September 11th.......never forget

Grand Torino

It's no exaggeration to say this event changed the course of my life in both the short and long term with all that came after.  But today I'll pause to remember those taken from us, and those who ran into the danger to save lives at ground zero.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
5 hours ago, TGO David said:

Remembrance is "milking" ??

When it's used to keep jingoistic emotional sentiment stirred up to justify never ending military action and the continued chipping away at civil liberties, you're absolutely correct that it qualifies as milking that long desicated cow for every last drop. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 3

You can mark the date and remember the fallen while at the same time deploring the more egregious consequences we inflicted on ourselves in response to it.  The two aren't mutually exclusive, and both have their place so long after that fateful day.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
5 minutes ago, btq96r said:

You can mark the date and remember the fallen while at the same time deploring the more egregious consequences we inflicted on ourselves in response to it.  The two aren't mutually exclusive, and both have their place so long after that fateful day.

But are we remembering the fallen, or are we remembering that "some filthy towelheads did that to us" so that we can also remember we're supposed to hate them?

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

But are we remembering the fallen, or are we remembering that "some filthy towelheads did that to us" so that we can also remember we're supposed to hate them?

I'm sure it's a little of both, especially with the "do something" part of the American psyche that still feels like we didn't address the immediate causes of 9/11.  Between ending the "trade tool" exemption for carry-on luggage, locking the cockpits, and our first 6-8 months in Afghanistan, followed by an active anti-terror campaign, I think we're better off.  The rest of the GWOT has been the letdown.

For myself, I choose to remember the courage of those who went without hesitation to ground zero, too many of whom died from illness brought about by the conditions there.  I know there are plenty of bad guys out there, but I'm not going to let them scare me into giving up my way of life or taking this day away from remembering what American courage looks like.

4 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

4 hours ago, 56FordGuy said:

Fixed that...

Honestly?   What next, you guys taking a knee as well.  I personally have no issue remembering this event on it's anniversary date, and deplore the fact that other important dates seem to be forgotten today, such as Dec 7, May 8, August 14-15.  

Really, maybe you guys need to try out for the NFL.

As for me, I'll take a moment to remember those lost that day and those we are still losing due to that day.

9-11-never-forget.jpg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Omega said:

I personally have no issue remembering this event on it's anniversary date, and deplore the fact that other important dates seem to be forgotten today, such as Dec 7, May 8, August 14-15.  

As for me, I'll take a moment to remember those lost that day and those we are still losing due to that day.

I prefer to remember everything we've lost due to 9-11, not just the stuff we saw on TV. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, btq96r said:

I'm sure it's a little of both, especially with the "do something" part of the American psyche that still feels like we didn't address the immediate causes of 9/11.  Between ending the "trade tool" exemption for carry-on luggage, locking the cockpits, and our first 6-8 months in Afghanistan, followed by an active anti-terror campaign, I think we're better off.  The rest of the GWOT has been the letdown.

For myself, I choose to remember the courage of those who went without hesitation to ground zero, too many of whom died from illness brought about by the conditions there.  I know there are plenty of bad guys out there, but I'm not going to let them scare me into giving up my way of life or taking this day away from remembering what American courage looks like.

you are one of those that will sacrifice Liberty for safety.   Sorry, but you're wrong.

We aren't better off. 

13 minutes ago, Omega said:

Honestly?   What next, you guys taking a knee as well.  I personally have no issue remembering this event on it's anniversary date, and deplore the fact that other important dates seem to be forgotten today, such as Dec 7, May 8, August 14-15.  

Really, maybe you guys need to try out for the NFL.

9-11-never-forget.jpg

I remember those dates as well.  And no reason to bring Kap into this.  We've discussed his decision at length and I think you'll find the same people that support Kap are against you in this thread as well.  

• Authorized Vendor
6 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Today is for remembering the attack and reflecting on the destruction and loss of life on American soil by twisted ISLAMIC terrorists.

You've got another 364 days of every year to lament our subsequent loss of liberty and weep for the poor denizens of middle eastern countries that support this kind of crap.

Well said.:up:

• Like 7
41 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Today is for remembering the attack and reflecting on the destruction and loss of life on American soil by twisted ISLAMIC terrorists.

You've got another 364 days of every year to lament our subsequent loss of liberty and weep for the poor denizens of middle eastern countries that support this kind of crap.

I've given likes to both David's and ChuckTShoes' first posts in the thread, as they both are valid in their somewhat conflicting ways.

But Garufa's best sums up my sentiment for this very day itself.

- OS

• Like 6
2 hours ago, 56FordGuy said:

I prefer to remember everything we've lost due to 9-11, not just the stuff we saw on TV. 

I got a copy of the stars and stripes from 9/12/01 framed for this purpose.  To remind me of all the freedoms that were washed away because of that day.  What is really sad is that we knew that process would start within hours of the attack.

Edited by Sam1