Remlin 1894

SquidBilly

Been looking at new lever guns lately and had trouble deciding on what to get. I'm a Marlin guy and had a hard time with the Remington quality. But after some research and finding out that.rhe 1894/5's had been retooled and overall quality was better than from 07-12, I decided I still had to have a Marlin.

I ordered from Buds and my expectations were exceeded by far. Nice action, and quality fit and finish. Hopefully all of the new Remlins are this nice.

20160917_175356-1.jpg

20160917_175454-1.jpg

Edited by SquidBilly
  • Like 4

Nice rifle. I love mine, it's an older JM 1894 in .357. I load .38s with 105gr lead bullets going around 640 fps. It became my new plinking gun after .22 ammo go so ridiculous.

I'd take all the negative garble on the internet with a grain of salt. Remington has been in business a long time, and if something is not right, I'm sure they'll stand behind it. Your rifle looks like a good example of quality. Enjoy it.

I've got an early model JM 1894 in .357Magnum and have been casually looking for its twin in .44 Magnum for a umber of years now. I love the older pre-cross-bolt safety Marlins. Insofar as the newer Marlins go I like some of their Cowboy 1894/1895 rifles in .45 Colt and 45/70. Your rifle appears to have some nice wood, how's the wood to metal fit around the tang and forearm?

As a collector of levers I will say that while I'm happy to hear that Remington finally got their act together on the Marlin levers it's unfortunate that so many "attempts" are out there floating around in the secondary market. I've collected for a while so everything I have is JM stamped, pre  buyout, and several are pre cross bolt safety, but that doesn't mean I don't look when I see one priced decently. Usually that means the owner is trying to pass the issue on to a new unsuspecting buyer.

The pics you posted look like traditional Marlin so that and the positive feedback renew my hopes they got all the issues worked out !

• Like 1

Latest Hickok45 video is of a new Marlin 1895 Cowboy and its... well I wouldn't want it. Different finish on the barrel and receiver. Horrible fit on the forend. Wood looks very cheap IMO. No comparison on quality of fit and finish to his JM stamp 1894 he has for a comparison. I really hate that a great American manufacturer of classic rifles is putting out such pieces today.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2016 at 7:45 PM, TNWNGR said:

I've got an early model JM 1894 in .357Magnum and have been casually looking for its twin in .44 Magnum for a umber of years now. I love the older pre-cross-bolt safety Marlins. Insofar as the newer Marlins go I like some of their Cowboy 1894/1895 rifles in .45 Colt and 45/70. Your rifle appears to have some nice wood, how's the wood to metal fit around the tang and forearm?

The fit around the tang is solid and tight. A touch proud on the sides but no big deal. It's got a good bluing on the barrel, but the reciever is kind of matte. Wood is nice but could use some oil and a hand rub.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:24 AM, nightrunner said:

Latest Hickok45 video is of a new Marlin 1895 Cowboy and its... well I wouldn't want it. Different finish on the barrel and receiver. Horrible fit on the forend. Wood looks very cheap IMO. No comparison on quality of fit and finish to his JM stamp 1894 he has for a comparison. I really hate that a great American manufacturer of classic rifles is putting out such pieces today.

That's the same reason I don't buy American cars and trucks anymore. All quality went down hill :wall:   You cant beat a good old ORIGINAL Marlin lever action. They just wont quit . I was about to get the "youth" Marlin lever 336 in 30-30 since it was so small and short and easy to use in the tree stand . This was a few years ago.  I looked at over 4 of them and they all had crooked magazines compared to the barrels. These were the Remington/Marlin hybrids or "POS's" as I call it , that are being made today.

Edited by tercel89

I let my JM 1894 Marlin 357 go a few years ago. (Yes I regret it!) Decades ago I had the 1894 in 44mag did not shoot it much and sold it in the mid 80s! The last couple years I have looked hard at buying another 357 lever. Marlin still makes them but for some weird reason they are not sold in the U.S. Look online they have them in Australia in gun stores. I don't want a Rossi, I don't care for the Henry design. I don't want to pay auction prices for the the old 1894s. So I may buy the Japenese made Winchester 1873 in 357. 

As for the Marlin 1894 in current production in 44 mag, they get mostly great reviews and I would not mind trying one! But I have nothing else left in 44mag. Heck I might get one anyway!