Disney World (Florida)

45 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I have never heard of this. I do not believe it is illegal to carry at Disney or other parks. 

Had to do with the "guns in cars" back when that was passed. Didn't know if ever was officially resolved.

Here was gist of it:

"Disney cites language within Florida's newly enacted "Preservation and Protection of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Motor Vehicles Act of 2008" that creates an exception for companies whose primary business is to manufacture, use, store or transport explosives regulated under federal law."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2008-07-03/news/disneyguns03_1_walt-disney-disney-world-florida-gun-law

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
14 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

"Disney cites language within Florida's newly enacted "Preservation and Protection of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Motor Vehicles Act of 2008" that creates an exception for companies whose primary business is to manufacture, use, store or transport explosives regulated under federal law."

Somehow I think if you challenged Disney they would have a very difficult time in court explaining how their PRIMARY business is to manufacture, use, store, or transport explosives. Yes, they use and store fireworks, but that is not their primary business...which is hospitality (hotel rooms and food service.) This is again how businesses and government get away with not following the law because you have to have money and time (look at the Knoxville Fair Issue that is now over a year old) to get justice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2016 at 5:58 PM, Oh Shoot said:

Doesn't Disney still have an exception for all that with the wacky explosive loophole in FL law? Unless it's been amended since last I heard, technically you can't even have guns in the parking lot because of it if they wanted to try and enforce that.

- OS

No, they tried to get the law changed but were unsuccessful.

They put the metal detectors in use on December 16, 2016.  We were there in the the parks when they were put into service.  We left the Magic Kingdom late on the 15th and they were there the morning of the 16th.    I believe it also happened at Universal and other parks around the country at the same time.

On my 2009, 2011, and 2015 visits all bags were inspected going into the parks.   On the 2015 trip I was pulled out of line 3 times (MK, Epcot, HS) and was asked to walk through the metal detector.   I did notice that each time I was pulled I was wearing something with an Alabama logo so I figured I was being targeted by Florida or Florida State fans. :)

I've seen a lot of people talk about how it's illegal to carry a gun in to a Disney park pointing at several recent arrests.   This is just not true.  There is no law that says you can't carry on Disney property but Disney can also refuse to allow access to the parks.   All of the recent arrests that have been made were because the one carrying the gun was breaking Florida law and would have gone to jail if they were at Disney or at Wal-Mart.   The most Disney can do is tell you to leave and if you refuse they will hit you with some type of trespassing/disorderly conduct and ban you from the parks.

As far as I know you can carry any place else in the parks and you just have to follow Florida law.

On November 9, 2016 at 4:12 PM, battleop said:

No, they tried to get the law changed but were unsuccessful.

They put the metal detectors in use on December 16, 2016.  We were there in the the parks when they were put into service.  We left the Magic Kingdom late on the 15th and they were there the morning of the 16th.    I believe it also happened at Universal and other parks around the country at the same time.

On my 2009, 2011, and 2015 visits all bags were inspected going into the parks.   On the 2015 trip I was pulled out of line 3 times (MK, Epcot, HS) and was asked to walk through the metal detector.   I did notice that each time I was pulled I was wearing something with an Alabama logo so I figured I was being targeted by Florida or Florida State fans. :)

I've seen a lot of people talk about how it's illegal to carry a gun in to a Disney park pointing at several recent arrests.   This is just not true.  There is no law that says you can't carry on Disney property but Disney can also refuse to allow access to the parks.   All of the recent arrests that have been made were because the one carrying the gun was breaking Florida law and would have gone to jail if they were at Disney or at Wal-Mart.   The most Disney can do is tell you to leave and if you refuse they will hit you with some type of trespassing/disorderly conduct and ban you from the parks.

As far as I know you can carry any place else in the parks and you just have to follow Florida law.

Bingo. Both of these last two were because they were carrying without a license.

Again, for my trip in Sept it would be impossible to carry through on person, but quite easy to carry through in a bag if decently hidden. Their bag checks aren't that great because there are so many people waiting to get in. But I also don't think I gun would be very helpful in a situation because I would imagine a bomb would be the method of attack at a park.

the family and I were there back in june....we spent a day in each park....The wife got pulled aside one day for a random check and sent through a metal detector....she is Scandinavian.....i was pulled aside another day and sent through a metal detector....no beard, just an ave broken down  50ish year old disable  grandpa even had my 9 year old grandchild in tow....I could have been  because of of the Memphis st cap I had on..one of the guys that pulled me to  aside was from Tiptionille or Ridgely .....the days we were there they were going through the bags big time....but it was the week the night club got shot up in Orlando 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2016 at 4:17 PM, dawgdoc said:

I have seen reports from this summer about random screenings at WDW.  At that time, they were only having some people go through metal detectors.  They may have some type of screening at Downtown Disney.  For the resort hotels themselves, I would imagine it would be difficult to screen at those properties.

When I stayed at Port Orleans, there was no way to screen anything other than excluding non-guests at the entrance to the parking lot.  You could easily CC anywhere else in that area.

Hahahaha!  Random.  Yeah.  Put on gun logo'd piece of apparel and see just how random it gets.  

I wore a CZ bucket hat to the parks four days in a row.  Four "random" full metal detector, pat down searches later, I said some things to the security guard that I'm not so proud of and can't repeat!

Yeah, they are doing full bag searches to all bags every day and random metal detectors / pat downs.  Don't try it.

We should do what any good liberal would do , raise a stink and complain that you were profiled and you are offended and embarrassed for being suspected of something. Threaten to sue and get them all fired. Make a huge scene and be sure all in the area know that Disney is racist and Islamophobic and homophobic and any other phobic you can think of. Wouldn't that be fun?

• 1 month later...

Last time I was there 3-4 years ago, they had a "Gun Check" booth right by the front gate of the Magic Kingdom.  I was not carrying but tend to notice such things.  Also noticed that it was not posted anywhere (back then) that you could not carry.

I got back from a trip on the 23rd.  I was surprised at how little signage there was letting you know you can't carry past security.  I can see how people might not know you can't carry there.    Then again more people may be turned away than we hear about.   We may only hear about the ones that are not carrying legally.