Alabama, Georgia declare state of emergency after pipeline spill

Grand Torino

• Authorized Vendor

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/09/bentley_declares_state_of_emer.html

"Based on current projections and consultations with industry partners, parts of Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina will be the first markets to be impacted by any potential disruption in supply."

"Colonial has briefed officials in these states and will continue to provide timely information to the public so that they can plan accordingly."

The pipeline has been shut down since Friday and normally transports 1.3 million barrels per day of refined gasoline and other petroleum products from refineries in Houston to the south and eastern seaboard. The pipeline terminates at New York Harbor. 

Colonial Pipeline spokesman Bill Berry said the pipeline delivered the products to tank farms like the one in Pelham, which sometimes have shorter "stublines" to pump gas to third party distributors. 

Berry said he could not disclose how much refined gasoline from the pipeline normally went to Alabama service stations because it was proprietary information.

Read more.

Bentley concluded his executive order by reminding all Alabama residents "it is unlawful for any person within the State of Alabama to impose unconscionable prices for the sale of any commodity during the period of a declared State of Emergency."

I take it it's ok for neighboring states to do so though.  Gas at the station I usually go to went from $1.87gl to $2.39gl overnight.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

The panic is on. Drive by a gas station if you don't believe me.

Yep.  Local Kroger is out of Regular and Mid-Grade.  Premium gasoline was still available an hour ago.  Diesel not impacted (thankfully) so far.

• Like 2

There will be chaos and assaults at Tennessee gas pumps this weekend.

According to the article posted above, it appears this refinery has been down a week already, and everything seemed normal until yesterday, when the media began broadcasting "potential gas shortages".

I did notice a pretty sharp spike in prices at some stores a few days ago, but no unusual activity until today.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Administrator
16 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

According to the article posted above, it appears this refinery has been down a week already, and everything seemed normal until yesterday, when the media began broadcasting "potential gas shortages".

Because the Media stopped doing journalism years ago and now just generates contents to suit agendas and attract eyeballs to pages.

I hate them.

• Like 11
7 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Just another filter or two....and more oil.....and that DEF crap on the newer ones.

With all the emissions crap on them now, I would only get a newer one if I was where they don't have emissions testing. You can delete that junk off and greatly improve the efficiency (mpg) and power.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
25 minutes ago, MudBugjr said:

Just have to live in a town that doesn't do emissions and cut all  that stuff off. Love my diesel truck.

Well, it's by the county for testing and the problems with deleting are, in no real particular order...

• Warranty
  • EPA can (and apparently will) fine you if they catch you
  • Dealerships won't take one on trade if it's been deleted (see previous)
  • Like 3
25 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Well, it's by the county for testing and the problems with deleting are, in no real particular order...

• Warranty
  • EPA can (and apparently will) fine you if they catch you
  • Dealerships won't take one on trade if it's been deleted (see previous)

Down here no problem with a dealership taking them traded one off couple years ago and they will still do warranty work. Boy if the EPA really went out they would be fining thousands of people in this state. Even in your neck of the woods I know plenty of people without some bolt back on to pass test and yank them off again. It is dangerous running with a DPF etc when it does a burn off and you lose up tp 75% power when pulling a load you have to pull off the road sometime to let it Re-gen

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Drove by several stations in Knoxville on the way home, all $2.29.  It was $1.99 yesterday when I filled up.

Had to go out after reading thread .. was still 1.95.9 at Pilot on Sutherland. Went ahead and filled up, so I could add to the problem and all.

I imagine Pilot may be a bit gun shy about bumping stuff up at the drop of a hat anymore after all its troubles over the last couple years.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

People are lined up around the store in Hendersonville at the Thorntons. The lady at the Mapco told me that they had to do a mandatory price increase today I asked her if they got a new load of gas and she said no so why the price increase? And people think I'm crazy trying to fill my safe up.