Preppers and Ham Radio Repeaters

R_Bert

Well, it seems we have a small infestation of preppers. I always thought they liked to operate in the shadows and avoid attention - but these *idiots* blundered into the input of a 250-mi range repeater system. Wow.

How to avoid attention - 1. get a ham radio call-sign, 2. stay out of system inputs.

Y'all preppys out there might want to figure that out.

* -  no, preppers in general are not idiots.  Just the ones I am speaking of.  Turns out even it they are illegal, dumb as rock, and broadcasting over 1/3 of Tennessee, Kentucky, and North Carolina - their fellow brethren who are licensed/legal in ham radio do not like for them to be called idiots. (and certainly let me know today, a few dozen times on a radio forum)

Edited by R_Bert
4 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

What happened? Someone was giving plans to the Rebel base over the airwaves?

nah.  Just broadcasting themselves over ~20,000 square miles. They *do* apparently lack a license to operate there, and annoy the **** out of the thousand or so other system users. 

They can get a license very easily.  Info found at http://www.arrl.org/exam_sessions/search  

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, R_Bert said:

Well, it seems we have a small infestation of preppers. I always thought they liked to operate in the shadows and avoid attention - but these idiots blundered into the input of a 250-mi range repeater system. Wow.

How to avoid attention - 1. get a ham radio call-sign, 2. stay out of system inputs.

Y'all preppys out there might want to figure that out.

License?  They don't need NO license-they'd rather pay the fines for illegal operation.

3 minutes ago, tnhawk said:

License?  They don't need NO license-they'd rather pay the fines for illegal operation.

That would be a heck of a budget, then.  FCC is currently zapping some unlicensed dude in NY for $12K/day/violation.  Right now, he is liable for ~$140K.  It is also silly to *attract* unwanted attention.

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, R_Bert said:

and worse... those sheeple ham operators won't talk either. :ph34r:

I got my license and quickly realized that the only thing to do in town is to hit the big repeater at night and say hello.  Other than that, there isn't hardly any traffic and its not even worth doing.  

And if the SHTF for real, who gives a crap about a license.  Emergency throws licensing out the window. 

Edited by Capbyrd
  • Like 2
I got my license and quickly realized that the only thing to do in town is to hit the big repeater at night and say hello.  Other than that, there isn't hardly any traffic and its not even worth doing.  

And if the SHTF for real, who gives a crap about a license.  Emergency throws out of the licensing out the window. 

The last time I fired up the 2m rig, all I found was a bunch of people talking about their latest medical problem.
  • Like 1

We have a fair amount of decent activity down this end of the state.

Folk around here complain about "no activity", but due to mountaintop repeaters, it is substantially more active than Atlanta or Memphis (I think).

real-time SHTF still requires planning, setup, and practice. That is where the license comes in handy.  You can then do those things with little fanfare or attention to yourself.  And...  sans practice, real SHTF Coms are chaotic, even counterproductive.

Next, .gov already knows who you are, so an address in >one more database< won't make a lot of difference. 

Don't kid yourself that you are hidden just because you don't have a license for a radio. 

Don't kid yourself that you can find a "hidden" frequency.  In the day of SDR technology, anyone can hear you...instantly (bandscope & DVR are common now. Finding you might take slightly longer, but you if you are on the air, you are already known by anyone with a few $ of Amazon.com gear like an SDRPlay)

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1
On 9/6/2016 at 9:28 AM, 56FordGuy said:

The last time I fired up the 2m rig, all I found was a bunch of people talking about their latest medical problem.

Plenty of that on 80m & 40m too.  Drop down to the CW portion of 40m at night and listen to all the Spanish speaking freebanders... good way to practice your copying skills ;)

On 9/6/2016 at 3:11 PM, R_Bert said:

Don't kid yourself that you can find a "hidden" frequency.  In the day of SDR technology, anyone can hear you...instantly (bandscope & DVR are common now. Finding you might take slightly longer, but you if you are on the air, you are already known by anyone with a few $ of Amazon.com gear like an SDRPlay)

Kind of takes the fun out of a fox hunt, doesn't it?

2 hours ago, NextExit said:

Plenty of that on 80m & 40m too.  Drop down to the CW portion of 40m at night and listen to all the Spanish speaking freebanders... good way to practice your copying skills ;)

Kind of takes the fun out of a fox hunt, doesn't it?

Apparently not too much.  They had a blast fox hunting today at the King Family Library in Sevierville.  Did you attend?

I am recovering from surgery, so did not make this one

(apparently foxes like tomato plants)

14224789_1184376901629562_5766570685369148747_n[1].jpg

14257671_1483254285025113_7289113599225406910_o[1].jpg

Edited by R_Bert
26 minutes ago, NextExit said:

Didn't even know about it.  :shrug:

Hams Helping Hams series of forums - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1380163888675991/ will have announcements.  There is a monthly forum at the King Library over the next year.  It's free, and anyone may attend. You do not have to be a ham operator.

I think either October or November is Advanced Foxhunting

Edited by R_Bert

most ham repeaters require a pl tone and arent that isusceptible to being nailed on fmrs. if youre talking about preppers bootleggin their way on to ham repeaters unlicensed, well thats wrong, go get a license....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, its either this or smoke signals!