Taurus PT 111 G2

lock n' load

I just purchased a Taurus PT111 Millennium G2 at Bass Pro for $279. My normal EDC is my Glock 23. I've never owned a Taurus and have been kind of hesitant to buy one due to some of their quality issues they have had in the past. I liked the price and the feel of the PT111 G2. I had read some favorable reviews of the P111 G2 before I bought it. I would like to switch out the Taurus with the Glock for my EDC from time to time. I am hoping from feedback from those that may own one on the pros and cons of the gun. My biggest question I have is would you trust your life to one for EDC..at least from time to time?

Edited by lock n' load

You will find many opinions on the Taurus line, most of them in the negative.

I'm not one of them. I have owned more than I can count and can say the only one that ever gave me any issue was a Model 94 22lr revolver. It was terribly inaccurate. I returned it to the dealer and got a full refund for it. They sent it back to Taurus, who sent me a free replacement for the pistol. It was perfect.

Now as far as their autoloaders, I currently have 6 of them. From a Gen 1 Pt111 to a Gen 2 24/7 and a couple of 1911s. None have ever given me a problem.

Do I carry them as a primary defensive weapon? Not normally. Not because of issues of distrust of the Taurus line, but more because I prefer other pistols more.

I won't try to convince you that Taurus hasn't had problems recently, and more than most people are comfortable with at that.

But Taurus pistols fill a niche as an affordable, entry level pistol, and as a serviceable range, backup, truck/car, or just a home hideout gun.

Are they the equal of all other brands? I would have to say probably not. Are they the piece of crap many say? No. I don't think so.

Now...would I carry it as an EDC? If it was all I owned or could afford, and I'd shot it enough to be comfortable with its capabilities; I believe I could carry it for defense.

Just my personal opinion. Now if you want more comments on the Taurus products, visit the TaurusArmed.net forum. Yes, it does exist. There are a lot of people who like and carry them daily.

• Like 2

Had one that I found to be utterly reliable. I put about 500 rounds through without a hitch. Carried it on occasion, but it's hard to find holsters for them. Ended up using an XDm holster. I think its the best bang for you buck in the low budget category. 6 months ago, you could purchase these fot $199.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

New to guns (except shotgun I have had for 62 years bought when I was 16 years old). Recently (Dec 2015) got interested in shooting.  Just saying, I am not qualified to make a judgement. 

First bought a 22 Ruger (SR22 I think is model), then a BB CO2 Pistol, then a 10 Pump BB Rifle (both Crossman), then a Remington 22 Rifle with scope, then a Break Barrel Pellet.

Then related to this article, a TAURUS PT111 Millennium G2 a few months ago. I am astonished at the prices posted here for recent purchase - Normal retail price now is $199 and I paid $189 at Floyd's Golf and Guns in Sevierville, TN. (one extra clip came with it).

I like the safety items except safety has to be off to rack the slide (my 22 Ruger can be on safe), I like the feel of the grip, I like being able to fire again (double action) if there is a misfire, I like the indicator that a round is in the chamber (not that one should not check manually).    

Trigger pull is my only complaint (break over is way back and a bit high on pounds -- that said by an inexperienced pistol shooter, but confirmed on U-Tube evaluations by EXPERTS :-) ).  Long story on trigger and my inexperience - suffice to say that the difference between double action and single action led me to believe the gun was broke and I was so convinced that I convinced TAURUS to take the gun in. Fortunately, I realized with the help of the dealer that it was me (Dumb Dumb) not pulling the trigger in single action. TAKE TOO LONG to explain that, so, don't ask. :-( Anyway, it did not get sent in.

My accuracy was so much worse with the Taurus than the BB Pistol or the 22 Ruger, that I thought the gun was off (shooting left and low most rounds). Finally, read a book on Handling Handguns which stressed ACCURACY is related to TRIGGER PULL and trigger jeerk can cause left and low.

Bought some snap caps and been Dry Firing a lot. Last time at range - 20 rounds from 20 feet at 4 inch target was much better (PICTURE Included). Hey, I'm not ready for competition (never will be). GROAN  The ones to the left mostly came on the last part of the 20 rounds.

Other than that -- the first time I shot the Taurus using Brass and some Steel Casing (MaxTech), I had one (1) jam and two (2) fail to loads with the steel (only shot about 40 rounds all together that day). 

