Gallatin Gun Club License To Operate at Steam Plant (Since 1962) TERMINATED

GS455

4 minutes ago, Hershmeister said:

The waiting list was due to a limit places by TVA. Once GGC opens up their new site membership will be wide open

It might be wide open. Many ranges restrict membership levels intentionally so that they don't have 500 people showing up on Saturday morning to use 20 lanes. Strategic Edge caps their numbers and it's currently closed to new members. The relocating will certainly give the club more flexibility, but I hope they don't throw the limits completely out the window.

I'm renewing for 2017, but I may have to drop that for 2018 and open a spot for someone else depending on where they relocate. It's already an hour drive each way for me and I don't get there as often as I'd like. If they end up in some place like Westmoreland or Trousdale Co., I just can't see that happening for me.

It might be wide open. Many ranges restrict membership levels intentionally so that they don't have 500 people showing up on Saturday morning to use 20 lanes. Strategic Edge caps their numbers and it's currently closed to new members. The relocating will certainly give the club more flexibility, but I hope they don't throw the limits completely out the window.
I'm renewing for 2017, but I may have to drop that for 2018 and open a spot for someone else depending on where they relocate. It's already an hour drive each way for me and I don't get there as often as I'd like. If they end up in some place like Westmoreland or Trousdale Co., I just can't see that happening for me.

True - of course every Saturday has public matches, and even with its current membership, GGC has never been packed. We'll see what happens

And yea, i suspect they will wind up in that area since land is still cheap and the terrain favors a range site.

I think Ron once told me that out of the 1,200 members only a couple/few hundred actually made use of the range.  Lot of members don't even live in the vicinity anymore.

Gonna take the pessimistic view for a second here: I fear that between moving further out of town, nonrenewing members, further distance for non members to attend shooting events and especially being down for a year (or so)  there could be a major slump in membership (and income) before it gets better.  This could actually be devastating as the club reserves between purchase and build out could be entirely depleted.

Everyone should try to get to this Mondays meeting.

5 hours ago, Hershmeister said:

I will be the optimist and say while it certainly will be a little farther than it is now, I believe they will be able to create a much larger and better range than we have now.

If we build it they will come ?

2 hours ago, rstandley said:

Their is a good possibility that after we secure a site, we will open the membership rolls to secure more funding. Get in on the bottom floor so to speak. It is looking like 40% will drop out, the rest of us are building a new range.

As best as you can tell at this point, will the dues still be $50, and the same mailing address?

I think it's safe to say that the dues MUST go up SIGNIFICANTLY  for us to purchase land and build out a range that is at minimum the quality of what we had. And more likely will surpass including facilty for other shooting disciplines/sports.

As long it isn't way out in the boonies (near the KY border or something) I am hopeful in the end we will have a robust more involved membership.  Out of a presently capped 1,200 members probably only a couple hundred AT MOST use the range at all.  $50/yr was pathetically cheap for what that place was.  That's why so many members (many who left middle TN) just kept renewing via auto pay.  Higher dues will mean higher quality membership/attendance/involvement.

On 10/5/2016 at 11:20 PM, GS455 said:

Out of a presently capped 1,200 members probably only a couple hundred AT MOST use the range at all. 

One (of several) reasons for that is the range closure on Saturdays for matches during the not-sucky-weather months. I get that one of the missions of the club is to promote the shooting sports through matches, and I support that, but that's not something that interests me right now. Saturdays are often the only days I have the time to shoot and it's closed unless I want to compete, which I don't. I only get out there a few times a year because of that. It would be great if the new range could accommodate most of, or at least some of, the matches without having to shut the whole thing down.

• Like 1

I feel your pain. I plan on pushing for a range that has separate shooting locations for pistol, rifle and shotgun and multiple for each. The Gallatin range was never designed for what it evolved to. It is time for us to move on to better things. 

I don’t live in Gallatin, but if I did I would stop in at Beretta and see if I could get an appointment with the Plant Manager or the Marketing Manager (if they have one at that facility) and see if they would be interested in either building a range or sponsoring a range. Can’t hurt to ask, and you may get some useful information.

Since they have been in business for almost 500 years; they probably have some good information.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I don’t live in Gallatin, but if I did I would stop in at Beretta and see if I could get an appointment with the Plant Manager or the Marketing Manager (if they have one at that facility) and see if they would be interested in either building a range or sponsoring a range. Can’t hurt to ask, and you may get some useful information.

Since they have been in business for almost 500 years; they probably have some good information.

I can see Beretta being interested in sponsoring the largest NRA-affiliated shooting club in the nation.

9 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

I can see Beretta being interested in sponsoring the largest NRA-affiliated shooting club in the nation.

Great idea! I'd be willing to bet that somewhere along the line, some of the GGC bigwigs have given this some thought.

7 hours ago, DaveTN said:

The topic was broached among several at the meeting.  We'll see.

• 3 weeks later...