Blaze Orange - For landowners

Omega

I noticed that the landowner exception for blaze orange is missing from this year's reg book.  I wonder if it is an oversight or a change they intended on making?  I don't wear it usually as I'm in my blind well before shooting time but I do carry it for when I have to retrive a deer or if I come out of my blind early.

TWRA Fluorescent "Blaze" Orange Requirements:

Hunters must wear on the upper portion of their body and head a minimum of 500-square inches of daylight fluorescent orange (blaze orange), visible front and back, while hunting big game except on archery-only and turkey hunts. (A hat and vest fulfills requirements.) Blaze orange camo is legal if it contains 500 square inches of fluorescent orange. In those areas where the archery-only deer season dates overlap with another big game gun season (i. e. bear or boar), archers are required to wear 500 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange (TCA-70-4-124).

--

The wording above does not seem to distinguish or indicate any exception short of archery-only and turkey hunts.   Deer can't see it.   Better safe than sorry to wear it when the orange army starts to come out between Muzzeloader & Rifle season. 

Edited by FJCrusing
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, FJCrusing said:

TWRA Fluorescent "Blaze" Orange Requirements:

Hunters must wear on the upper portion of their body and head a minimum of 500-square inches of daylight fluorescent orange (blaze orange), visible front and back, while hunting big game except on archery-only and turkey hunts. (A hat and vest fulfills requirements.) Blaze orange camo is legal if it contains 500 square inches of fluorescent orange. In those areas where the archery-only deer season dates overlap with another big game gun season (i. e. bear or boar), archers are required to wear 500 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange (TCA-70-4-124).

--

The wording above does not seem to distinguish or indicate any exception short of archery-only and turkey hunts. 

Yes, that is how it reads now, but it read like this before

70-4-124. Wearing daylight fluorescent orange color while hunting big game required Penalty.

(a)  Every person hunting big game except turkey during the gun hunts proclaimed by the commission shall wear on the upper portion of the body and head outer garments of daylight fluorescent orange color of not less than five hundred (500) square inches and visible from the front and back.

(b)  Daylight fluorescent orange color means having a dominant wave length between five hundred ninety-five thousandths (.595) and six hundred five thousandths (.605) nanometers, excitation purity of not less than eighty-five percent (85%) and a luminance factor of not less than forty percent (40%).

(c)  A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

(d)  This section does not apply to a person hunting on that person's own property.

[Acts 1975, ch. 178, §§ 1-3; 1982, ch. 738, § 24; T.C.A., § 51-445; Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 113.]  

• 2 years later...

It is actually noted under the "Farmland Owner License Exemption section. It states that if you (or your kids) are hunting your own land you are exempt from the Hunter Education and Blaze Orange requirements. Like Omega noted, I keep it with me and wear it to and from my stand just in case somebody is trespassing on my land.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chris said:

This time of year I always wear orange when I’m at the farm.  Heck I make the dogs wear orange. Too many trigger happy hunters back here to risk it. 

I wouldn't enter the woods going to and from my stand and any moving I might do back when we owned the farm and was still wearing it when I retired from hunting. My son and grandsons all wear the orange when they are hunting my sons property since until this year he had poachers. The poachers are gone but they still all wear the orange when they go in the woods. If I was a farmer these days I would do like Chris and put my dogs in orange and if I had cattle or horses I would have a big orange X painted on both sides of them. I have not had any friends get their dogs shot but have had a few get horses and cows shot over the years. Better to be safe than sorry...............:rock:

• Like 1