Who here flys?

I could be wrong, but I think it's a skill that comes from playing a lot of video games. My neighbor's kid and I got one about the same time and he could fly his like a champ in the same time I was installing my 3rd set of blades due to crashes. I just couldn't get the hang of it and got bored. Ironically, he was so good at it that he also got bored.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:10 AM, BigK said:

I could be wrong, but I think it's a skill that comes from playing a lot of video games. My neighbor's kid and I got one about the same time and he could fly his like a champ in the same time I was installing my 3rd set of blades due to crashes. I just couldn't get the hang of it and got bored. Ironically, he was so good at it that he also got bored.

I knew an army helicopter pilot from another forum who'd taught himself how to fly small toy RC helicopters prior to going the warrant officer pilot route. He was convinced that his experience with that RC helicopter made his helicopter flight school easier for him to understand and complete.

I have some other friends who are just tech savvy...ham radio, computers and hobby electronics that took to quad rotor UAV's like ducks to water. But then they were the only ones I knew with the readily disposable income to drop $800+ dollars on a UAV. Me? The only RC aircraft I've ever flown were string controlled. 

I've got one that I fly occasionally. It's a cheap one. Flew it til I got bored with it and really don't touch it much anymore.

Took me about an hour to get the hang of the quad copter control, once I had it and was able to do spins it got boring. I've never really had it out of the backyard, but it doesn't do well when getting up a bit in altitude.

I haven't ever messed with the quads yet.  I fly helis and have been looking to upgrade to a 3d machine.  The skill level jumps way up when you start getting into acrobatic helis though.  But from everything I've seen, any quad worth the money has enough gyro stabilization and tracking that its almost impossible to not be good.