Alabama, Georgia declare state of emergency after pipeline spill

Grand Torino

• Moderators
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I'd prefer gas prices rise to the level that would ensure availability rather than remain the same and not be available anywhere. Your mileage may vary.

2 hours ago, BigK said:

Not to put words in your mouth, but if I understand our point...panic buying would stop at some price. That would leave plenty of gas for those that truly need it in the short term. By the time that price became overly burdensome, the crisis would be over.

Markets are a wonderful thing when allowed to work naturally instead of being manipulated by artificial means. 

• Like 4
  • Moderators
12 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Artificial means like the media.

Abetted by a Governor declaring a state of emergency that only results in enriching the family business through panic buying. 

If the markets were allowed to work, it would nip that issue in the bud pretty damn quick. 

52 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Check item one where it says "This state of emergency is being declared for the limited purpose of..." and only goes on to address the applicable regulations regarding hours-of-limitation for drivers of commercial drivers.

I understand the wording of the executive order.  He has declared a state of emergency, and goes on to list temporary exemptions to current laws that will not be enforced during the state of emergency.  TCA 47-18-5103 is already a law on the books, and only requires the declaration of a state of emergency to go into effect.  No such exemption to it is mentioned in the executive order.

News outlets are reporting that the price gouging laws are in effect:  http://fox17.com/news/local/price-gouging-laws-in-effect-as-state-of-emergency-declared-to-ensure-fuel-supply

36 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Markets are a wonderful thing when allowed to work naturally instead of being manipulated by artificial means. 

28 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Artificial means like the media.

I see the media is a part existence in the market, not an artificial entity.  That would be like calling the weather an artificial means of manipulation when people panic buy before a storm.  Both are uncontrollable risk factors that can exacerbate supply and demand.  Also both subside sooner or later. 

2 minutes ago, Reservoir Dog said:

News outlets are reporting that the price gouging laws are in effect:  http://fox17.com/news/local/price-gouging-laws-in-effect-as-state-of-emergency-declared-to-ensure-fuel-supply

So it is.  Good catch.

• Like 1

All this panic did was move the date some people fill up from Monday to Friday/Saturday. I'd bet that a lot of unnecessary trips will be cancelled this weekend out of fear there won't be enough gas to get to/from work next week. All in all, there will likely be LESS gas used in the next few days...meaning, when everything goes back to normal I suspect a lot of the panic buyers' tanks will still be full. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, KKing said:

Have we really made it this far in the thread and no one blamed it on Obama?

That sly bastard has all of you fooled :tinfoil:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just figured everything is still Bush's fault, so I didn't bother.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Abetted by a Governor declaring a state of emergency that only results in enriching the family business through panic buying. 

If the markets were allowed to work, it would nip that issue in the bud pretty damn quick. 

If he wanted to look out for the family business would he not stay out of it and let the gas stations charge whatever they like?

How can panic buying help the gas companies if the price remains the same? Yes, everyone went out and filled their tanks today; but that won’t change the big picture over time.

Why is that weigels is the only stations out. I know there are some others but ALL weigel are completely out or down to 1 octane. Are there holding tanks smaller or did they miss a shipment or (tin foil hat alert) are they just saying they are out and all of a sudden when everyone else is out thwy magically have gas for $4 a gallon.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, analog_kidd said:

Was I the only one, who looked at the picture of the pond of gas that had pooled up, and think what would happen if someone sent a flaming arrow into the middle of it? 

I wondered what they were doing to keep 250,000 gallons of gasoline from igniting.  confused.gif

12 minutes ago, LI0NSFAN said:

Why is that weigels is the only stations out. I know there are some others but ALL weigel are completely out or down to 1 octane. Are there holding tanks smaller or did they miss a shipment or (tin foil hat alert) are they just saying they are out and all of a sudden when everyone else is out thwy magically have gas for $4 a gallon.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I'd say it depends on which terminal they load out of and which pipeline it's served by. It looks like Knoxville has 2 pipelines coming in, Colonial is the damaged one, and also Plantation. The Colonial has more capacity than Plantation but at least there is still something coming into Knoxville.

29 minutes ago, McGarrett said:

I'd say it depends on which terminal they load out of and which pipeline it's served by. It looks like Knoxville has 2 pipelines coming in, Colonial is the damaged one, and also Plantation. The Colonial has more capacity than Plantation but at least there is still something coming into Knoxville.

For anyone interested: 

45 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I wonder how many liberal heads are spinning knowing that "colonial" and "plantation" pipelines are serving their fossil fuel needs.

We should be considerate of their feelings and stop discussing it now. Maybe have some hot chocolate and talk about Obamacare.

Edited by mikegideon
19 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

We should be considerate of their feelings and stop discussing it now. Maybe have some hot chocolate and talk about Obamacare.

I'm brewing some chai tea to bicycle over to folks stuck in safe spaces.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
Just now, mikegideon said:

Now... when everybody is real calm and comfy, we can kick their asses and take their gasoline. :)

I was editing my post when quoted...realized that kumbaya has Christian connotations.  We can't have that, the heads might stop spinning and actually explode.

• Moderators
I'd prefer gas prices rise to the level that would ensure availability rather than remain the same and not be available anywhere. Your mileage may vary.

Finally. Someone who understands basic supply and demand.

If a law is keeping prices below the equilibrium point there will be a shortage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2