Disney World (Florida)

Headed to Disney this weekend with the kids and will be staying at a Disney property. Haven't been in 20 years, so I'm looking for any info on carrying in and around the area.

I'm not planning on carrying in the parks themselves which are posted and have checkpoints but how about the areas not inside the parks but on the property.

Do they have mag/checkpoints set-up? I will have my LEO creds and badge with me but would like to avoid any stink if you will. Anyone have any experiences there?

Sp

We go about once a year. Last time was in early February.  I saw no "wanding" or metal detectors at the Magic Kingdom even though they were supposedly already in use at that point. I just carried my normal edc knife which no one saw and I had no issues. Like I said I did not see ANY magnetometers or wanding at that point.  We stayed at Art of Animation and there were no "checkpoints" or anything and no "No Weapons" signs...but again that has been since February. I normally carry when not in the parks...because I normally carry in every day life everywhere that does not involve a metal detector. I might have carried firearms in the parks in the past, but I normally do not and have not felt the need to. I've not been so much afraid of getting jacked while in the parks, as something happening going to and from.  

Carrying in the parks has been historically doable (concealed means concealed) and there were no metal detectors, but the Disney parks probably have more on site plain clothed security and cameras being monitored than anywhere else in the world.   

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke

I have seen reports from this summer about random screenings at WDW.  At that time, they were only having some people go through metal detectors.  They may have some type of screening at Downtown Disney.  For the resort hotels themselves, I would imagine it would be difficult to screen at those properties.

When I stayed at Port Orleans, there was no way to screen anything other than excluding non-guests at the entrance to the parking lot.  You could easily CC anywhere else in that area.

50 minutes ago, cmsmith712001 said:

I was there in May and I was pulled aside twice for screening.  In both situations I had to go through metal detectors.

I think you got profiled, you were too alert and paying attention to stuff around you. Not normal amongst the mob of walking cash registers.

Edited by Gotthegoods
  • Like 1

It's actually not illegal to carry in the parks, it's only a violation of Disney/Universal rules. On the FL forum there have been several interesting stories about LEO's that were caught entering the park while armed. Some were given the option of securing their firearm with the LEO's working at Disney until they left(it was put in a locker). Other's reported that they were told to return their firearm to their vehicle. Either way, just keep in mind it's not illegal, even if you are not a cop.

That being said, most folks are reporting metal detectors are now in use.

1 hour ago, cmsmith712001 said:

I was there in May and I was pulled aside twice for screening.  In both situations I had to go through metal detectors.

We were there late May as well, same experience. All bags get searched and "random" metal detector screenings at all the parks. 

The guys that got screened had a certain "look"? Hmmmm imagine that. 

If you roll into the Magic Kingdom looking like you just got off the plane from Bagram Airfield then yes you are going to draw attention to yourself...just like if you were wearing a shemagh. I see it all the time. The dudes who look all "hard" are the ones who draw the eye of Mordor to them.  I do my best "fat, dumb and happy" impersonation, smile and look like I am happy to be there when going into the park (or anywhere) and no one even gives me a second look. You can be "aware" and be "switched on" without your body language screaming "look at me I'm a bad ass!". If you want to avoid any unpleasant  imperial entanglements your body language should say "nothing to see here".  

Not saying this was necessarily the case with cmsmith, but like Gotthegoods mentions, those who do not blend in with the crowd draw extra attention form security people no matter the venue.  On the other hand....for all we know Disney may just simply have a certain random denominator for extra screening.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, cmsmith712001 said:

Just curious....did you have a knife on you at the time? I'm curious as to their reaction to someone with a pocket knife on them when they get them to go through the metal detectors....

I did have a pocket knife and I was upfront with the screener and told them I had one.  She called over a supervisor and I explained to them that I had a knife and really didn't want to lose it.  They were good to me and agreed to hold it in a locker until I returned.  The supervisor did tell me that since I disclosed it on my own and made their job easier they would hold it for me.

4 hours ago, Cruel Hand Luke said:

The guys that got screened had a certain "look"? Hmmmm imagine that. 

If you roll into the Magic Kingdom looking like you just got off the plane from Bagram Airfield then yes you are going to draw attention to yourself...just like if you were wearing a shemagh. I see it all the time. The dudes who look all "hard" are the ones who draw the eye of Mordor to them.  I do my best "fat, dumb and happy" impersonation, smile and look like I am happy to be there when going into the park (or anywhere) and no one even gives me a second look. You can be "aware" and be "switched on" without your body language screaming "look at me I'm a bad ass!". If you want to avoid any unpleasant  imperial entanglements your body language should say "nothing to see here".  

Not saying this was necessarily the case with cmsmith, but like Gotthegoods mentions, those who do not blend in with the crowd draw extra attention form security people no matter the venue.  On the other hand....for all we know Disney may just simply have a certain random denominator for extra screening.

Other than my beard there was really nothing that would set me apart from anyone else.  I like to keep a low profile and blend in. I don't like drawing attention to myself at all.

3 minutes ago, Cruel Hand Luke said:

A wise policy.

Like I said, it might not have applied to you specifically and it is possible they have a "random metric" for picking folks ...you may have just gotten randomly picked twice. 

I agree with you that it is a wise policy and I have no problem being screened.  My main concern is the safety of my children and my wife.  If random searches and screenings help keep them safe I am perfectly fine with it.  Now there is a high probability that between the parking lot and the gate I may have become agitated with members of my family and had an angry look on my face which prompted the screenings.  :mad:

I was at MK and Epcot a few weeks ago and they were searching all bags and everyone was going through metal detectors. If you wanted to get a gun or knife through in a bag it would not be difficult - especially a knife. Security theater as I think it'd be pretty easy to even get a bomb past them.

It's not illegal to carry at Disney World if you have a license.  There is no such thing as a 'posted' goofy no gun sign like here that you can get a weapons charge over.  You just can't carry in the bar areas of restaurants in the park just like anywhere else in Florida.  If they are running metal detectors now, that does make it more difficult to carry a gun there. 

54 minutes ago, 300winmag said:

It's not illegal to carry at Disney World if you have a license.  There is no such thing as a 'posted' goofy no gun sign like here that you can get a weapons charge over.  You just can't carry in the bar areas of restaurants in the park just like anywhere else in Florida.  If they are running metal detectors now, that does make it more difficult to carry a gun there. 

Doesn't Disney still have an exception for all that with the wacky explosive loophole in FL law? Unless it's been amended since last I heard, technically you can't even have guns in the parking lot because of it if they wanted to try and enforce that.

- OS

I think that was related to Florida's safe commute law for employees which means that employees caught with guns in their car at Disney can still be fired.  I don't think that relates to people carrying on licenses and where you can or can't legally carry with that license.  You can also keep a gun in your glovebox there without a license.

Edited by 300winmag
On 10/1/2016 at 5:58 PM, Oh Shoot said:

Doesn't Disney still have an exception for all that with the wacky explosive loophole in FL law? Unless it's been amended since last I heard, technically you can't even have guns in the parking lot because of it if they wanted to try and enforce that.

- OS

I have never heard of this. I do not believe it is illegal to carry at Disney or other parks.