Since then been shooting brass and steel (probably 250 rounds and more steel than brass) with no failures. I did clean the steel off with an alcohol rag as suggested by a bass pro Sales Person. Bought some more steel and gonna try without cleaning. Also, bought more brass.    

Compare the 9MM to four clips with the 22 Ruger (same day) and usually do better with the 22. 

DSCN5138.JPG

DSCN5136.JPG

DSCN5137.JPG

Edited by PAULSHOOT
3 hours ago, PAULSHOOT said:

Trigger pull is my only complaint (break over is way back and a bit high on pounds -- that said by an inexperienced pistol shooter, but confirmed on U-Tube evaluations by EXPERTS :-) ).  Long story on trigger and my inexperience - suffice to say that the difference between double action and single action led me to believe the gun was broke and I was so convinced that I convinced TAURUS to take the gun in. Fortunately, I realized with the help of the dealer that it was me (Dumb Dumb) not pulling the trigger in single action. TAKE TOO LONG to explain that, so, don't ask. :-( Anyway, it did not get sent in.

I am disappointed to hear this.  I'd hoped the trigger would break sooner in single action mode on the G2 version of that part of Taurus' line.  It definitely takes some work to adjust to such a late break.

I think (inexperienced opinion, except experienced for amount of Dry Firing I have done lately -- most of that was Double action) that the trigger break is about the same (Single or Double). Of course you feel resistance in the trigger in double action mode as soon as you start to pull it.

Go to U-Tube and search on Taurus --- I think the name of the guy is Hickcock 45 or Hancock 45 (long winded, but gives the gun a good rating except for trigger breaking so far back). Bigger problem for him with large hands. Taht said, he knocks the targets dead. If I could shoott hat good, I would not worry about it. . 

• Like 1

Taurus is a mixed bag insofar as reliability and quality goes but I've had good success with some of their product line and particularly like the PT-111. I wouldn't worry about the purchase and recommend you shoot the pistol extensively and enjoy it. Far to many people worry about an overly heavy trigger DA rigger pull. Just shoot it, you'll adapt to it and I time the DA trigger will improve just a wee bit.

Jeff Quinn @ Gunblast.com did a review on the PT-11 G2 http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-PT111G2.htm  I pretty much have the same opinion of the PT-111 G2 as him and if I were in the market for one I'd purchase such w/o concern. Enjoy your recent purchase.

• Like 1

I've carried my PT145 for years without issue.  It was my first "carry pistol" and I think I bought it around 2003.  I'd call the trigger a little spongy, but not much different than most other striker fired pistols I've shot. 

The PT111 G2 is virtually the same gun, and is based of their 24/7 platform that was created for a military bid to replace the M92 a number of years ago. 

12 hours ago, Esko 270 said:

It's just an old truck gun but I have a PT 92 AF I have had for several years and put several thousand rounds through it and never had one hiccup.

Those were some really good guns, the initial 1911 knock offs that Taurus did were really good to.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Maybe getting a little better with the 9MM as compared to the pictures posted earlier. I was on a Motorcycle ride and took the Taurus 9MM and the Ruger 22 along in case I ended up close to the range (to be honest sort of had it planned to end up close to the range). The range is North Cumberland WMA (TN) located near intersection of I-75 and Hwy 63 North of Knoxville, TN. 

I only had a couple clips (not fully loaded - like 10 or 11 in each) and was sort of time rushed. I was on the 150 yard range as the 50 and 100 were occupied (NO, I was not trying to shoot at 150 yards HA!). Couple of guys were shooting when i got there and they were nearly finished. They offered to let me shoot, but I hung out with them until they left.

I walked down range and set up a couple targets (actually found two used ones that were 6 inch and repaired the holes in them for use with the 9MM - need bigger target so I can see where I hit HA!).

The first picture shows the gate at the 100 and 150 yard range. They are separated shooting areas (100 on left and 150 on right after the gate). 

Anyway, I think I did a bit better than previous with the 9MM, still mostly left. Realize these are 6 inch targets.  

Matter of fact - the Ruger 22 Pistol was not a lot better. The fourth clip of 22 (last picture) was way off (blame it on rushing and being old, 78yrs old, and tired). HA! The 22 targets are 4 inch and 3 inch.

PS: Some of these shots were sort of a draw and shoot (simulated draw as gun was not in holster, just held it down at the side and then raised to shoot with a bit of aiming).     

DSCN8026.JPG

DSCN8029.JPG

DSCN8031.JPG

DSCN8033.JPG

DSCN8034.JPG

• 4 weeks later...