Bill of Sale

deafdogdief

Will this work for you?

PERSONAL BILL OF SALE OR TRANSFER OF A FIREARM
SELLER
Name: ___________________________________________________________________________
Address: _________________________________________________________________________
City: ________________________________________ State: ________ ZIP: ______________
Date of Birth: __________________ Country / County of Birth ____________________________
Citizenship: _________________ State and Driver’s License #: ____________________________
BUYER
Name: ___________________________________________________________________________
Address: _________________________________________________________________________
City: ________________________________________ State: ________ ZIP: ______________
Date of Birth: __________________ Country / County of Birth ____________________________
Citizenship: _________________ State and Driver’s License #: ____________________________
CERTIFICATION OF THE BUYER / TRANSFEREE
1. I am the actual buyer / transferee of the firearm(s) (_) Yes (_) No
2. I am under indictment or have been arrested for any felony(s) (_) Yes (_) No
3. I am a fugitive from justice (_) Yes (_) No
4. I am an unlawful user or addicted to drugs or any controlled substance (_) Yes (_) No
5. I have been declared mentally defective (_) Yes (_) No
6. I have been committed to any mental institution (_) Yes (_) No
7. I was dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces (_) Yes (_) No
8. I am subject to a court order restraining me from harassing, stalking or threatening my child or an intimate partner. (_) Yes (_) No
9. I have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (_) Yes (_) No
10. If ever a United States Citizen, I have not renounced my citizenship (_) Yes (_) No
11. I am an illegal alien in the United States (_) Yes (_) No
FIREARM INFORMATION
Manufacturer Model Serial # Caliber/Gauge
1. ____________________________________________________________________________________
2. ____________________________________________________________________________________
Seller hereby certifies that the information given by me is true and correct to the best of my knowledge and that I am the legal owner of the firearm(s).
Signature: ___________________________________________________ Date: ____________________
Buyer hereby certifies that he/she is legally able to purchase the firearm(s) under applicable state and federal law and that the information given by me is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.
Signature: ___________________________________________________ Date: ____________________

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, hipower said:

A question for you guys. How do you feel about giving address and DL# on Personal Bill of Sale like this?

I don't do bill of sales period. I'm not giving some random person my personal information. It's not required by law and there are plenty of people who will sell or buy without one.

• Like 15
Will this work for you?

PERSONAL BILL OF SALE OR TRANSFER OF A FIREARM
SELLER
BUYER
CERTIFICATION OF THE BUYER / TRANSFEREE
1. I am the actual buyer / transferee of the firearm(s) (_) Yes (_) No
2. I am under indictment or have been arrested for any felony(s) (_) Yes (_) No
3. I am a fugitive from justice (_) Yes (_) No
4. I am an unlawful user or addicted to drugs or any controlled substance (_) Yes (_) No
5. I have been declared mentally defective (_) Yes (_) No
6. I have been committed to any mental institution (_) Yes (_) No
7. I was dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces (_) Yes (_) No
8. I am subject to a court order restraining me from harassing, stalking or threatening my child or an intimate partner. (_) Yes (_) No
9. I have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (_) Yes (_) No
10. If ever a United States Citizen, I have not renounced my citizenship (_) Yes (_) No
11. I am an illegal alien in the United States (_) Yes (_) No
FIREARM INFORMATION
Manufacturer Model Serial # Caliber/Gauge
1. ____________________________________________________________________________________
2. ____________________________________________________________________________________
Seller hereby certifies that the information given by me is true and correct to the best of my knowledge and that I am the legal owner of the firearm(s).
Buyer hereby certifies that he/she is legally able to purchase the firearm(s) under applicable state and federal law and that the information given by me is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.

Yep. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
A question for you guys. How do you feel about giving address and DL# on Personal Bill of Sale like this?

I'm not real comfortable with it. I want to see their license and verify address and license number. I would make them at least do the DL# or address if the gun is in my name. If it's stolen after the sale, I want it showing it was out of my ownership if it was used in a crime. One or the other needs to be done if they're buying from me.

