Pawn Shop Score! Ruger P89

luvmyberetta

I stopped by a friends pawn shop today to browse & spotted something that I apparently couldn't live without for another day. A stainless Ruger P89 in 9mm in really nice condition. I've never owned or even had the chance to shoot one, but most of what I hear from owners is positive. It certainly has a hefty feel & I like the grips. I regret selling my P95DC a few years back without ever shooting it. I'll make sure this one gets some range time.

Ruger%20P89_zpsvxbixi81.jpg
Ruger%20P89.1_zps2fz4m1lm.jpg
Ruger%20P89.2_zpskgjwgesw.jpg

• Like 11

I've got an old P85, and yes, they are tanks. Mine's been stone reliable and after eleventy gillion rounds, is still more accurate than me. 

It's got a lot more muzzle flip than you'd expect for such a big pistol, and the trigger reset is long, but it's still fun to shoot. 

• 4 months later...
On 9/30/2016 at 5:25 PM, luvmyberetta said:

I stopped by a friends pawn shop today to browse & spotted something that I apparently couldn't live without for another day. A stainless Ruger P89 in 9mm in really nice condition. I've never owned or even had the chance to shoot one, but most of what I hear from owners is positive. It certainly has a hefty feel & I like the grips. I regret selling my P95DC a few years back without ever shooting it. I'll make sure this one gets some range time.

Ruger%20P89_zpsvxbixi81.jpg
Ruger%20P89.1_zps2fz4m1lm.jpg
Ruger%20P89.2_zpskgjwgesw.jpg

I still have the original plastic box for one of these somewhere if you need it.

As mentioned before they are "overbuilt" and reliable but  due to the high bore axis they do have a little more muzzle flip than some other designs. But as far as guns that can be found at a "good price" the Ruger P series guns are a solid choice. They were very popular back then with folks not looking to spend $500 or more for a Glock or a SW 3rd Gen or a Beretta or Sig. And for folks looking for a perfectly functional hi cap service pistol on a budget today they are still a good economy choice .

As to the Ruger P series being  a popular choice  "back in the day",  I went to Prentice Cooper to shoot some on Dec 26 of 1997 and it seems like everyone in that area must have gotten a P89 or a  P94 for Christmas because there were like 8 to 10 guys there with brand new P89s or P94s in the box. That was back when the range was essentially a glorified ditch with 2 shooting tables so you had to wait in line to shoot. So you got to see what everyone was shooting.

Nice find!  

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Like 1

Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear some good reviews on the P89. Since I took the photos I've installed a trigger from a P95 & plan to try some Wolff springs to tune it a bit. I also polished the pivot points when I installed the P95 trigger & it's a lot smoother than when I first got it. When I get time I'll make a custom leather holster for it.

On 2/17/2017 at 8:16 PM, ZoidMeister said:

It took me three days to get back to fulfill my committment to upload a photo or two, but here you go . . . . .

My Ruger stable, from front to back . . .

P94 - .40 S&W

P85-II - 9mm

P91 - .40 S&W

P90 - .45 ACP

Ruger%20P-Series%20(x4)-001.JPG

Zoid is getting all my likes these days it seems. 

Nice showing as usual. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The P series Ruger was Yeager's first pistol. :hiding:

I usually do not admit to having gone to Camden in a public environment but I think I remember him saying he started with a P series Ruger.

Have one friend ( No , not Yeager ) that shot one of these years ago. It always worked and really nothing to complain about if you like DA/SA pistols

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while . . .

15 hours ago, Taylor said:

The P series Ruger was Yeager's first pistol. :hiding:

I usually do not admit to having gone to Camden in a public environment but I think I remember him saying he started with a P series Ruger.

Have one friend ( No , not Yeager ) that shot one of these years ago. It always worked and really nothing to complain about if you like DA/SA pistols

Edited by ZoidMeister