Hello all, moving to Tennessee

With all of the heavy communist legislation being forced on us lately and it never ceasing to grow here in California, the wife and I have decided to move to greener and freer pastures.

My wife is originally from California, but her parents moved to Tennessee about 15 years ago. She spent most of her middle and high school years there.  

Her parents are in Franklin, so we want to be close by in Williamson County. She likes Thompson's Station/Spring Hill area so that's where we will most likely be looking.

It's a big decision for us. We have a 3 month old son and all of our family is here in California. But the writing is on the wall out here and it's time to go. I look forward to living in a state that holds my beliefs dear and somewhere we can raise our son with freedom, peace and at a normal pace of life. 

My mom's side is from Arkansas, so it won't be a culture shock for me. I am looking forward to hand shakes and hospitality and being able to live the way I was raised.

Our plans are to be there next summer. Pay off some debt and get our loose ends straight and we will be good to go. 

I look forward to getting to know all of your here and to take any advice you may have. 

Thanks 

• Like 4
  • Administrator

Middle TN is a great place to live and business is booming here.  It sounds as though you clearly aren't one of these people, but my concern is that Tennessee may eventually succumb to the same fate as Colorado has as more and more transplants from leftist-voting states like California move in and change the voter demographic.

• Like 3

Welcome to TGO and soon to TN.

By "SquidBilly" I assume you're current or former Navy. At least "Squid" was always the term of endearment I received from my Marine brethren I had the honor of serving with.

As David cautioned, please embrace and assimilate, respect and hold close our God Given Constitutionally Protected Rights and you'll do well.

I have a good friend that just relocated to San Diego and he's, shall we say, struggling...May God Bless and help him...

I hope you relocation is uneventful and you guys prosper.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, prag said:

Welcome to TGO and soon to TN.

By "SquidBilly" I assume you're current or former Navy. At least "Squid" was always the term of endearment I received from my Marine brethren I had the honor of serving with.

As David cautioned, please embrace and assimilate, respect and hold close our God Given Constitutionally Protected Rights and you'll do well.

I have a good friend that just relocated to San Diego and he's, shall we say, struggling...May God Bless and help him...

I hope you relocation is uneventful and you guys prosper.

Thanks you guys for the warm welcome. 

Yes Prag, former Navy here! About 10 years and a 100 lbs later you would never know it, but yes I was. The Squid part of my name also because I am into motorcycles. At least around here it's a not so nice term for young punks on sport bikes.

I can understand all of your concerns about the demographic and culture changing where you live. I don't plan on bringing anything from Kalifornia except for some dust on the bottom of my shoes. I've seen it myself here also. It's always been a liberal hot bed. But it's changed so much since I was a kid it's incredible. Especially as more illegal aliens have come in and our overlords have pandered to them. Honest, God fearing Constitutional Americans aren't represented here anymore. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Mark A said:

Dibs on taking you for your first Nashville hot chicken meal. You are going to be really close to us. Pass the hot chicken test and you cut 30 days from the mandatory acclimation period.

Mark 

Hot chicken? Sounds great. I'll have to ask my wife if she knows anything about it.

16 hours ago, Mark A said:

Dibs on taking you for your first Nashville hot chicken meal. You are going to be really close to us. Pass the hot chicken test and you cut 30 days from the mandatory acclimation period.

Mark 

Hot chicken? Sounds great. I'll have to ask my wife if she knows anything about it.

1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Man that looks good. You guys got the lure on the line and are reeling it in.

Well, the more we plan and look into things a little more concrete they become. Probably end up a bit further south. Looking at Columbia. We would be closer to one of our churches, no smog laws in Maury Co (dislike that here) and it's cheaper. We would also be closer to her brother in Alabama. 

Things are looking good. Baby's first birthday is in June, wife wants to be here for that. But that's basically our deadline for leaving. My wife is a teacher and I work school bus, so we'll have all summer to settle in. We should be celebrating the 4th next year out there. I'm hoping the time goes fast. 

Edited by SquidBilly
  • Like 1

2 years ago we bought property in Santa Fe. Prices are starting to climb in that section, especially the closer you get to the Williamson County line. We hope to start building out there late next spring. Lots of places to look down near Columbia and so far not too many busy bodies...

It depends on income qualification but there are some pretty good rural mortgage options down in that area. There's enough town there to get by on a day to day basis and is still close enough to Franklin/ Cool Springs for some better shopping and dining choices.

Mark

Welcome!

Did you find us via this thread I posted in? :love:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1242702

So long as liberty lovers and constitutionalists move here from left-wing states, I'll be happy.

Folks just need to keep a really close eye on their kids public education so they're not indoctrinated in to a left-wing army like CA, NY, etc., has done to the kids out there. 

On 9/12/2016 at 5:50 AM, TGO David said:

Middle TN is a great place to live and business is booming here.  It sounds as though you clearly aren't one of these people, but my concern is that Tennessee may eventually succumb to the same fate as Colorado has as more and more transplants from leftist-voting states like California move in and change the voter demographic.

No worries. We like newcomers, especially ones from California :)

20 hours ago, JohnC said:

Welcome!

So long as liberty lovers and constitutionalists move here from left-wing states, I'll be happy.

Folks just need to keep a really close eye on their kids public education so they're not indoctrinated in to a left-wing army like CA, NY, etc., has done to the kids out there. 

No, I did a search for TN gun forums and the first that came up was TGO.

But I saw you over there in that thread John. I actually started that topic. Haha. I use the same username over there too.

Alot of Californians seem to be going northwest. But it's going to be the same fate one day in those blue states as well.

I need to be down south where the culture is more rooted and relatable (at least  to me) and where people aren't ready to give up their ideals. What works needs to stay that way!

• Like 2
Welcome!

I sure found this place from that thread. I'm member cwilliams over there. I'll start my own moving to TN thread soon so as to not hijack this one.

Hello anyways!
  • Like 1