right toward me to maybe 40 yards away.  I have a feeling I got lucky that one came that close with me out in the open on the ground.  

53 minutes ago, BlessTheUSA said:

Anyone bow hunt from the ground?  I harvested my first deer last year (rifle) from the ground and it had walked right toward me to maybe 40 yards away.  I have a feeling I got lucky that one came that close with me out in the open on the ground.  

I prefer a tree stand, but I have shot nice bucks from the ground. One of my favorite was in Western Maryland. I was hunting near the top of a ridge (sitting on the ground) when I had that feeling. I turned slowly to see a nice 8 standing only 20yrds behind me! I was sitting behind some large boulders, so I turned SLOWLY (seemed like forever, lol) and shot him broadside at 20yds with my rifle. He ran down the hill and died on the trail. :)

A couple of years ago, my dad and I went bow hunting. It was around mid-day, and I was helping my dad get up his tree with his climber first, then I was going to head off to my tree with my climber. Well, as he was hauling his bow up the tree a big doe walked to within 20 yds of me standing right there! My bow and gear was a few dozen yards back on the trail. I just stood there helpless wondering if this doe was going to try to stomp me, lol. She walked up, stood there, looked at me for a minute then bolted. The whole time my dad's bow was dangling by a string halfway up his stand. Made me feel a little stupid, haha.

I think if you are still enough and the wind is right, hunting from the ground can be a lot of fun. I still prefer a tree for the visibility though.

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1