Alabama, Georgia declare state of emergency after pipeline spill

Grand Torino

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:07 PM, hardknox00001 said:

Wonder if the broken pipe is a result of the ethanol infused gasoline?

The ethanol isn't added until after the gasoline leaves the pipeline. It would be better if it were not added at all.

Edited by tnhawk
  • Like 2

I topped of my commuter mobile last night at a Shell station on Washington Pk, think it was 2.09 for 87 octane.  A full tank lasts me about ten days.  That station is the first one I see on my drive home from work.  The next two, another Shell was closed so I dunno if they had gas.  The Weigel's had bags on the pump handles.  

I needed to run out for caffeine this morning so I took the truck as it was at 1/4 of a tank.  The Breadbox/Shell by my house had no one at their pumps which is not normal.  There is always someone buying gas. I assumed their situation on fuel was not good. Maybe only high test left.  I went on up to the Weigles at Emery and Tazewell Pk to get diet pepsi and gas.  They had only high test and 100% gas available.  I filled up the truck on the 100% stuff @ 2.14 per gallon using the Club Card.  Usually their pumps are covered up with cars.  It was me and some old guy pumping gas.

If worst case scenario happens it might could get ugly when people don't have fuel to go to work.  Hopefully things will settle down and get back to normal.

Back when I was an Exxon dealer with my own Service Station our fuel prices were controlled by the Feds. I had my location during the fuel embargo. I was told how much fuel I would recieve during that month based on what I sold the year previously. I have a few friends that owned filling station/markets in later years and the rules on gas pricing was a lot different. When ever I received a tank wagon of fuel 8,000 gallons I wrote a check for it when it went in the ground. It was my fuel but the feds could tell me what I could sell it for. In later years as my friends began owning their own Filling Station/Markets the feds got out of the pricing business to a great extent as lawsuits were flying. It was said to be illegal for the Federal Government to tell a business owner what he could charge for a product he/she sold. If the business owner paid for the fuel when it was delivered that fuel became his property and he could resell it at what ever proce he/she wanted to.

That is why you will see so many Mom&Pop locations fuel prices are higher or lower than chain out fits or company stores Like BP and Exxon Tiger markets are priced almost exactly the same. Mapco is also considered a company because they also have the own oil and own refineries. The Feds still control the company operations on fuel prices but not the Mom&Pops.

Things have changed a lot since I owned my service station back in the mid 70's to late 70's.

As soon as I heard the news, the wife and I went and topped off our vehicles. They were sitting on half tanks anyway. All of our families are a half to a full tank away. If I need to go see them I will have the gas to do it.  

If this inconvenienced someone or added to the problem, I am truly sorry... 

Edited by kentmck

In my travels taxiing 5 kids around today, all the outages still seem to be affecting Weigels only. All of them that I passed were out while the stations across the street seem to have gas. Apparently most people will only by Weigels gas.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I had to go to a neighboring town today to get non ethanol gas for my lawnmower. I hate the government!:wall:...and ignorant people.

Ahh... the irony of having to drive some distance during a gas crunch to buy fuel that should be available everywhere.

This moment of insanity brought to you by the federal government. Don't forget, they know way better than we do what's best for us.

We got a call from Raleigh tonight. My BIL and 2 SIL's live there. Really nice folks whose day to day situational awareness runs between 0&.1 

All 3 are stuck at home with no gas. Apparently Raleigh went through their panic moment today. They had no clue there was a problem. 50% of our employees this morning had no idea there was an issue.

A good reminder that otherwise nice people really have no clue.

Maybe it's just me and my area, but it seems to have calmed down. No outages that I see, slightly higher prices but no worse than when a hurricane comes through ( which has no affect at all on fuel production) I think everybody has filled what they have and we are getting regular deliveries still. 

• Authorized Vendor

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/21/company-restarts-gasoline-pipeline-after-leak-in-alabama.html

ATLANTA –  Colonial Pipeline has restarted the gasoline pipeline in Alabama that was shut down after a major leak, which caused shortages and surging fuel prices across the South.

Company officials say in a statement that the pipeline reopened Wednesday evening. The pipeline leak was discovered Sept. 9 near Helena, Alabama, when state workers noticed a strong gasoline odor and sheen on a man-made retention pond.

Read more.

i like how some stations jumped the price up when this started and some stations did not.   i got gas at $1.99 during the weekend.  several stations around me did not jump up the price and they had gas too.  other stations went to the $2.29 price.  one speedway station went to $2.29 and the other speedway station five miles away went to $2.11 a gallon.  to the stations that jumped up the price i am putting them in the same boat as the guns stores (i.e. bentons) that jumped 22 lr ammo to a $100.00 dollars for a bulk box.  never again am i going to spend my money there.

• Moderators
i like how some stations jumped the price up when this started and some stations did not.   i got gas at $1.99 during the weekend.  several stations around me did not jump up the price and they had gas too.  other stations went to the $2.29 price.  one speedway station went to $2.29 and the other speedway station five miles away went to $2.11 a gallon.  to the stations that jumped up the price i am putting them in the same boat as the guns stores (i.e. bentons) that jumped 22 lr ammo to a $100.00 dollars for a bulk box.  never again am i going to spend my money there.

You're equating a 10% increase to a 300% increase?

It bothers me 0% that a station rises their prices a whopping $.20 when there is speculation of reduced supply.

It also bothers me 0% that Benton's charged $100 for .22lr. You either buy it or you don't. Want a secret? Had Benton's left it at rock bottom pricing you wouldn't have been able to buy any anyways. There wouldn't have been any on the shelf.

Equilibrium point: The point where supply meets demand. People that are willing to pay the market price can because it is available. Anything below the market price and you will have a shortage. I'm not saying that $100 was the market price, but anyone that purchased it for $100 was faithful that it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

It bothers me, and I return the favor by not buying unless I absolutely have to.  I would not mind as much if they raised the prices according to how much more it cost them to get gas to their stations, but prices were raised on gas purchased already.  Around here many have gone to a $2.19 some slower than others.  And the bad part is that for many areas, there was never a shortage.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2016 at 5:55 PM, MudBugjr said:

Down here no problem with a dealership taking them traded one off couple years ago and they will still do warranty work. Boy if the EPA really went out they would be fining thousands of people in this state. Even in your neck of the woods I know plenty of people without some bolt back on to pass test and yank them off again. It is dangerous running with a DPF etc when it does a burn off and you lose up tp 75% power when pulling a load you have to pull off the road sometime to let it Re-gen

Well that is complete bs, I just traded a '14 duramax back in, and it didn't lose one bit of power when going through a regen cycle. The only way you knew it was doing it was, the higher idle when stopped. If a dealership took one back on trade with any of the emissions components cut off, they obviously didn't check, and when they found out, I bet they wished they hadn't. I also bet they won't do it again. 

Ok I have had three Fords that all have done this. So don't say BS unless you have driven all diesel trucks. I have had other friends of mine have same issue so glad yours doesn't. We don't have emissions here where I live and dealers take them all the time to resale here. I'm sorry your stuck with all the power sucking equipment on your truck.

• Like 1