Official 2016-2017 Deer Season Thread

Wow, the wait is finally over (for us bow hunters anyway)! The last month has flown by for me. I bought a Mathews Switchback from my uncle who took excellent care of it. Put new everything on it including new cam for my draw length. I absolutely love this bow! Cannot wait to get in the ladder stand tomorrow. I also finally upgraded my climber. Been using a Summit Classic Viper for about 15 years. It's been a great stand, heavy but great. I went to Bass Pro and picked up a new Viper SD and the 9 less pounds are noticeable:)

I want to wish everyone a successful season but only after I strongly wish that you ALL wear your harness while in the stand! Come home to your family after every hunt safely. May your aim be true!!

• Like 2

Good luck tomorrow! I plan to hit the woods for an afternoon hunt. It will be hotter then, but that's when I can go. I have more stand sites this year than last. Almost too many places 'cause I'm not sure which I want to hunt first. No doubt the mack-daddy will be on the trail cam of the stand I'm not in, lol.

I'm really excited about the season. I have some small food plots ready to sow, but I need some rain before I put my seed out. I had them planted back in the spring, but the drought torched them.

I will be using my trusty Martin Firecat TR1 with GoldTip arrows for now. Funny thing, I was looking at a used Switchback XT the other day. I'm still thinking about getting it for a second bow (or new primary). I have read that the Switchback is still one of the best hunting bows Matthews ever made. Last year I lost most of the archery season because I broke a cable on my Martin, so I'd like to have 2 good bows ready to hunt. 

You're going to love that Viper SD. That's what I have, and I can sit in that all day.

Good luck!

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1

Beautiful morning! A lot of people said they were hot even earlier this morning but it was co where we hunted. It warmed up quite a bit around 9 so we left at 10. Saw one nice buck 50 or so yards out, no shot and also a huge rabbit. Great morning and can't wait to get back out this evening. 

50 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

I'm sitting in the stand now. Nice little breeze so it's not too bad. The ants in this tree are GIANT. I hope they don't decide to carry my off. 

Sitting my new Summit and loving it. If the breeze wasn't here it'd be miserable. I'm hunting a different spot this evening. Good luck!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, rugerla1 said:

Sitting my new Summit and loving it. If the breeze wasn't here it'd be miserable. I'm hunting a different spot this evening. Good luck!

That climber is great! I think I lost mine though... my son (13) finally showed some interest and went with me this evening. He used my Viper SD and I used an older steel one similar to it. He absolutely loved it and said he wants to go all the time... then he asked if he could use that climber because it was so much fun and comfortable. Of course I said "sure". I'll gladly get another Viper SD or use the heavy one if he'll start going with me.

We saw a doe and fawn in the plowed up power line food plot, so he got a dose of adrenalin. I let them walk because I don't like shooting mama with baby. I'm planning to seed that plot tomorrow before it rains monday, so it should be a great spot.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

That climber is great! I think I lost mine though... my son (13) finally showed some interest and went with me this evening. He used my Viper SD and I used an older steel one similar to it. He absolutely loved it and said he wants to go all the time... then he asked if he could use that climber because it was so much fun and comfortable. Of course I said "sure". I'll gladly get another Viper SD or use the heavy one if he'll start going with me.

We saw a doe and fawn in the plowed up power line food plot, so he got a dose of adrenalin. I let them walk because I don't like shooting mama with baby. I'm planning to seed that plot tomorrow before it rains monday, so it should be a great spot.

What an awesome reason to have to buy another stand! 

I didn't see a dang thing. As the sun dropped it didn't cool off either. I was sweating the entire time, hell they probably smelled me and stayed way away haha. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, rugerla1 said:

What an awesome reason to have to buy another stand! 

I didn't see a dang thing. As the sun dropped it didn't cool off either. I was sweating the entire time, hell they probably smelled me and stayed way away haha. 

I was hot too especially when the breeze stopped. I also forgot the Thermacell of all things.

Just now, Wiljo05 said:

Deer moved all day where I sat. Never saw the first doe but saw 11 bucks. At least 7 different bucks. Makes me nervous about the rut though, no does may mean those guys I saw today may migrate

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dang, I was happy to lay eyes on one buck today! No shooters or no shot?

6 minutes ago, Wiljo05 said:

Deer moved all day where I sat. Never saw the first doe but saw 11 bucks. At least 7 different bucks. Makes me nervous about the rut though, no does may mean those guys I saw today may migrate

Cool.

Send them southeast. We have the ladies ;)

• Like 2
Dang, I was happy to lay eyes on one buck today! No shooters or no shot?

One shooter, but it was too thick for a safe shot. I drew back on one, but kept from dropping the arrow remembering the 2 good ones I have on camera.

Was a great day seeing deer for sure!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, conn_air7 said:

Saw one doe this morning, too thick for a shot though. Maybe this cool weather coming in will get them moving. Are you guys mostly in the woods or clover fields etc...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hunting woods only. From what I'm hearing they are moving a lot more since yesterday's rain. I sure wanted to be in my stand this morning! I took off this coming Monday to extend my weekend hunt. Just requested first week of muzzleloader off as well. 

• Like 1
I'm hunting woods only. From what I'm hearing they are moving a lot more since yesterday's rain. I sure wanted to be in my stand this morning! I took off this coming Monday to extend my weekend hunt. Just requested first week of muzzleloader off as well. 

Can't decide whether I want to hunt the edge of my clover field or try the deep woods. Supposed to be 10 degrees cooler in the morning so I will be in my stand.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, conn_air7 said:

Can't decide whether I want to hunt the edge of my clover field or try the deep woods. Supposed to be 10 degrees cooler in the morning so I will be in my stand.

Personally I'm partial to deep woods, so that's where I'd be. But yesterday I wouldn't have minded being on the edge of a field with that rain having just moved through. I'm working tomorrow but good luck, I hope you have deer all around you.