Gallatin Gun Club License To Operate at Steam Plant (Since 1962) TERMINATED

GS455

". . . this decision came down from the top within TVA and was not a local decision or request. The Gallatin plant management and personnel have always been supportive of GGC and still are."

What a travesty !!!  I would suspect somewhat political in nature given the posture of the current outgoing Presidential Administration but don't let me be caught spreading conspiracy theories.  I don't know if it's cool to post the whole letter that was sent to us members but it looks like we'll be looking for another site post haste.

" We are currently looking for property and need everyone's help. Let us know if there is a piece of property you think might be suitable for a range. The sooner we find a location the sooner we can start the zoning process for approval for use as a gun range. The sooner all of that occurs, the sooner that general membership activities including competitions and shooting can resume on a new range.

Edited by GS455

The first year I joined I went to a meeting,(no longer a member) there was a lady there from the TVA. The TVA at that time was perking the site for water drainage. Something about ash storage, my guess it passed the perk test and gona use it for that.

6 minutes ago, RED333 said:

The first year I joined I went to a meeting,(no longer a member) there was a lady there from the TVA. The TVA at that time was perking the site for water drainage. Something about ash storage, my guess it passed the perk test and gona use it for that.

No, we cleared that hurdle a couple years ago.  Ash site went elsewhere.   Far as I can tell this came outta nowhere and w/o warning.  I'm gonna attend the next meeting.

I was sad when I read the email. In today's climate I sort of expected it at some point. Spent many hours there over the years. I hope they are able to secure a new site. I have faith in the leadership that they will. I believe I'll go ahead and send my renewal in early.

Man I really hate that the Gallatin Gun Club is getting kicked out. I've been a member since 1992. I am only about 9 miles from the range. TVA is saying that the reasons are, security issues, and also safety issues due to planned growth of plant facilities. As far as I know there has never been any incidents of any one shooting out there that has EVER caused any trouble. I say BS!  I think it is the current president Obama having to do with this.He hates guns, hates people that owns guns, hates the 2nd amendment , and hates us NRA members! So, hopefully the GGC leadership can build a new gun range in the future. I will like wise will continue to pay my yearly membership. gearyr

9 hours ago, Steelharp said:

Wonder how this will affect membership renewals? I'm sure they can use every dollar they can get for whatever facility they wind up with.

I tried to join 3 or 4 months ago and was told I would have to be put on a one to two year waiting list. 

26 minutes ago, Esko 270 said:

I tried to join 3 or 4 months ago and was told I would have to be put on a one to two year waiting list. 

22 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Might be longer now...

Yeah, I was told the same thing when I tried last year. Sure hate this is happening. The facilities were great. One of my fondest memories of the club and the range involve my first bowling pin match with my BHP. It wasn't pretty. Then doing a "jungle walk" later in the day.

It sure was a fun time.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Esko 270 said:

Been on the waiting list for two years as of this next week. Stinks the wait will probably lengthen, but maybe a site will be found that can accommodate more members.

• Like 1