Podcasts

nightrunner

I like Podcasts that you learn something from listening to. My favorite is "Stuff You Should Know". You are not going to learn any life changing skills, but the topics are always interesting, and the hosts have a comical banter.

If I'm in the mood for a quick listen, I'll check out BrainStuff. They are usually less than 5 minutes long each, and they give you an overview of how something works.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, nightrunner said:

The upcoming TGO Podcasts have me curious, what podcasts are you listening to?

I have just started listening to prepper podcast. 

LOL. I almost started a thread asking the same questions yesterday. LOL "Great minds think alike" or something like that. :)

If you can tolerate the self promoting nature of Jack Spirko, his "The Survival Podcast", at least from episode 1000 and back to the beginning, has some excellent information on Prepping and Self Reliance. I haven't listened in the past few years fwiw, but there truly is some useful info there if you dig around.

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/

A gun oriented "Podcast Radio" I download is from "Ballistic Radio" by John Johnson. This is recorded from an actual live radio broadcast on Sunday evenings out of Ohio. The first couple of years of the podcast were, much more serious and mature, and the host has some outstanding interviews with several of the top tier trainers in the training industry...people like Craig Douglas (aka SouthNarc), Dr. William Aprill, Dr. Sherman House, Steve Fisher of Sentinel Concepts, Greg Ellifritz of Active Response Training, Tom Givens of Rangemaster, Claude Werner "The Tactical Professor", and John Hearne among many others.

The only issue I have is that the "Radio program" has some pretty darn infantile banter ala AM radio BS style as John is apparently growing his own Training Business. Beware the ego...it can consume a person...

But it is well worth putting up with a bit of annoyance to glean some genuine pearls from these top tier professional guests...well worth the annoyance imho.

http://ballisticradio.com/podcasts/

iHeart link to the radio channel: http://www.iheart.com/live/55krc-1709/?autoplay=true&pname=1196&campid=play_bar&cid=index.html

The Arms Room: Independence Training Group out of Arizona

This podcast is hosted by very pro-military veterans and I find the information and interviews very entertaining and useful. These guys are dyed in wool true blue training junkies! They have many of the same guests imparting similar, yet somewhat different information, as found on Ballistic Radio...top tier professionals in the training industry. These are weekly podcasts and are available for download every Monday afternoon.  

The hosts, especially Glen Stilson, is very knowledgeable, and enthusiastic. btw..he does head up his own training company "Independence Training" in Peoria, AZ.

http://thearmsroomvom.podbean.com/

Also there is Mike Seeklander's "American Warrior" podcast. Mr. Seeklander was once a local LEO (Knoxville), ran the Federal Air Marshall training program and is a Top National Competitor in USPSA and IDPA. He is a multi-disciplinary combatives student himself, not focusing solely on the  gun portion of gunfight, but realistically on the fight portion of the term. This is probably my attraction to his podcast.

He too hosts some excellent guest interviews...Max Michel Jr., Ernest Langdon, Craig Douglas (SouthNarc), Dr. William Aprill, Julie Golob, Steve Tarani, Ken Hackathorn, Mike Janich, and Tom Givens among others...I think there may be a trend with these podcasts :)

http://americanwarriorshow.libsyn.com/

The above are my regular downloads. I've sampled many others, but these best serve my particular interests.

I look forward to see/hear what other members are listening to.

Edited by prag
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

Good thread!  I have been listening to these lately:

This Week in Guns
http://firearmsradio.tv/this-week-in-guns/

The banter between these guys is pretty entertaining and the format is honestly similar to what I had in mind for ours.  The host, Jake, dutifully plays the role of the Straight Man while his guest hosts are pretty darn funny and seem to know the nuances of the firearms manufacturing and sales industries pretty well.

Ballistic Radio
http://ballisticradio.com/

Like @prag said above, the host John Johnston can be a bit annoying.  I only listen to this if he's going to have a guest on that interests me.  John tends to talk way more than he allows his guests to talk, which sucks because they are the only reason I listen.  He had Steve Fisher on recently and talked over him so much that it almost sounded like Steve was interviewing him.  Really annoying.

