M&P 9mm fails miserably on reliability test

Erik88

If you are not aware, Military Arms Channel has recently started doing reliability tests with various handguns. Some guns have definitely done better than others and there have been a few surprises.

Before I opened the video I had a feeling the M&P was going to do poorly. I was right. He said it was the first pistol to fail the water test.

I'll continue to buy and carry Glocks. The 17 did much better in the test. The Walther PPQ also did very well.

Fast forward to 2:46 for the first failure.

• Administrator

I love my M&P 40 and have not been kind to it.  It's been with me now for about 10 years, I guess, and was one of the first production run M&P's that Smith and Wesson made.  It is a freak of nature and has an amazingly good trigger.  Glock-like.  I haven't taken it swimming, but I have no reason to.  

My M&P 45 is stupendously accurate and had a pretty damn good trigger out of the box that I made better with Apex parts.  It now feels freakishly 1911-like.  I should shoot it more than I do, but I don't.  I may list it for sale soon.  Someone will get a great shooter if they buy it.

That said, every M&P 9mm I have ever held, from the earliest to the most recent, has had an absolutely TERRIBLE trigger.  I don't get it.  I am sure there are some freak of nature 9's out there just like my 40 that feel wonderful, but damned if I am going to buy dozens of them to find the Holy Grail.  Two was enough for me.  Neither of them felt good.  I sold one, kept the other.

I wanted to love an M&P 9mm and relegate my Glock 19s to the safe, but I just couldn't.  The Glock 19 remains my go-to, but the Sig P320 is gaining ground on it every time I shoot it.  Military Arms Channel liked the P320 and it did great in their torture test.

That is not a surprise to me at all. A cousin of mine that works for Atlanta said they couldn't hand their M&P's in fast enough. Scores were higher with the M&P's for the most part, but reports were they were some of the most finicky tools imaginable.

As you typed this I was rewatching the P320 test. I wouldn't say it did great. It failed before making it to the "gauntlet". It even failed during the initial break in without being subjected to any extremes. It certainly outperformed the M&P though, of which I have very little respect.

I do like the p320 though. It feels good in the hand and I've heard the trigger is great.

I also agree with your point about not going swimming with these guys. None of us operators here. To me, this just validates the overall durability and dependability of said weapons. If nothing else, it gives us a point of comparison when selecting a carry gun. 

5 minutes ago, Patton said:

That is not a surprise to me at all. A cousin of mine that works for Atlanta said they couldn't hand their M&P's in fast enough. Scores were higher with the M&P's for the most part, but reports were they were some of the most finicky tools imaginable.

Ya I truly don't understand the small crowd of die hard M&P guys. I understand the desire to support an American made pistol/company but that does not outweigh all the negatives. If I have to buy a gun and then immediately swap out the trigger then I've made a bad choice. I'd much rather buy a PPQ or VP9.

• Like 1

That has sure not been my experience.  I have a M&P9 that feeds anything I put through it, the trigger is pretty good and it seems to shoot very accurate.  It doesn't matter how you hold it, you can limp wrist it to death and it still works every time.  I have a Glock 19 on the other hand that is a POS.  I'm not a gun trader but that gun keeps getting closer to the door every time it goes to the range.  I don't pack my guns with mud or dip them in water but they have been on the ground and dripping wet from rain several times.

Someone will likely own it someday.  Like I said I don't really trade guns, I think of them as investment grade assets.  But I do expect them to work.  I'm not a die hard M&P guy, although I do really like the one I have.  Right now I'm shooting an IWI Jericho as my wife has taken my M&P over the Glock.

I do understand that Glock has a huge following and rightfully so, however my experience has not been good.

Allen1 if you want it fixed Glock will check it out along with all your magazines if you want to make the trip to Smyrna, Georgia during their business hours. I had 2 pistols rebuilt and all magazines checked and new ones replaced some older mags. 0 cost to me except for my expenses to the factory. 

Someone will likely own it someday.  Like I said I don't really trade guns, I think of them as investment grade assets.  But I do expect them to work.  I'm not a die hard M&P guy, although I do really like the one I have.  Right now I'm shooting an IWI Jericho as my wife has taken my M&P over the Glock.
I do understand that Glock has a huge following and rightfully so, however my experience has not been good.

Well, what is the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Allen1 said:

That has sure not been my experience.  I have a M&P9 that feeds anything I put through it, the trigger is pretty good and it seems to shoot very accurate.  It doesn't matter how you hold it, you can limp wrist it to death and it still works every time.  I have a Glock 19 on the other hand that is a POS.  I'm not a gun trader but that gun keeps getting closer to the door every time it goes to the range.  I don't pack my guns with mud or dip them in water but they have been on the ground and dripping wet from rain several times.

I learned a long time ago to let someone else who was a good shooter to put a pistol I was having problems with through its paces. Any problems were either shooter induced or easily identified and rectified. The G-19's a fairly reliable platform so I suspect the same process will shed some light for you. But I will point out that the grip angle on Glock pistols along with its trigger give some people fits of frustration.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TNWNGR said:

I learned a long time ago to let someone else who was a good shooter to put a pistol I was having problems with through its paces. Any problems were either shooter induced or easily identified and rectified. The G-19's a fairly reliable platform so I suspect the same process will shed some light for you. But I will point out that the grip angle on Glock pistols along with its trigger give some people fits of frustration.

Your advise is sound.  A good shooter may likely have no issues with this gun.  I do believe it is the gripping of the gun that repeatedly causes the problem.  If you limp wrist it in the slightest it will fail to eject.  The same shooter can pickup the M&P and have no issue at all.  I find it hard to believe that the Glock would be that touchy to grip and yet be as popular as it is.  This started the first day we bought it and was bad enough we took it back to the store to have it checked by Glock owners there.  It took about 400 rounds before it settled down.  It will to this day still not cycle if you have a loose grip.  Don't get the idea that I am bad mouthing Glocks in general, just disappointed in this one.  Wife just told me I can't get rid of it because it was the first gun I bought her.

MAC's "testing" is a lot better at generating site traffic than generating useful data.  Exercises like these just aren't very relevant to what 99.99% of pistols are going to go through.  And testing of any sort on just one example of a particular gun is never going to tell you much.

• Like 6

While an M&P wouldn't be my 1st-5th choice for a 9mm striker fired pistol, I don't think the MAC testing is enough to make me say someone shouldn't carry one if they're comfortable with it, and put plenty of rounds through it at the range.

The videos are quite entertaining to watch, though.

• Like 3

I wouldn't pay any attention to MAC's test on the M&P.  Its a joke.  He says right up front that it has aftermarket parts in it and then at the end says they definitely didn't cause the malfunctions because they don't change the mechanism.  Put the stock parts back in or grab a new one out of the case and test it. He can't say he can't afford it because he's made enough money off the channel to buy a shop and an 8k dollar 249.  He can afford to lose 100 bucks on a M&P.  

The glock also failed the water test I think, Can't remember for sure but I don't think it went fully into battery with just water.  

Doesn't matter, these reviews have really been the last straw for me.  I was already frustrated that he only played with expensive toys that I can't afford and talked about them like everyone could. These tests just kinda sealed it for me, I unsubscribed.  I miss the old days when he just showed off old mil weapons. 

• Like 1

A test like this would have to be repeated many times to get a real set of data points to say one is more or less reliable than another. Then to do a good job it would have to be repeated with several guns. Lots of work to prove something to the point of saying it has scientific value.

This is entertainment nothing more...

• Like 2