Gallatin Gun Club License To Operate at Steam Plant (Since 1962) TERMINATED

GS455

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:19 PM, monkeylizard said:

It might be wide open. Many ranges restrict membership levels intentionally so that they don't have 500 people showing up on Saturday morning to use 20 lanes. Strategic Edge caps their numbers and it's currently closed to new members. The relocating will certainly give the club more flexibility, but I hope they don't throw the limits completely out the window.

I'm renewing for 2017, but I may have to drop that for 2018 and open a spot for someone else depending on where they relocate. It's already an hour drive each way for me and I don't get there as often as I'd like. If they end up in some place like Westmoreland or Trousdale Co., I just can't see that happening for me.

I would definitely be on a list ASAP if they moved to the north Sumner area!!!

Hershmeister, keep me in mind!

Yep. Hwy 231 in Trousdale Co. Dues are going to $200/year. The price is inline with other ranges, but I'd better start getting more than a 300yd range that's effectively closed on Saturdays for that. Strategic Edge is the same price and goes to 1250 yds, has 2 different pistol ranges and a tactical carbine range, plus offers classes. I thought I saw a skeet field the last time I drove by, but I didn't see it listed on their site.

Meetings Nov. 14 & 15. I'll see what they have to say about what the plans are for the range. Now I'm wishing I hadn't sent in my $50 yesterday without knowing this new information without good details on what's planned to be installed.

Edited by monkeylizard

We were out at the Trousdale site yesterday with the survey guy and with good planning and a lot of dozer work, in time, we should be able to get a 100 yard rifle, 400 yard rifle, 8-10 pistol bays and 4 shotgun pits where every body can use them at the same time. Their will also be enough parking to accommodate every body.  Their is water service at the highway and a possibility to buy a small home next to the property has a club house. I see very good possibilities with this location. From my home in Hermitage it is 36 miles, takes about 45 mins travel time. 

We are working with the zoning folks and other officials on any issues that may pop up before making a firm commitment. I can see it taking up to five years to get everything in place on a pay as you go using dues to get their. 

We were out at the Trousdale site yesterday with the survey guy and with good planning and a lot of dozer work, in time, we should be able to get a 100 yard rifle, 400 yard rifle, 8-10 pistol bays and 4 shotgun pits where every body can use them at the same time. Their will also be enough parking to accommodate every body.  Their is water service at the highway and a possibility to buy a small home next to the property has a club house. I see very good possibilities with this location. From my home in Hermitage it is 36 miles, takes about 45 mins travel time. 
 We are working with the zoning folks and other officials on any issues that may pop up before making a firm commitment. I can see it taking up to five years to get everything in place on a pay as you go using dues to get their. 

The site is gorgeous and well suited for a range- my legs were sure tired hiking up that big hill! With the larger area we'll be able to have Saturday tournaments and still have member use of the the other parts of the range - a major improvement over our current cramped situation.
  • Like 1

Only 10-15 min farther for me.  It's a gorgeous site.  I had the privilege of riding nearly every square acre of it on a four wheeler on a GPS surveying exercise (4-5 hours straight on an ATV up many steep inclines and I can tell you my upper body is KILLING me today).  I think we may be underestimating what could be possible for this land.  Of course I am not in the know of the NRA specs of how best to design a range but I could imagine several IDPA matches and maybe even an area for three gun all happening at once..

I just hope that others will  be able to use the new range on Saturdays instead of a match every week. To spend time with my children shooting. For some of us Sunday is out due to church and family time. (Mainly because the wife is not having It). 

Well I live out here in Castalian Springs. Just a jump and a hop for me to our new range! But the $200.00 a year just might cause a lot of us not join back up. The only way I can do that is. If the club membership can let some of us pay the membership monthly. If not, bye, bye. gearyr

I just hope that others will  be able to use the new range on Saturdays instead of a match every week. To spend time with my children shooting. For some of us Sunday is out due to church and family time. (Mainly because the wife is not having It). 

That is precisely the plan [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, seez52 said:

Sad to hear the Hwy. 231 property deal has fallen through. Maybe they find one similarly close by.

The seller listed the property as 135 acres and the survey came back at 105 acres.  That sort of explains why we were having trouble fitting everything into the footprint of the plot boundaries.

Seller was also making noise that they wouldn't back off their asking price - - - the old "I have another buyer interested" deal.  Had we paid, it would have made those 105 acres just about the most expensive land in Trousdale county!

2 minutes ago, DMark said:

The seller listed the property as 135 acres and the survey came back at 105 acres.  That sort of explains why we were having trouble fitting everything into the footprint of the plot boundaries.

Seller was also making noise that they wouldn't back off their asking price - - - the old "I have another buyer interested" deal.  Had we paid, it would have made those 105 acres just about the most expensive land in Trousdale county!

kinda figured, I had wondered if the contract was written to be based on a per acre price or just a price for the whole. I was a little disappointed when looking at the range plans that there was not plans for something longer than 300 yards. Looked like it got pretty steep past 300.

kinda figured, I had wondered if the contract was written to be based on a per acre price or just a price for the whole. I was a little disappointed when looking at the range plans that there was not plans for something longer than 300 yards. Looked like it got pretty steep past 300.

It was steep! Wore my ass off hiking up that big hill!
Time to call Congressman Black again!
  • Like 2

The 300 yard range was a boilerplate overlay that was being used as we prepared to go forward with the all of the county planning meeting.

With the vertical relief we had to the east, I was sure that 400 was doable with a possible 500 yard for some of the firing positions.

But kept running into why things weren't fitting toward the south.  Started to wonder if I had defaulted to meters instead of yards since I was having to convert the small arms surface danger zones (SDZ) figures from meters into yards ..., but that wouldn't have added up with the plot problems.

30 less acres will sort of mess with your templates!    

• Like 1

NO, NO, NO! 

I want a range less then 10 minutes from home.

Was talking to one of the council members about the range last weekend. He was all for it and said the locales opposed to it didn't have any real reasons to deny it.

6 hours ago, Hershmeister said:

Time to call Congressman Black again!

Go git er dun Hersh.  

Need a few more months at the Steam Plant.   Especially if we're going to hold onto members. Nobody's going to want to pay dues (increased dues) for no place to shoot.   Maybe the climate in Washington is different now (ya think ???)

• Like 1