American Warrior
http://americanwarriorshow.libsyn.com/

Another one that @prag mentioned has been on my list for a while too.  Mike Seeklander's podcast is a good one to listen to if you want to hear solid guests with solid information.  The "Host to Guest" ratio of talking is balanced well or skewed in favor of the guest, which is what I think it should be when you have guests present.

Drinkin' Bros Podcast
http://www.drinkinbrospodcast.com/

Hide yo wife!  Hide yo kids!  This is not family friendly or work safe, and sometimes the stuff they say makes me wince but I almost always end up laughing about it immediately afterward.  These are the guys behind the Range 15 movie and Article 15 clothing.  Mat Best, Rocco Vargas, Ross Patterson, Jarred Taylor and an assorted crew of extras make this one a really twisted, incredibly wrong and inappropriate, but gut busting funny podcast.  But seriously... you can't ever let your kids listen to this and your wife may slap you.

I am going to have to check out "The Arms Room" now.  Thanks for the recommendation!

• Like 1

Love the Sam Harris podcast, Waking Up. There is no more interesting podcast out right now.

Also will listen to Joe Rogan if the guest is interesting, which they often are. If you haven't I would strongly recommend listening to his shows with Randall Carlson, and the other with Graham Hancock. Some of the most fascinating episodes I've ever heard.

If you are even remotely interested in history Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is a must. In particular his series on WWI is a masterpiece.

The Jocko Podcast is awesome as well, worth a listen.

Occasionally I'll rotate in Stuff you Missed in History Class, Stuff to Blow Your Mind, Stuff You Should Know, The Tim Ferris Show, and WeThePeople Live.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, ShamGlock said:

The Jocko Podcast is awesome as well, worth a listen.

Solid suggestion - thank you!  I've really enjoyed Jocko Willink's book Extreme Ownership and the few video interviews I've seen with him on YouTube, etc.  Very intelligent, very driven.

1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Solid suggestion - thank you!  I've really enjoyed Jocko Willink's book Extreme Ownership and the few video interviews I've seen with him on YouTube, etc.  Very intelligent, very driven.

Yeah, he's excellent. For the double win Sam Harris had him on for a discussion on violence. It was another great episode.

Good thread!  I have been listening to these lately:

This Week in Guns
http://firearmsradio.tv/this-week-in-guns/

The banter between these guys is pretty entertaining and the format is honestly similar to what I had in mind for ours.  The host, Jake, dutifully plays the role of the Straight Man while his guest hosts are pretty darn funny and seem to know the nuances of the firearms manufacturing and sales industries pretty well.

I just listened to their latest podcast via YouTube. I liked it. Thanks. Now I have something to listen to as I drive to PA this week.
  • 2 weeks later...

I listen to a lot of various ones. Most aren't firearm related. My 8-10 hr shifts are filled with them. 

Several are already listed tho including This Week In Guns, Survival, and Arms Room. 

I'm also interested in true crime podcasts and what not so I listen to a few of them. Some of the better ones is Unresolved (very slow to release), Truth & Justice, Last Podcast on the Left (comedians talk many diff subjects including serial killers), and others. 

For radio dramas, I suggest We're Alive, The Black, This is Nightvale,  and 19 Nocturne Boulevard. 

I have 38 different podcasts loaded. I alternate every other week or more with each. I typically let them build up a bit then listen, but I have enough to listen 8-10hrs daily and not run out. 

• 10 months later...

I'm bumping this one back because it has several great suggestions for various podcasts and to recommend another: Civilian Carry Radio

Civilian Carry Radio is hosted by a group of three people, Baraka James, Allen Sams and Karie Thomas. They offer a solid format, simulcast on YouTube, and have had a phenomenal list of "guests" to interview thus far.

Their focus is, as you may have guessed, Civilian Carry and the topics discussed are actually related to us mere earth walker everyday carry type folks! 

Here's a link and I hope you folks will give them a listen.  https://firearmsradio.tv/civilian-carry-radio/