(Re) Holstering IWB Holster

I recently purchased a Blackhawk IWB Holster for my S&W M&P 9 Compact. So far I'm pretty happy, as it appears to have solved my biggest problem w/ the OWB holster I previously carried with (gun 'flopping' away from my body, obvious bulge, have even bumped it up against people when passing by in tight quarters). However a new problem has cropped up.... putting it in the holster.

I was practicing drawing from concealment w/ the new holster this morning. I would draw, fire 2 rounds, and return to holster to repeat. (Re)Inserting the gun into the holster when IWB is a bit precarious, and very nerve-wracking, in part due to the gun itself. There is no safety, and I carry it w/ a round in the chamber (so an unintentional discharge only takes a tap of the trigger, something that appears quite possible when putting the gun in there!). I pushed my butt 'out' when re-holstering so as not to hit myself if it did go off, but this problem exists whenever inserting the gun into the holster...  So what's the safest way to (re) holster a gun IWB?

- Kevin

You're thinking RefferMac! You are far ahead of the pack brother!

Reholstering any handgun should always be a deliberate and purposeful act. There is no such critter as "speed reholstering". 

I've carried daily for at least 26 years and I am always cautious when reinserting the gun back into the holster..external safety of not. I predominately carry a G 19 appendix IWB. There is nothing wrong with "looking the gun" into the holster, with the "tilt" of the base of the holster out as you mentioned. It will become more intuitive over time..but one should never become complacent with any aspect of gun handling.  IMHO the majority of self inflicted gunshot wounds come from complacency and inattention.

Dolo of course is right. Dry Fire practice is essential for improvement. Practice with dummy rounds or simply an empty gun will gain you a lot in the long run.

I'm not familiar with the holster you cited, but as long as it's secure and doesn't shift I'm sure it'll serve you well.

I second shotgunshooter's recommendation for professional training, especially with Randy (Cruel Hand Luke). But he's a friend, so I am biased.

Ingraining skills under a watchful professional eye such as with Randy can help prevent training scars which take a good bit of effort to "unlearn".

:2cents:

Edited by prag
sp
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, prag said:

Your thinking RefferMac! You are far ahead of the pack brother!

Reholstering any handgun should always be a deliberate and purposeful act. There is no such critter as "speed reholstering". 

+1000 on these 2 points EXACTLY

• Like 1

As to your question I would add when training, have a 'spotter'.  Someone that can make sure you are directing into the holster.  Finger is indexed properly and off the frame, no clothing is in the way, and you are proceeding  s l o w l y.  Most NDs will occur on presentation or re-holstering.  As Dolo said, dry practice is available at no charge.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I do appreciate the replies!

I did dry-practice 15-20 times before trying it w/ live ammunition, but that's what made me wonder if I was 'doing it right'.

The blackhawk is similar to most other IWB holster's I've seen, leather plate, plastic cover molded into the shape of the gun...

But like I was saying, it's the condition of the gun that creates the concern for me. It is striker fired and has no external safety. When inserting the gun into the holster (whether practicing or suiting up for carry), it's hot and loaded. While the trigger isn't especially sensitive, an errant piece of clothing, or something else, could catch and cause a discharge. I can't think of any way to get around it? I can't close the breech while in the holster? I placed my finger across the trigger guard (tip on the forward outside edge to protect that side of the trigger), but I was still very nervous. I just can't envision any way to load the gun into the holster in any other/safer condition? I could carry w/o one in the chamber, but that would reduce my capacity and cause me to have to rack a round upon drawing, using precious seconds...

Thanks again for the input.

- K

Another important thing to learn through repetition is the angle you need to hold the pistol at to insert it STRAIGHT into the holster. Angling the weapon, or wiggling it around to find the correct angle is a good way to catch a piece of clothing, etc. It will also train you what is should feel like, and if it doesn't feel exactly like it should stop and figure out why. NEVER force it.

All other advice here applies too. Slow and deliberate, pay attention, ride your thumb on the rear of the slide, etc. Only through training/practice will you learn what it feels like to do it as safely as possible, and then be able to recognize when it doesn't feel right so you can stop...

• Like 2

You're doing everything right. Go slowly and carefully. You'll get a little more comfortable with it (and dry fire practice helps), but a little fear is a good thing, it helps keep you from getting complacent.

The only other option is to remove the holster, insert the gun, and then  put the holster back on. 

Step one - Find out if your holster can fire your weapon.  To do this unload your weapon and try to move the trigger by pushing the weapon into the holster at every conceivable angle.  If you find a way to fire the weapon either fix your holster or get a new one.  Example.  I just Dremeled some fine tuning on my new kydex holster because I found a way to move the trigger with the sweat guard.  Five minutes with the Dremel and my holster is safe for use.  

Step two - Your thumb on your stong hand locates the holster when you are done with your weapon.  It should sorta be like a hook that you index the mouth of your holster with.  Move your hand with your weapon to your belt.  Confirm your holster with your thumb.  Slide your weapon in slowly being sure to clear all your clothing and accessories such as keys, wallet chain, phone ...etc.  There is nothing wrong with looking, but the goal is to not have to in the long run.  Try again to move the trigger with the holster.  

