Homebrew?

Murgatroy

So I was at Rural King the other day, and they had a Mr. Beer Kit for under $10. They had a two pack refill kit for under $6.

So, three cases of beer for $16, and I get to make it myself?

Sign me up.

The Heathen helped me start the first batch tonight. So in like six weeks, we will see how it turned out. I have read mixed reviews on the kit, but considerably more good than bad. The main focus is the quality control of the components. I double checked everything during assembly and it all came out solid, no leaks. I was like a surgeon during the sanitation process. So, yeah, if the kit works, it should do what it does right. I tried the Azteca style first, I guess it is supposed to be a Corona knock off.

I haven't decided if I will use the plastic bottles that came with the kit, or go full on glass press on caps. For the first batch I think I will stay cheap and use what came with it. But if it works well, I might invest in some glass bottles.

I am excited about trying beer I brewed myself.

Like I needed another hobby.

• Like 1

Home brewing is a fun hobby that is something everyone can participate in while learning new skillsets. In a lot of ways there's enough chemistry involved to be helpful for school age children. The Mr. Brew Kits are just fine to start out with and will help you decide how serious you want to get. Any dark non twist off lid beer bottle can be reused and you can by empty beer bottles. I use glass carboys to brew in gallon lots but am looking at 3 gallon carboys. You'll find your local public library has every possible home brewing book possible so spend a little time reading what you can.

• Like 1

I started making beer about a year ago. I've been making wine for years, so I had most of the equipment I needed already. I have been getting the Brewers Best kits that make 5 gallons. It's only ingredients, so you have to have all your own equipment. I like the really dark beers, like Stouts and Porters, and the few that I have made turned out pretty well. I've got a Porter finishing up in a secondary fermenter right now, and may bottle it in a week or so.

When I buy beer at the store, I always look for brands that have pop-off caps, not twist off. This way I can clean and reuse the bottles. Lately, my favorite is from Highland Brewing Company. They have some nice dark craft beers, reasonably priced, and the labels peel nicely from the bottle (the other thing I now look for in a store bought beer).  I bought a case of bottles at the beginning to get me started, but now I have plenty in stock. You can also buy reusable growlers. Walmart carries some.

The kit you bought is a single fermenter, so start to finish, you'll probably brew the beer in that one container. I start mine in a large fermenting pail, then transfer it when it is almost done fermenting into another carboy to finish. This allows you to move the beer off of most of the sediment, which gives you a cleaner beer. You'll need to drink your beer from a glass, pour slowly and leave the last little bit of beer in the bottle so as not to drink whatever sediment might be there. It won't hurt you, but it looks funky.

Here in Knoxville, we have Ferment Station, a beer and wine making supply store. They have a great selection of bulk grains and malts, if you want to get creative and make your own from scratch. They also have the 5 gallon kits, which are nice because you know what you are getting. Especially as you are just starting out and learning.

I'd like to brew my own beer. I also like dark beers and have sampled several from friends who brew, and liked the majority of them.  It seems like it would be a fun thing do, but I don't have a basement for aging them and it's just another hobby I won't have time for.  Maybe when the kids are grown. 

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

i heard that somewhere. I save 3 cases of ceramic top German beer bottles when I was there for this purpose. I haven't gotten around to it yet but am getting closer. 

Keep talking so I can live thru you guys! 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, dralarms said:

I don't make beer but I do make wine. It's more forgiving to mistakes than beer kits are.  

I always thought beer was easier to start with but harder to refine into a superior end product.

6 hours ago, peejman said:

I'd like to brew my own beer. I also like dark beers and have sampled several from friends who brew, and liked the majority of them.  It seems like it would be a fun thing do, but I don't have a basement for aging them and it's just another hobby I won't have time for.  Maybe when the kids are grown. 

