Alabama, Georgia declare state of emergency after pipeline spill

Grand Torino

6 minutes ago, ggwilde said:

As I watch people kinda freak out over a potential gas interruption I just SMH at what would happen in a real emergency.

I think the ability to get back and forth to work would be a real emergency to many. Don’t you? confused.gif

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, LI0NSFAN said:

Everything here in West Knox seems to be fine. I drove past 4 stations and all were 1.99. According to gas buddy only the Delta Express stations are over 2.09, they are all 2.29. I hope that it stays this way.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I bet their pumps are empty.  Just drove by three Weigel's in West Knox and they are all out of 87 and 91.

I don't know if folks in E TN are listening to the news, but the Knoxville and east folks don't really need to worry so much. There is an entirely different pipeline that supplies that area with all their fuel needs including gasolene. It is middle Tennesse west that has the real issue. I am not worried because I have been on keep fill since back when gad was almost 4 bucks a gallon and have not changed. It's alot easier on the pocket book if you fill up on 1/2 tank than empty tank. On the 12th of each month I take my jeep and how ever many gas cans I may need and make my trip to kroger and use my fuel  points to get 35 gallons of fuel. Since my son in law is buying all the boat gas now I use less. I can fill my jeep and got a month most times without ever needed to use any of the cans but I do every three months just to rotate it out with fresh fuel. during the winter months when I go less I put stabil in the cans before filing them up. When a person lives on a fixed income this works quite well unless a person keeps the highways hot.........................jmho 

I have friends that live in North Carolina that are in Sikeston for a class reunion. They are planning to return to NC tomorrow. Does the stations in Clarksville, Cookville, or Crossville have gas. They only have a 350 mile range with full tank and home is 650. Nashville is 200 miles from Sikeston approximately. 

7 minutes ago, BigK said:

All the stations I drove past in La Vergne are out, but a few smaller places in Smyrna still have gas. The azzhat at the Marathon across from Kmart jacked his price up to $2.999.

I thought once a state of emergency was declared gas prices were locked??

Our Governor did that about 6PM yesterday.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Nope.  Prices are not locked, people are just prohibited from charging prices that are "grossly in excess" of the pre-emergency price.  They can even get out of that if they can prove excessive price increase is related to actual cost increases.

6 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I'd prefer gas prices rise to the level that would ensure availability rather than remain the same and not be available anywhere. Your mileage may vary.

Not to put words in your mouth, but if I understand our point...panic buying would stop at some price. That would leave plenty of gas for those that truly need it in the short term. By the time that price became overly burdensome, the crisis would be over.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, BigK said:

Not to put words in your mouth, but if I understand our point...panic buying would stop at some price. That would leave plenty of gas for those that truly need it in the short term. By the time that price became overly burdensome, the crisis would be over.

Yeah. You said it better than I did. I'd prefer it to be available at $5 per gallon than unavailable at $1.

Yesterday, I saw a guy pulling a trailer with a lawnmower, pressure sprayer, and every gas can he could find at the pump filling it all with gas. He was convinced there'd be no more gas for the foreseeable future.

This is the problem. Not a broken pipeline.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, deadeye111 said:

I have friends that live in North Carolina that are in Sikeston for a class reunion. They are planning to return to NC tomorrow. Does the stations in Clarksville, Cookville, or Crossville have gas. They only have a 350 mile range with full tank and home is 650. Nashville is 200 miles from Sikeston approximately. 

So far I haven't seen any lines, but I have seen pumps with bags over the handles here in Clarksville. But since all pumps, with same grade, share the same tank I think it's just a ploy to make it seem they are running out.  My wife and I both filled up at separate times and separate places just fine yesterday, me at night.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Our Governor did that about 6PM yesterday.

1 hour ago, Reservoir Dog said:

Nope.  Prices are not locked, people are just prohibited from charging prices that are "grossly in excess" of the pre-emergency price.  They can even get out of that if they can prove excessive price increase is related to actual cost increases.

Actually, in the executive order signed by Gov. Haslam, all he did was raise the amount of hours allowed on the road for truckers so that fuel trucks can increase their delivery timetables.  There was no mention of pricing.  There was talk about not allowing "unconscionable prices" from one of the other states though, so that's maybe what you're thinking of.

http://lmgcorporate.com/wsmv/documents/ExecutiveOrder56.pdf

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Actually, in the executive order signed by Gov. Haslam, all he did was raise the amount of hours allowed on the road for truckers so that fuel trucks can increase their delivery timetables.  There was no mention of pricing.  There was talk about not allowing "unconscionable prices" from one of the other states though, so that's maybe what you're thinking of.

That was my understanding as well. We do the same thing with snow removal personnel. Probably not the safest thing, but considered necessary I suppose.

Edited by gregintenn
18 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Does he need to mention pricing?

TCA 47-18-5103 is pretty clear about pricing during a state of emergency:

47-18-5103.  Prohibited acts during state of emergency.

Upon the proclamation of a state of emergency and continuing until the state of emergency is terminated, it is unlawful, in any county or municipality covered by the state of emergency, for any person to charge any other person a price for any consumer food item; repair or construction services; emergency supplies; medical supplies; building materials; gasoline; transportation, freight, and storage services; or housing, that is grossly in excess of the price generally charged for the same or similar goods or services in the usual course of business immediately prior to the events giving rise to the state of emergency. An otherwise grossly excessive price increase shall not be unlawful if the person charging such higher price establishes by prima facie evidence that the increase was directly attributable to additional costs imposed on it by the supplier of the goods or services, or was directly attributable to additional costs for labor or materials used to provide the goods or services.

5 minutes ago, Reservoir Dog said:

Does he need to mention pricing?

TCA 47-18-5103 is pretty clear about pricing during a state of emergency:

Check item one where it says "This state of emergency is being declared for the limited purpose of..." and only goes on to address the applicable regulations regarding hours-of-limitation for drivers of commercial drivers.  That may complicate things from a legal side if they need to enforce it in court, and I honestly think that if the governor wanted to, he could have added it in like the neighboring states did.  Unless he wants to let the family business make a quick buck. :P  There are also issues defining just what grossly excessive means (percentage vs. actual amount?).  I think we'll be okay as long as three days from now, gas stations are still getting fuel deliveries on a normal'ish schedule.