4 hours ago, nightrunner said:

I don't do bill of sales period. I'm not giving some random person my personal information. It's not required by law and there are plenty of people who will sell or buy without one.

Exactly this. My personal information isn't required by law and is none of your business. I'll show my HCP and/or driver's license but no more.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Major Kong said:

Exactly this. My personal information isn't required by law and is none of your business. I'll show my HCP and/or driver's license but no more.

I have shown it in the past, being younger and honestly society has changed since then. Now I'll show my HCP, but cover up my address with my thumb.

Of all the times I have bought FTF, only twice have I been asked for ID. 

• Like 2

If I see bill of sale I immediately lose interest. I'll gladly show you my valid HCP and I'll also ask for yours, but other then that, all I'll be willing to part with is my cash.

I understand CYA and what not, but I also don't think you need my address, phone, license number, blood type or anything else. That's why we meet in the Bass Pro Parking Lot. Heck, once Monkey and I even went in shopping with a member we met, I got 2 machetes. Totally normal.:angel:

Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500
  • Like 9

I BOS isn’t required by law; but you do have legal requirements. I can only sell to residents of this state and people that are of age; that is required by law and violating that can lead to my arrest. I can’t sell to a person that I know to be a felon; but the law gives me no way to check that other than asking them. If it should later become an issue of whether or not I knew; I have some support. If I don’t know the person I like to have a BOS showing I did what I could reasonably do to meet that requirement.

I don’t need to know their address and they don’t need to know mine. So I found a BOS on the net and modified it. It was a short statement saying you are of age, a Tennessee resident, and can legally own a firearm. All the form has is our names and phone numbers with the firearm serial numbers. That’s all that’s needed.

I am also concerned with stolen firearms; I hate a thief. If a seller balks at a BOS; I walk.

I mean let’s get real here….. If you buy or sale a weapon the other person will at the very least have an email address, should have a telephone number and probably a license plate number. Should an issue arise and the cops get involved; that info will identify you.

This is what I use….

FBOS_zpsbjnfahhi.jpg

• Like 4

Unless I know someone, and I mean actually know them, not internet know them, I'd want a bill of sale with enough information to point an investigator in the right direction.  Since I'm aware most people would be wary of a bill of sale that provides this information in a private transaction, I make sure I don't buy a gun unless I'm willing to hold onto it until it becomes someone else's property through the execution of my will.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I BOS isn’t required by law; but you do have legal requirements. I can only sell to residents of this state and people that are of age; that is required by law and violating that can lead to my arrest. I can’t sell to a person that I know to be a felon; but the law gives me no way to check that other than asking them. If it should later become an issue of whether or not I knew; I have some support. If I don’t know the person I like to have a BOS showing I did what I could reasonably do to meet that requirement.

I don’t need to know their address and they don’t need to know mine. So I found a BOS on the net and modified it. It was a short statement saying you are of age, a Tennessee resident, and can legally own a firearm. All the form has is our names and phone numbers with the firearm serial numbers. That’s all that’s needed.

I am also concerned with stolen firearms; I hate a thief. If a seller balks at a BOS; I walk.

I mean let’s get real here….. If you buy or sale a weapon the other person will at the very least have an email address, should have a telephone number and probably a license plate number. Should an issue arise and the cops get involved; that info will identify you.

This is what I use….

FBOS_zpsbjnfahhi.jpg

I'm Good with this. I'm not filling out a 4473 like someone posted earlier for a used firearm.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, chances R said:

Legal age is 18,,,,,if it matters.

I hold a C&R. While I know it’s not a dealer’s license, I go by Federal law to CMA and my license.

I also don’t want Mommy/Daddy calling me and giving me heck for selling Junior a gun.  biggrin.gif

Whatever you do, make the buyer aware of your intentions before you even meet.  Having a form sprung on you is extremely irritating.  It happened to me one time from a seller on this forum.  It was a simple "this guy bought this from me" thing not even as elegant as the one DaveTN posted.  It highly pissed me off but I went along with it as it was just a signature.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 6

Good comments from you all. Reasonable and valid, as far as I'm concerned, from both sides.