You don't need a basement, the floor of one of the cooler closets (generally a hallway closet) will work jus fine. The one gallon wine or apple juice style glass carboys make an excellent beer. You can also buy kits to do a home brewed root beer that your kids will love.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dralarms said:

@tnwngr,

Nope wine is easy. No cooking.  Most of the time I freeze the fruit, dump it in a bucket add pectic enzyme and once thawed add sugar and yeast.

But the execution after fermentation is harder, petulant wine when not expecting it is a scary way to wake up in the night. Having done both off and on 10yrs, with basic English brown, I can have bottled And fermented beer in 18days, ready to drink. Never needed a cool place, room temperature is fine(70-74f) for most standard ales. I too prefer darker beers for homebrewing. I've made a bunch of wild stuff over the years, only 1 failure, my first kit similar to Mr. beer, not an infection, just odd tasting, maybe an oxidation issue....

blueberry IPA, colonial vengeance porter, double ESB's, lambics, Espresso beer(yes real espresso), honey beers, Belgian dubel and triples....everyone's favorite was always a fall/winter themed Wasail Ale with nutmeg, ginger, cinammon, honey.....

if if you like Tecate Mexican beer, you can get pop top quarts(32oz) that are perfect for a little more than 2 beers per bottle. Usually ended up 1 for the wife and 1.5 for me :)

JCT 1911...

Yep, dark beers and IPA are the least temp sensitive and have a richer flavor so I prefer them myself. But I have a lot of admiration for the more advanced, or methodical, home brewer who can craft a fine pilsner beer. My limited experience with home wine making was less then favorable but I've seen people with the most basic of equipment grow their own grapes, raspberries and elderberries and turn out exceptional tasting wine...

• Like 1

I've got 10 gallons of Kolsch fermenting right now. Rigged up a chest freezer with a digital temperature controller to keep everything at the correct temperature for fermentation. I think it's a 7cu ft, fits two 6.5 gallon carboys just perfectly. A paint can with a light bulb in it acts as a heater during the winter.

All I can say about the Mr. Beer kit is let it go longer than the instructions state after you bottle it. Most of mine were a bit undercarbonated. 

1 hour ago, TNWNGR said:

JCT 1911...

Yep, dark beers and IPA are the least temp sensitive and have a richer flavor so I prefer them myself. But I have a lot of admiration for the more advanced, or methodical, home brewer who can craft a fine pilsner beer. My limited experience with home wine making was less then favorable but I've seen people with the most basic of equipment grow their own grapes, raspberries and elderberries and turn out exceptional tasting wine...

I do miss when I lived in a more moderate climate. When in CA for 7yrs, I was able to ferment in the garage during winter(50 degrees). I did California Common beers quite a bit, similar to Anchor Steam. A good Pilsner is hard to beat, still prefer the original, Pilsner Urquell.

Edited by Jct1911
All I can say about the Mr. Beer kit is let it go longer than the instructions state after you bottle it. Most of mine were a bit undercarbonated. 

This is a great point. I don't think our kit is a Mr Beer brand, but it too was way too short on the bottling time. It said to bottle after a week, we're going at least two.
11 minutes ago, 56FordGuy said:

This is a great point. I don't think our kit is a Mr Beer brand, but it too was way too short on the bottling time. It said to bottle after a week, we're going at least two.

All my beer stays in primary fermentation for two or three weeks before I keg it. That's after making a yeast starter, using an oxygen bottle and stone for aeration, and temperature controlled fermentation. I'd let one of those little kits ferment for at least a month before bottling.

Edited by JeffL

One other quick tip: keep your fermenter in a place where you can do your transfer, either to bottles or a secondary fermenter, without having to move it. Part of the process of fermenting is to allow the lees (the gunk and dead yeast) to settle to the bottom of the container. If you move the container, all that gunk gets mixed in again.

I have a metal utility rack that I keep my hooch on while fermenting. The shelf I store the fermenting wine and beer is about three feet off the ground, which allows me to do a siphon transfer to a container that is on the floor.