1950s Spanish FR-8 HANDY DANDY Rifle Indeed

1 hour ago, Ramjo said:

I didn't think the little rifle kicked that bad. I still think the mosins are worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Mosin carbines are right thumpers indeed and I'd concur they feel like there's more recoil then the FR-8. If you haven't ever shot one get someone to let you run some rounds through an original No. 5 Enfield "Jungle Carbine" from a bench. I think its a little bit more of a thumper on the receiving end then the M-44 Mosin-Nagant.

2 hours ago, Ramjo said:

I didn't think the little rifle kicked that bad. I still think the mosins are worse.

I don't have any of the carbine Mosin's in my collection, yet. I've passed on quite a few M44's due to rough condition for too much money. I plan on getting an M44 and M38 whenever a deal crosses my path. A lot of my surplus guns haven't been fired by me. Really would like to try them out but I don't have a good range near me that I'm aware of. Working 7 days a week gives me money in the bank, but no time to enjoy any of my purchases.

I don't have any of the carbine Mosin's in my collection, yet. I've passed on quite a few M44's due to rough condition for too much money. I plan on getting an M44 and M38 whenever a deal crosses my path. A lot of my surplus guns haven't been fired by me. Really would like to try them out but I don't have a good range near me that I'm aware of. Working 7 days a week gives me money in the bank, but no time to enjoy any of my purchases.

Here lately I can relate. I worked 6 days last week and expecting the same this week.

The Mosin carbines are right thumpers indeed and I'd concur they feel like there's more recoil then the FR-8. If you haven't ever shot one get someone to let you run some rounds through an original No. 5 Enfield "Jungle Carbine" from a bench. I think its a little bit more of a thumper on the receiving end then the M-44 Mosin-Nagant.

I'd like a no5 but I have yet to find one in the condition I'd like for a reasonable price. I find a lot of them with that ugly painted looking black finish on the metal or someone will have refinished the stock to a gloss and I like them in original condition.

4 hours ago, Ramjo said:

I'd like a no5 but I have yet to find one in the condition I'd like for a reasonable price. I find a lot of them with that ugly painted looking black finish on the metal or someone will have refinished the stock to a gloss and I like them in original condition.

Plus you have to look out for conversions of No4's. I was fortunate to find mine by a guy that inherited it and wasn't into guns. Had some rust on the butt plate and light surface rust on the barrel. Those were my bargaining chips. I pulled it apart after purchase and was pleasantly surprised after being cleaned and gone over the rust with some 0000 steel wool and oil that it cleaned up nicely. Made me glad I passed on one at the Birmingham gunshow that had the bayonet and scabbard with it. He wanted $750 for both, which to me is way high. I paid half that for the one I bought with a box of surplus ammo on stripper clips. Can't complain. He had some Garand's as well, but they sold before I spoke with him. Didn't want to ask how much he wanted for them. Probably would've made me sick. 

• Like 1

That paint is Suncorite - the brits put it on
  • 2 weeks later...