However, I'm personally of the opinion that a look to verify my, or yours, identity and residence, is sufficient for a sale if you ask the prerequisite questions:

Are you prohibited from owning/purchasing a firearm? Are you of age to purchase? Are you a legal resident of this state? 

Of course my feelings and read on the person I'm dealing with enter into things as well.

I do not routinely use a Bill of Sale form. I do if transferring a weapon I bought from an FFL, or if it is one I purchased from someone requiring a BOS from me, I will ask for one as well.

When I do require one from a buyer, I try to make it plain in the beginning so there is no surprise. I will admit to forgetting to do it a couple of times. Then I will apologize up front, explain the situation, and give the buyer a choice...do it or not. If there is any problem or reluctance to do it I will say "Thank you and I'm sorry for wasting your time."

I have not had anyone turn down a purchase, nor have I under this situation.

I do use a form similar to what xsubsailor and DaveTN use. Otherwise, I'm with Mr & Mrs Monkeyman, I do not like my Name/Address/ETC floating around.

Yes, these days anybody with a modicum of pc/internet savvy could probably find all that out, but I just don't freely give it away.

I had a person ask to take a picture of my DL once. That stopped me cold. No need for that to be had by anyone.

• Like 1
Good comments from you all. Reasonable and valid, as far as I'm concerned, from both sides.

However, I'm personally of the opinion that a look to verify my, or yours, identity and residence, is sufficient for a sale if you ask the prerequisite questions:

Are you prohibited from owning/purchasing a firearm? Are you of age to purchase? Are you a legal resident of this state? 

Of course my feelings and read on the person I'm dealing with enter into things as well.

I do not routinely use a Bill of Sale form. I do if transferring a weapon I bought from an FFL, or if it is one I purchased from someone requiring a BOS from me, I will ask for one as well.

When I do require one from a buyer, I try to make it plain in the beginning so there is no surprise. I will admit to forgetting to do it a couple of times. Then I will apologize up front, explain the situation, and give the buyer a choice...do it or not. If there is any problem or reluctance to do it I will say "Thank you and I'm sorry for wasting your time."

I have not had anyone turn down a purchase, nor have I under this situation.

I do use a form similar to what xsubsailor and DaveTN use. Otherwise, I'm with Mr & Mrs Monkeyman, I do not like my Name/Address/ETC floating around.

Yes, these days anybody with a modicum of pc/internet savvy could probably find all that out, but I just don't freely give it away.

I had a person ask to take a picture of my DL once. That stopped me cold. No need for that to be had by anyone.

Wow! That's gutsy asking for a pic of your license. I hate letting the doctor photocopy my insurance card!

Most people are upstanding citizens, but I want a receipt showing the agreed upon amount (or trade) in black and white as well as a disclaimer saying there's no warranty and both parties agree the firearm is as-is.  So I do require bills of sale, signed by a witness, and we both get a copy.

I respect that some people don't want to do that, which is why I mention it in the for-sale ad -- so there is no surprises and if it's not something they're willing to do, they can simply pass and neither one of us wastes our time.

I like this one, nice and simple

Bill of Sale.png

• Like 1

This is how I buy of sell guns. Ask for or show my HCP or TN DL. Exchange cash for gun and walk away.

If they do not have a HCP I ask if they are a prohibited person. If it is a complete stranger and not from TGO I do a few more things. I write their number on my hand, I also write their plate number on my hand and I generally audio record the transaction. 

No way I would ever give someone all that information. You are right, there are bad people out there but with their copy of the BoS they can do even more damage. I cannot think of a valid reason for that information. LE will already have all of that by the time they come knocking on your door. 

I would think becoming a victim of identity theft is a more realistic threat than getting in trouble because some jackwagon decides to break the law using a gun you sold to them. 

• Like 8
On 9/11/2016 at 5:35 PM, nightrunner said:

You would not be buying a firearm that I purchased... that is for sure!

Another option is to do an audio recording of the sale by just putting your phone on video and saving the whole thing in an email in case your phone breaks or is lost. 

I have went on a knock and talk with the ATF, and they were overly satisfied with just getting copies of the emails between a buyer and seller.

• Like 1