Model 10 With Strange Grip Accessory

Ramjo

Tyler grip adaptor. Have been used on many of these revolvers to adjust for a better grip for some.

So they are not old or anything it would appear. I did see that they are still being produced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a T-grip on a Smith Model 19 snubbie. It makes a hard to hold pistol a dream to shoot. I'm looking at the possibility of ordering a couple for some j-frames.

Yeah it's got me wanting one for my 19-5 snub

Just now, Ramjo said:

Yeah it's got me wanting one for my 19-5 snub

You will love it! If you don't, just send the t-grip to me. Seriously...it is a great addition to the small grips on pocket guns. I've never liked the grips on j-frames and the small Colts. I'm just not comfortable with them.

38 minutes ago, graycrait said:

http://www.t-grips.com/

I'm not sure how the Tyler t-grip business is doing these days, best do some research before jumping...

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/188583-tyler-t-grip-company-shutdown-shipping-again-15.html

This might be a better option:  http://bkgrips.com/

Thanks for that link buddy. It might be worth a try on one to see how they stand up next to the Tyler.

SampW640_zpsd9333f2d.jpg

I've worn a Tyler grip adapter along with a set of Barami Hip Grips on my S&W 640 since the early '90's. My father carried a 3" J frame in the same setup.

The slip on rubber grip sleeve is for a PPK and adds no bulk as far as concealment goes, but makes a big difference in regards to control-ability imho.

With the above setup I have the option for belt carry or pocket carry...options are Good!

http://www.baramihipgrip.com/

Edited by prag
link
2 hours ago, prag said:

SampW640_zpsd9333f2d.jpg

I've worn a Tyler grip adapter along with a set of Barami Hip Grips on my S&W 640 since the early '90's. My father carried a 3" J frame in the same setup.

The slip on rubber grip sleeve is for a PPK and adds no bulk as far as concealment goes, but makes a big difference in regards to control-ability imho.

With the above setup I have the option for belt carry or pocket carry...options are Good!

http://www.baramihipgrip.com/

If I need more grip I use an innertube from a bicycle. Depending how you cut it out they have some lines molded in that help it stay in your hands. And it doesn't permanently alter the pistol.

Something else I have seen people do is wrap the gun's grip in plastic wrap. Then take a small amount of automotive body filler and put it on the front of the grip on top of the plastic on the front of the grip. Then grip the gun and slowly squish the body filler with your fingers until it feels comfortable to you. Let it harden then smooth it with sandpaper. And finally removed the plastic and use the innertube to hold the body filler in place. That gives you a grip molded to your hands. And if you screw up it is easy to redo.

You could probably do a few dozen pistols from a single tube. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

Pretty sure Tyler also made trigger shoes that set screw into the existing trigger to make the trigger  feel lighter. I have quite a few of them in a junk box. 

Yep they still make 'em Dolo. While I was never a fan of trigger shoes, a few guys I used to shoot with back in Kansas City were fans of them. That was in the '80's though and revolvers were the rule of the day.

I've bicycle inner tubes for more than a few things. Very useful piece of gear to have around.

Melvin Tyler invented the T-Grip back in the 1950s when there really weren't a lot of great options for revolver grips.  They proved to be very popular as they weren't expensive and worked very well. Tyler Manufacturing always was a small, family owned business and even at its best had trouble keeping up with demand. When Melvin died, the company went to hell. Orders were taking way too long to be filled and there were long periods of no production at all. His heirs were poor business people. There was a lot of bickering, in-fighting and I do believe they eventually ended up in court. The company was finally sold. 

The current owner is trying to get the company back on its feet, but is having trouble doing so. From what I understand, its a part time thing for him. With all the good grip options available today, demand isn't what it once was. Tyler Manufacturing is still in business and taking orders. But last I heard current wait time is running 3 months or more and nobody answers the phone if you call to check on your order. So you pretty much send in your money, wait and hope for the best. 

Pachmyer and Smith & Wesson both made their own version of the T-grip in the past. I've tried the B.K. Grip adapters, but didn't care for them as the early versions tended to shift around a bit. I hear they are better now. 

FWIW: I have several guns fitted with T-Grips and am very happy with them.