An auction/ Cowboy's dream!!!

I've never seen anything like this before. There wasn't many people at this local auction, and prices for guns and knives were at near giveaway levels, so, being a good TGO member, I tried to do my part.

IMG_2710_zpsuhr1zedo.jpg

I scored an 1894 Marlin in 38-40, a Colt DA 38, A Colt Bisley in 45 Colt, a Remington New Navy Cartridge Conversion with perfect ivory grips, a Cattaraugus pocket knife, and a Winchester pocket knife.

Not pictured is a 1917 Commercial Smith and Wesson my father confiscated from me.

I guess a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.:D

• Like 12
15 minutes ago, 56FordGuy said:

You made history. I think you're the first person that's ever gotten a good deal at a gun auction. :lol:

Nice collection.

I did once before. You'll know the pretty old brick house across the road from the nuclear plant on hwy 25. They auctioned it several years back. Among the contents, they simply listed rifle. I left there with a like new pre 64 Model 70 Winchester, target barrel, in 220 Swift, complete with original sling and 12x Weaver scope for a song.

It doesn't happen often, however.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Quavodus said:

Wow, you did awesome. Did they have quite a bit of other guns and other gun related items?

Yep. A bunch of old Marlin levers, and even a Bullard rifle. The first one I can remember ever seeing in person.

Must have been a pawn shop or antique store that went out of business. They had a lot of antique metal signs, pottery, etc. as well. The metal signs brought ridiculous money, as did the silver dollars.

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2016 at 3:43 PM, leroy said:

greg...

I'm jealous brother...!  i love all this stuff... Even the 1917 commercial smith... Ya did good brother... I can't wait for ya ta take a good look at the bisley to see if it's all original...

admirin leroy...

What am I looking for, Leroy? The three serial numbers match.  It needed a new hand spring, but is rocking and rolling now. I've not found anything askew, but don't really know what I'm looking for.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, gregintenn said:

What am I looking for, Leroy? The three serial numbers match.  It needed a new hand spring, but is rocking and rolling now. I've not found anything askew, but don't really know what I'm looking for.

Take a look at an old Colt book... I think the S/N on the frame is the biggest thing... Try to date it and look to see if the barrel and cylinder "look like they belong"... As i remember, there aint any S/N related stuff on them... Look at the barrel roll marks and see if they look "period correct"... i would also give our buddies at Cherrys Fine Guns a call... They can give ya some real tips on this stuff...

Here's hopin...

admirin leroy...

• Like 1
On 9/10/2016 at 4:19 PM, gregintenn said:

I've never seen anything like this before. There wasn't many people at this local auction, and prices for guns and knives were at near giveaway levels, so, being a good TGO member, I tried to do my part.

IMG_2710_zpsuhr1zedo.jpg

I scored an 1894 Marlin in 38-40, a Colt DA 38, A Colt Bisley in 45 Colt, a Remington New Navy Cartridge Conversion with perfect ivory grips, a Cattaraugus pocket knife, and a Winchester pocket knife.

Not pictured is a 1917 Commercial Smith and Wesson my father confiscated from me.

Sounds like my Dad!

On 12/1/2016 at 2:19 PM, leroy said:

Take a look at an old Colt book... I think the S/N on the frame is the biggest thing... Try to date it and look to see if the barrel and cylinder "look like they belong"... As i remember, there aint any S/N related stuff on them... Look at the barrel roll marks and see if they look "period correct"... i would also give our buddies at Cherrys Fine Guns a call... They can give ya some real tips on this stuff...

Here's hopin...

admirin leroy...

Well, the barrel is correctly marked, the three serial numbers match, and all the assembly number I can find also match.

It obviously has very little finish left, with some pitting on the exterior. The inside of the barrel and cylinder are in pretty good shape. The cylinder is a bit loose.

Best of all, with a 208 grain .454 lead bullet on top of 5 grains of Bullseye, it'll drill the bullseye out of a target!

So it doesn't have much in the condition department, but as far as I cal tell, it's original.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Well, the barrel is correctly marked, the three serial numbers match, and all the assembly number I can find also match.

It obviously has very little finish left, with some pitting on the exterior. The inside of the barrel and cylinder are in pretty good shape. The cylinder is a bit loose.

Best of all, with a 208 grain .454 lead bullet on top of 5 grains of Bullseye, it'll drill the bullseye out of a target!

So it doesn't have much in the condition department, but as far as I cal tell, it's original.

Thanks for the help.

Greg....

I'm thrilled that ya have found this great old piece of history and that it appears to be the "real thing"... There were lots of colts that were put together by scavanging parts...   It's good ta know that a few of them survived in tact... It's also great to know that a brother "true believer" is the keeper of this great old tool of destruction... 

admirin leroy

• Like 1
On 9/10/2016 at 4:19 PM, gregintenn said:

IMG_2710_zpsuhr1zedo.jpg

Wow....that reminds me of that 57 corvette I found in a barn with only 15,000 miles.......Ohh yeah....that's a recurring dream I've had for close to 40 years........It ain't never come true though.....LOL  :P  

You REALLY done good!!!

• Like 2