Musicians and their axes!

Steelharp

I would call myself much more of an entertainer than musician but I am a guitar guy as well. I ll post some of mne sometime. I am really an esp guy with marshall amps, but the budget is ltd guitars.

I have an ltd m1 made in japan. One of the first ltd guitars made

Ltd George lynch sunburst tiger. Not the new one from this year, but the one made from alder or ash from 2004

epiphone les paul standard

peavey tracer

amp wise I use a marshall valvestate mini stack from the 1990s

effects I just use a line6 pod hd500 but have an original Ibanez ts9 tube screamer and keeley modified boss ds1

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Just picked this up today. Always wanted a PRS and I got a great deal on this one. It's not American made, but it wasn't $4k either![emoji6]

bed2efab6464f8b95e126cd7b2352a7d.jpg

Wish I had the Epiphone Sheraton II and the '86 Les Paul I had when I thought I was a musician. Sold them 18 years ago to fund my wife's wedding ring. Don't regret it one bit, but I sure liked those guitars.
Now I play in church on Sunday's and that's about it.

• Like 2

Sorry no pics but, 1982 Gibson Challenger II natural maple finish. Beautiful playing instrument. 1983 Epiphone Strat style with tremolo, black body with maple neck. Original owner of both and love playing them. Peavy Studio pro 50 amp. My garage sale find last summer that I could not believe, a 1977 Starfield Les Paul type and original Tronix amp. Needed some work but had it fixed. Its black body with the gold pickups and mother of pearl inlay on the neck. Its Japanese made by Hoshino corp. It got them sued by Gibson because it was so close to the real thing. It plays and sounds great. The only difference I can see is the body is laminated wood, about 4-5 3/4 inch thick slabs of wood. I love it and am glad I could save it and give it a new life.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ken56 said:

Sorry no pics but, 1982 Gibson Challenger II natural maple finish. Beautiful playing instrument. 1983 Epiphone Strat style with tremolo, black body with maple neck. Original owner of both and love playing them. Peavy Studio pro 50 amp. My garage sale find last summer that I could not believe, a 1977 Starfield Les Paul type and original Tronix amp. Needed some work but had it fixed. Its black body with the gold pickups and mother of pearl inlay on the neck. Its Japanese made by Hoshino corp. It got them sued by Gibson because it was so close to the real thing. It plays and sounds great. The only difference I can see is the body is laminated wood, about 4-5 3/4 inch thick slabs of wood. I love it and am glad I could save it and give it a new life.

Nice!  

I haven't played a Starfield but I really do like my MIJ Tokai. Super, SUPER guitars. The Japanese really know their way around a guitar for sure. I sold my les paul custom after buying the tokai. It's a better built guitar, plain and simple.

I wouldn't worry about a laminated body too much if it sounds good. Lots of great tunes got recorded with Gibsons from the same time period where they were building laminated Les Pauls as well. 

An exec from Ibanez actually started the brand I understand. Some were made in the USA but soon moved to Japan. It really does sound as good if not better than my Gibson and the playability is so smooth. I had never ever heard of the Starfield until I came across this one.  I was going to visit a friend who lived in a double wide home park and drove by it just sitting in the sun in its case. Yep, got the original Gibson case for it too. I walked back to tell the people that sitting in the direct sun like that was not good and started looking it over and fell in love. lol. 125 got it.

Edited by ken56
On 11/19/2016 at 0:25 PM, TrickyNicky said:

This thread needs more pics...

Ask and ye shall receive. Since I was AWOL when this thread was started, I'm gonna blow the dust off....

Unfortunately, I can't post a "family shot" of my instruments, because they don't make a wide-angle lens wide enough to get them all in one shot.

