Buying a gun in Tennessee?

SquidBilly

I posted over in the new members introduction forum. But I am asking this because i'm leaving Kalifornia for Tennessee.

I've been over regulated and immersed in communist bs for so long I don't know how normal Americans in free states buy guns.

Basically here I have to have a permit, FSC card they call it. Only handguns appoved by CA DOJ (not even Colt Government 1911's are on the list). Only 1 hangun purchase in 30 days, 10 day wait to pickup. Long guns as many as I want in 30 days, 10 day wait. Of course, no standard capacity magazines, bullet buttons (but not for much longer, mags will have to fixed only) etc...

Tell me of the free process that I'll be gladly joining soon? Do you guys cash and carry most guns or is there any kind of wait on background checks?  

• Like 1

You can take the gun with you as soon as you pass the background check. It takes me longer to fill out the form than it take the background check to come back.  I can't imagine living with all the rules California has. I think that a valid carry permit should serve as a background check . 

• Like 1

You should be issued your shotgun & marlin 336 upon arrival in the state. 

:D

I moved here from England 7½ years ago (you think you've had it bad.....) & bought my first firearm through an FFL 92 days later. The whole process took me about 15 minutes. It still amazes me to this day how uncomplicated Tennessee makes it to buy through a store & private sales are exactly the same as buying anything else!

• Like 2

Sounds good! I have to say that I am excited about getting some of the pistols I haven't been able to and actually being able to freely own standard capacity magazines.

Private sales are absolutely unregulated? How awesome is that. Only private dealings that can be done without a paper trail out here is between Father or Mother and children. 

I've had some freedom because I have a C&R license. But even that is regulated under CA laws, nothing over 10 rounds, "assault" weapons...

5 hours ago, SquidBilly said:

Private sales are absolutely unregulated? How awesome is that. Only private dealings that can be done without a paper trail out here is between Father or Mother and children. 

Your use of the term "absolutely unregulated" is not really correct.    They have to be resident of TN and be eligible to own a firearm.    Most folks prefer that the person has a current carry permit which gives more certainty that the person is not a felon and up to no good.          

5 hours ago, Trekbike said:

Your use of the term "absolutely unregulated" is not really correct.    They have to be resident of TN and be eligible to own a firearm.    Most folks prefer that the person has a current carry permit which gives more certainty that the person is not a felon and up to no good.          

Ok, good to know. I notice how much you all respect and esteem having a carry permit. It's such a pain in the butt out here to get one that few do.

Just being able to keep a loaded pistol in the car or truck out there would be a big deal to me.

Make sure to stop in Texas and wash all of that communist filth off your stuff before entering the state.

Then you will be welcomed here more than you expected.  In this magical land, you can almost own anything you want.  No more bullet buttons to thwart training, no more discrimination on your guns based on their race or color.  You can burn #### in your yard if you want, and rest easy because the majority of your neighbors will be heavily armed as well (even if they tell you they're not).

Welcome!

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Welcome to Tennessee.........but if we EVER hear you utter the phrase "that's not how we did it in California", someone named Bubba will be along shortly to kick you azz back to whence it came.:D

+1,000

Act as though you were the only person to escape California before it fell into the ocean. Realize we have been doing this gun freedom thing for a VERY long time and we don't need anyone to tell us what is safe, legal or what should be outlawed. 

Sit back, spend a few weeks reading and learning how Tennessee operates. 

You ou are more than welcome but whatever you do don't try to change anything about this great state. 

Don't worry fellas. I'm a fish out of water here. My mother's side is from Arkansas and I was raised in that way. Just ended up in the wrong place. I don't want to change anything about your great state. I need fried okra, tea that I don't need to ask to be sweet, cicadas in the trees, a church on Sunday and a full gun safe.

I'll be sure to wipe my feet somewhere before the Mississippi.

No one has offered up the fact that you need a HCP (handgun carry permit) to carry in the state except for car carry. You can have a loaded firearm in your vehicle without a permit. To carry it on your person and in public (off your private property) you need a permit. It is the default in TN law to be illegal to posses a firearm in public without a permit. We are not so free as you may think. The state still wants to tax you for your right to self defense.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, ken56 said:

No one has offered up the fact that you need a HCP (handgun carry permit) to carry in the state except for car carry. You can have a loaded firearm in your vehicle without a permit. ....

Except in posted lots or school property. That still requires a permit. Also, an employer may ban firearms in its parking lot, and without a permit you have no standing to contest the repercussions of that in court.

- OS

3 hours ago, SquidBilly said:

Don't worry fellas. I'm a fish out of water here. My mother's side is from Arkansas and I was raised in that way. Just ended up in the wrong place. I don't want to change anything about your great state. I need fried okra, tea that I don't need to ask to be sweet, cicadas in the trees, a church on Sunday and a full gun safe.

I'll be sure to wipe my feet somewhere before the Mississippi.

"Don't need to ask tea to be sweet".... so true.

Why can't states north of KY and west of TX understand that tea should be sweet? It seems to confuse them when you even ask for it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2016 at 3:00 AM, SquidBilly said:

I posted over in the new members introduction forum. But I am asking this because i'm leaving Kalifornia for Tennessee.

I've been over regulated and immersed in communist bs for so long I don't know how normal Americans in free states buy guns.

Basically here I have to have a permit, FSC card they call it. Only handguns appoved by CA DOJ (not even Colt Government 1911's are on the list). Only 1 hangun purchase in 30 days, 10 day wait to pickup. Long guns as many as I want in 30 days, 10 day wait. Of course, no standard capacity magazines, bullet buttons (but not for much longer, mags will have to fixed only) etc...

Tell me of the free process that I'll be gladly joining soon? Do you guys cash and carry most guns or is there any kind of wait on background checks?  

I came from Maryland another crappy state.  The process in TN is great.  In the Year I have been down here I have bought something face to face from someone when you do that it is up to the seller what the process is.  Some just want to see a TN DL to make sure you are a TN Resident.  Some will only sell to people with a TN Hand Gun Carry Permit.  Some Also want a bill of sale.  In my case we each looked at each other HCP and I gave him the cash he gave me the weapons.  I have also walked into a store and bought a gun.  Walked in spent 20 min decided which gun I wanted then spent 10 min filling out the paperwork and walked out 10 min later and that included running my CC with my new handgun.  Freedom is sweat.