It's alive, but needs just one more part...

Quick report on the M1 carbine money pit project.

It works and I'm happy.

My emotional attachment comes from rescuing, re-building and re-purposing a 70 year old military firearm.

Discovered I  have one mag with weak spring.

Had a set back with my budget optic. Millet SP1, advertised for rifles with heavier recoil. Something broke loose inside. Dot still works, glass is fine, held zero for 175 rounds and impressed it continues to work considering the EXTREME heat transfer from the aluminum handguard.

Not worried as I can return to the retailer, get a credit and upgrade.

Considering a Burris Fast fire or equivalent. I think the wider field of view will be more user friendly mounted forward of the receiver.

Note: For fun, sport or serious shooting, 100y max, in actuality 50 or less.

I know you probably did this out of personal enjoyment, but have you found out yet that you may have been able to get a complete gun for less than what was spent on the rebuilt one? That's the way it was with my arisaka I did. I saved it b/c it had a perfect mum.

10 hours ago, Ramjo said:

I know you probably did this out of personal enjoyment, but have you found out yet that you may have been able to get a complete gun for less than what was spent on the rebuilt one? That's the way it was with my arisaka I did. I saved it b/c it had a perfect mum.

Lolololol....many months ago.

I've got an "almost too nice to shoot" Bavarian import, was looking for a beater to start this project.

For  an initial  $250 investment, I though this was the one, quick stock swap and...spend more money buying tools and parts.

It was non functional when i got it, so it needed mechanical TLC.

• Like 1