Let's see-- I've got stuff all over the map... first, some vintage mid-60's Japanese oddballs-- by the way... these are all set-up in gig-able condition.... I don't keep "wall art" guitars.:up:

1967 Teisco ET220

full.jpg

1965 Silvertone WG2L

full.jpg

1966 Kingston Chess

full.jpg

1966 Norma

full.jpg

full.jpg

1968 Norma

full

1967 Norma Violin model

full.jpg

More posted in next post

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 3

This part of my collection is mainly miscellaneous workhorses, beginning with the first electric I ever owned,

1979 Electra X-340 MPC. (case pictured is not the case for this guitar)

full.jpg

full.jpg

2004 Squier Telecaster-- I've hot-rodded this one quite a bit...

full.jpg

full.jpg

Yamaha SGV-800

full.jpg

The oldest guitar I own-- a 1942 Harmony Cremona IV-- this one's been to Europe and back during WWII... belonged to a US Army musician--it's got quite a story.

full.jpg

full.jpg

1994 Epiphone PR-5E-- I logged over 300 gigs on this one before I "retired" it to the music room.

full.jpg

Dean Psychobilly Cabbie model-- only produced for a couple of years; 2005-2006

full.jpg

DiPinto Belvedere

full.jpg

Yamaha SA503TVL Troy Van Leeuwen model-- out of production.

full.jpg

full.jpg

Fender Vince Ray Spookshow A/E acoustic-- another limited production model-- 500 produced.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Robelli RB-1955

full.jpg

1970 Epiphone 5102-T. Again, the case pictured is not the case for this guitar.

full.jpg

Stagg G-Force Competition V-- not incredibly expensive, but lots of fun-- body graphics and tailpipes are stock!  :rock:

full.jpg

Three different flavors of the original Squier 51 model... love these little guitars!

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Next post will be my favorites-- My Gretsch collection....

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 6

Ok, Now we come to my pride & joy-- My Gretsch instruments.

First Gretsch I ever owned--

2002 G2619 Electromatic SparkleJet-- Sparkle finishes are incredibly difficult to capture in pics...

full.jpg

full.jpg

Gretsch G2810 Bo Diddley Signature model-- The pickguard is custom-made, of my own design.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Gretsch G5135 Corvette

full.jpg

full.jpg

Gretsch G3156 Historic Series Streamliner

full.jpg

Gretsch G5022C Jumbo Rancher--- this one goes with me to just about every gig.

full.jpg

Gretsch Americana collection-- Gretsch released this series as a limited run in 2006, an homage to the various "cowboy" style guitars popular in the 40's and 50's. Four different designs, all parlor-sized (or cowboy-sized, if you prefer)

full.jpg

Gretsch G2224 Electromatic Short Scale Bass

full.jpg

Gretsch G6073 Bass

full.jpg

Gretsch G9350 Park Avenue mandolin-- I've got a couple other mandolins, but this is my favorite for gigging by far. And no, that's not a "stock" photo.

full.jpg

Gretsch G6130KPW Knotty Pine Roundup-- This is 1 of 9 factory prototypes, not a production model-- Gretsch did a production run of 75, but this one pre-dates the production run by about 6 months.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Gretsch G6118T-125 125th Anniversary model

full.jpg

And, my holy grail, my favorite guitar in my collection---

Gretsch G6196T Country Club model

full.jpg

full.jpg

• Like 7

I do have quite a few other instruments-- other electric guitars, other mandolins, other basses, banjos, lap steel, balalaikas, dulcimers, drums, keyboards, etc.... but I figure I've posted enough... well, here are some miscellaneous gig pics, etc.

I'll stop after this... I promise.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

And now, the obligatory "Halloween Gig" pics over the last few years....

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

OK, I guess I've taken up enough space here....

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 6

Tartan, you win. Awesome collection. I attribute my interest in guitars to Chet Atkins and seeing him playing his County Gentleman. My mother loved Chet and I remember watching him on TV and thought to myself I want to do  THAT. He made it look so easy, like all you had to do was pick it up and music came out. He is still my favorite.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, ken56 said:

Tartan, you win. Awesome collection. I attribute my interest in guitars to Chet Atkins and seeing him playing his County Gentleman. My mother loved Chet and I remember watching him on TV and thought to myself I want to do  THAT. He made it look so easy, like all you had to do was pick it up and music came out. He is still my favorite.

I'd give up a leg to be able to play like Chet. I have friends that are fantastic Chet- style players, but I just wish I had a quarter of that talent level!