Step three - Do it as fast and as recklessly as you can.  I'm serious, jam that weapon in your holster like your life depends on it.  Be vigorous.  If it is going to cause the trigger to move you would much rather find out now in your house with an unloaded weapon.  The cost here is only a click.  Latter on it could be much more expensive.  

Step four - Don't ever for any reason try step three with a loaded weapon.    

With a leather holster you may have to repeat this process periodically.  

Good luck.  

• Like 2

This is how I do it... 

Ignoring how fat I look in this picture, notice how I have my index (trigger) finger as far out as I can, while gripping the pistol with my other three fingers and thumb as I normally would.  I still have control over the movement of the weapon, and the index finger is irrelevant in the process.  I've gotten myself to the point of muscle memory that whenever I'm holstering a pistol my booger hook is nowhere near the bang switch and extended in that position as seen here.  It's not too hard once you get used to it.  Admittedly, I don't re-holster fast when I practice this at the range, since I don't see a super speedy re-holstering being worth the effort to learn.  An added benefit is I've found this a sound technique for both OWB and IWB holsters.

IMG_20160910_092227_zpsuwguoqtn.jpg

Edited by btq96r

I don’t ever want to use Kydex holsters. However, they present a good opening for reholstering. Using extreme care when inserting a hot weapon is just a standard safety practice. Just like being prepared for the weapon to fire when you drop the slide, or having a secure holster. Murphy likes to hang around gun owners more than other folks.

• Like 1
I don’t ever want to use Kydex holsters. However, they present a good opening for reholstering. Using extreme care when inserting a hot weapon is just a standard safety practice. Just like being prepared for the weapon to fire when you drop the slide, or having a secure holster. Murphy likes to hang around gun owners more than other folks.

Why do you dislike kydex? Is it just a comfort thing or something else?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, shotgunshooter said:

Why do you dislike kydex? Is it just a comfort thing or something else?

It’s noisy, it abrasive to the firearm, and it will melt when left in the car in Tennessee heat. Also I just really like leather. Almost all of my holsters are secured. Most Kydex holsters aren’t.

Kydex is very popular and a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to custom make at home. I just hate the sound of a quality weapon being drug across Kydex; it’s like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

However, that’s just my personal opinion. If a holster holds the weapon where you want it, protects the weapon, and keeps the weapon secure; that’s all that counts. There are leather holsters that don’t do that either.

I want to like Kydex. The cost and learning curve for making my own holsters would be much less.  biggrin.gif

I just got two Ramora holsters in the mail. They aren’t secured either, and are as cheap as holsters get. But they looked interesting for the right application.

It’s noisy, it abrasive to the firearm, and it will melt when left in the car in Tennessee heat. Also I just really like leather. Almost all of my holsters are secured. Most Kydex holsters

I will have to disagree on several of your points. Having worn a Crossbreed SuperTuck with my glocks for over 5 years now I can say the kydex hasn't harmed my weapon at all. Many times I've had to leave the holster and/or weapon in the car even during the summer and it hasn't deformed at all. I also keep a knife with a kydex sheath in the truck with no ill effects. Now I wouldn't leave them in direct sunlight.

The only part I will agree with is that holstering and unholstering is noisier than leather.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
It’s noisy, it abrasive to the firearm, and it will melt when left in the car in Tennessee heat. Also I just really like leather. Almost all of my holsters are secured. Most Kydex holsters aren’t.

Kydex is very popular and a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to custom make at home. I just hate the sound of a quality weapon being drug across Kydex; it’s like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

However, that’s just my personal opinion. If a holster holds the weapon where you want it, protects the weapon, and keeps the weapon secure; that’s all that counts. There are leather holsters that don’t do that either.

I want to like Kydex. The cost and learning curve for making my own holsters would be much less.  biggrin.gif

I just got two Ramora holsters in the mail. They aren’t secured either, and are as cheap as holsters get. But they looked interesting for the right application.

While I disagree with a few of your points I respect your opinion. Different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dane said:

I will have to disagree on several of your points. Having worn a Crossbreed SuperTuck with my glocks for over 5 years now I can say the kydex hasn't harmed my weapon at all. Many times I've had to leave the holster and/or weapon in the car even during the summer and it hasn't deformed at all. I also keep a knife with a kydex sheath in the truck with no ill effects. Now I wouldn't leave them in direct sunlight.

The only part I will agree with is that holstering and unholstering is noisier than leather.

I had a Crossbreed SuperTuck for my M&P40 and just couldn’t deal with the Kydex. I sold it and was supposed to meet the buyer after work. ( I think it was someone off this forum) I left it in my car under the seat in the original package. When I came out after work it was seriously deformed. The Kydex J-hooks had opened up to almost 90 degrees.

I will say however that I couldn’t have ask for much better support from Crossbreed. I emailed them what happened and they ask me to send it to them. Within just a few days I had a new holster in the mail. So other than the cost of sending it back to them I was back where I started.

I should have known better; Kydex is a thermoplastic. But my holster melting was just not something I was use to thinking about. biggrin.gif

Many reasons why I really like the Garrett Industries Silent Thunder holsters. Kydex shell with a leather lining. [emoji6]