Bump Stock vs Slide Fire

TNMP40

Did you see this?

DISCLAIMER

According to the BATF, installing the JT Grip on a pistol under 26 inches will create an AOW which is illegal without proper Form 1 paperwork, and $5 tax stamp. To legally install the JT Grip on an AR 15 or AK 47 “pistol”, the overall length needs to be greater than 26 inches.

CLICK for ATF letter ruling on JT Grip   ||   CLICK for BATFE letter regarding a pistol with a vertical grip

Your device works in the following manner:

"To bump fire an AR/AK rifle or pistol with this device you simply put your finger on the left extension rest on the plastic/polymer slide grip and pull forward on the rifle or pistol hand guard with 1-3 pounds more pressure than the weight of the trigger on the rifle. Review of the submitted device indicates that if, as a shot is fired, an intermediate amount of pressure is applied to the handguard with the support hand, and the receiver assembly will recoil rearward far enough to allow the trigger to mechanically reset. Continued intermediate pressure applied to the handguard will then push the receiver assembly forward until the trigger re-contacts the shooter's stationary firing hand finger, allowing a subsequent shot to be fired. In this manner, the shooter pulls the receiver assembly forward to fire each shot, each shot being fired by a single function of the trigger. To fire single shots you have designed a locking button into the grip that when pushed into position, the grip will only function as a standard grip."

Your bump fire grip device consists of the following:

One plastic/polymer center piece that is molded to fit an AR type receiver pistol grip attachment point and has holes for the selector detent spring and pistol grip screw. There is a 12 X 28 inch machine screw for the attachment of the moveable pistol grip. Further, there is a left grip panel and a right grip panel. The left grip panel has the extension to allow the trigger finger to rest upon during bump firing (see attached photo).

The above statues define "handgun" and "pistol" respectively to include "a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand .... ", and " ... a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand". We must caution you if your "Bump Fire Grip Device" is installed on an AR-15 type pistol, the resulting firearm would no longer be designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand and as such would no longer meet the definition of a "handgun" or "pistol". The left hand would be required to make the pistol grip bump fire device function instead of being used a support hand. If such a firearm had an overall length less than 26 inches; the result would be a firearm regulated by the NFA, specifically such firearm would be an "Any Other Weapon".

In summary, your "Bump Fire Grip Device" in and of itself, would not be subject to regulation under federal law. However, if your "Bump Fire Grip Device" were to be installed on or possessed in conjunction with a compatible AR-15 type pistol, the resulting firearm or combination could be classified as an Any Other Weapon (AOW) under the NFA. Should an individual wish to manufacture an NFA firearm upon receipt of an approved ATF Fonn 1 (5320.1), it would be required to be marked in accordance with Title 26, U.S.C., Chapter 53, section 5842. Finally, the installation of your "Bump Fire Grip Device" on or possession with an AR-15 type rifle would not be a violation of Federal law similarly to the "Slide Fire Device" AR-15 rifle stock.

50 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Did you see this?

DISCLAIMER

According to the BATF, installing the JT Grip on a pistol under 26 inches will create an AOW which is illegal without proper Form 1 paperwork, and $5 tax stamp. To legally install the JT Grip on an AR 15 or AK 47 “pistol”, the overall length needs to be greater than 26 inches.

CLICK for ATF letter ruling on JT Grip   ||   CLICK for BATFE letter regarding a pistol with a vertical grip

No, i was reading a tread about the FN 249s on ar15 and someone was wishing they would make a JT grip for it.

4 hours ago, Johnny Rotten said:

no I didn't...

I sure don't get the AOW statue for it, I sure wouldn't want to FA fire a AR15 pistol single handed...lol

I like its design thou

It sounds like if I even bumpfire a pistol without any JT Grip (it is possible to do), that because it takes two hands, they would consider my AR/AK pistol an AOW.  :shake: 

On 9/27/2016 at 7:13 PM, TNMP40 said:

Can someone give me the pro or cons on each brand.  One cost a lot more and I am not sure why.  This is not an item that would be used often unles you own an ammo factory 

Thanks

I can't give an opinion on the expensive one, but I bought the cheaper one and it works just fine.(its been awhile since I bought it so I don't remember which one is the cheaper of the two). Guns America sent out an email about a month ago saying that they were in lawsuit and the expensive one won the case, and the cheaper one is no more. So if you can find one, I say grab it, it is fun once in awhile, but I don't think the expensive one would be worth the coin.

On Sunday, October 02, 2016 at 0:42 PM, JohnC said:

Did you see this?

DISCLAIMER

So what's the story?

13 hours ago, GS455 said:

So what's the story?

It reads like, if you have to use two hands to bumpfire a pistol (less than 26 inches OAL) with the JT bumpfire grip, the BATFE says it is an AOW and you need to file a Form 1 with $5 for your tax stamp.

That really blows my mind because I fire lots of pistols with two hands. That is really a stretch of the interpretation of the law IMHO.

BATFE is getting way too far in to telling us HOW we can shoot our guns now, such as shouldering a Sig Pistol Stabilizing Brace and this JT bumpfire grip. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Guest Josh said:

Due to litigation threats from SF, we will wait for our Patent to issue before release.

JT Grip Solutions

Thanks for the update.

Now can you comment on the BATFE ruling on the grip?

Any plans to dispute it in court?

The ATF is looking at this product just like a putting a VHG on a pistol. It is the two hands thing. No we will not dispute it, because it's a pretty easy get-around, especially with a AR. Check out the latest review.