New TGO web host report card. Post your feedback here.

Grade the new web host and post your comments in-line.  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new web host and post your comments in-line.

• (A+) The site is much faster and I'm getting emails that I hadn't before.
    • (B) The site is faster but I'm still not getting my emails.
    • (C) Really no change for the good or bad from what I can see.
    • (D) The site is slower but I'm still getting my emails from TGO.
    • (F) The site is both slower and I'm no longer getting my emails from TGO.

Maybe a little faster, even though I voted C. Really no change. I may notice a little faster page load speed, but not a huge difference. I do not get email, but that is because of comcast, no fault of TGO.

Really glad TGO is not "homeless"!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Is there any chance we will get the chat function back?

Highly unlikely, at least for the first few months while I gauge our bandwidth usage on the new server. I don't think people really understood how much that thing ate up bandwidth when we used it before. :dropjaw:

Guest abailey362

is there anyway to use an existant irc server and just use a java client to log into it that won't eat up bandwidth? I'm not sure what the cool kids are using these days, but i used to run on chatspace software years ago and it interfaced with irc flawlessly

Highly unlikely, at least for the first few months while I gauge our bandwidth usage on the new server. I don't think people really understood how much that thing ate up bandwidth when we used it before. :lol:

I'm sure you are right, because I have no idea about what bandwidth is!

Thank you again for all your work on the site.

• Administrator
I'm sure you are right, because I have no idea about what bandwidth is!

Thank you again for all your work on the site.

Sorry; in this sense think of bandwidth as being the odometer on your car. The more data we send from our server, the more the odometer rolls forward. Previously it didn't matter what our odometer read because no one was policing it. These days we are paying monthly for an allocation of "miles driven" and if we go over, then we have to pay a penalty or buy a larger allotment of miles.

The chat feature shoves a lot of data back and forth to the various members using it, so it really makes that odometer spin when it's in use.

Hope that makes it a little clearer. :lol:

Guest flyfishtn

Working great for me (never had an issue previously with mail) and speed is consistent.

I have had a couple of times where I drill into a sub-forum area and Explorer or Firefox will "spin" then if I click the link again, it will load. Has only happened 3-4 times total. As info, work ISP is AT&T (10 meg delivered via DS3) and home ISP is AT&T DSL.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Guest canynracer

seems slow today....not sure why, I cleared cache, cookies, all that non-sense...all other sites are lickety split...just seems draggish...since the maintenance.