Here's anuther'n

Well, a couple. The orange looking leather I was trying to make for my SOG Seal Pup. Well we see how that worked out. I really wanted a very slimline sheath, and I cut the width too shy. Got it all sewed up (without checking first), brought the black dye just up to the stitch line, then found out there was no way on this green earth that SOG was going in that sheath. Picked up my son's old Kabar with laminated wood grip and ..... sssssnick! Just like I had measured his knife instead of mine.:eek: 

Next attempt: Cut it right, sewed it right, tried to put it in a low temp oven to dry (170 deg.), didn't leave it very long, came out looking sort of like a six month old banana. :wall:

THIRD! attempt is the black one here. Made myself a comfortable, slim, lightweight, left hand sheath. FINALLY! Me likey.:up:

Sometimes the process of learning sucks.:cry:

black friction sheath.jpg

orange leather sheath.jpg

Edited by res308
  • Like 1

Those look really good.  Myself, I don't mind the learning process.  In fact, I kind of like it.  It is all the wasted $$$ in materials, all the time spent for naught and the frustration of making something that doesn't work that annoys me.  What's that?  Those things are part of the learning process, sometimes?  Well, crap!

I have a knife that I made using a Russell-Green River blade that I ordered online.  I customized the blade a little, put wood grips on it and was really pleased with how it turned out.  I had some nice, thin leather that made a really nice, 'sleeve' type sheath for it (the type where retention comes from a big part of the handle sliding down into the sheath along with the blade.)  I wet formed it and it looked great.  Probably the best looking knife sheath I had made to that point.  The problem was that I didn't put a welt in it and the leather was very thin so after the first time or two of drawing and resheathing the razor sharp blade it sliced right through the top part of the sheath.

13 hours ago, JAB said:

Those look really good.  Myself, I don't mind the learning process.  In fact, I kind of like it.  It is all the wasted $$$ in materials, all the time spent for naught and the frustration of making something that doesn't work that annoys me.  What's that?  Those things are part of the learning process, sometimes?  Well, crap!

My thoughts exactly. I really am enjoying the learning, but, the wasted time and material from mistakes can kind of mess up your day.

Thanks for the complements gentlemen. I hope to be able to put out some consistent quality products on a regular basis soon.

Here's a piece I had in my pile o' stuff. Think it's from a cape-wilde-mammoth-o'-beest or something. I'm already having thoughts of replacing my Kabar sheath, or maybe a stacked sheath for my Esee 5. Dunno yet, but it's going on something.

WP_20161008_11_46_36_Pro.jpg

Drying in an oven is never a good thing, dries WAY too fast. I have tried it in the past and I tried it again last night on another holster I am making. Well I screwed up another piece of leather.

Also, leather is CHEAP so cut your pieces way bigger than you need. It is way easier to remove material than it is to reattach it. I learned that lesson after I made a $30 piece of leather into unusable pile of scraps. I keep thinking I could cut the pieces a little bigger each time but in the end I couldn't use a single piece.

I use a food vacuum sealer to mold the leather to the item. It is quick, easy and give a lot of detail without boning.

Another tip is to wash your leather before you use it. I use really hot water and Dawn. You just want to use tap water. If you try to use boiling water it will cook the leather and ruin it. After it dries it is a stiff as a Kydex holster.

If you want help give me a call.

7 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

Drying in an oven is never a good thing, dries WAY too fast. I have tried it in the past and I tried it again last night on another holster I am making. Well I screwed up another piece of leather.

Also, leather is CHEAP so cut your pieces way bigger than you need. It is way easier to remove material than it is to reattach it. I learned that lesson after I made a $30 piece of leather into unusable pile of scraps. I keep thinking I could cut the pieces a little bigger each time but in the end I couldn't use a single piece.

I use a food vacuum sealer to mold the leather to the item. It is quick, easy and give a lot of detail without boning.

Another tip is to wash your leather before you use it. I use really hot water and Dawn. You just want to use tap water. If you try to use boiling water it will cook the leather and ruin it. After it dries it is a stiff as a Kydex holster.

If you want help give me a call.

Thanks. I'm finding that there is going to be a WHOLE lot of stuff I need to learn. I'm quite certain I can use all the help I can get. Yep, try as I might, I just could not figure out how to re-attach that leather I screwed up. One of the few things I've learned so far is that leather work is a DO NOT HURRY!!!! type of craft.

Edited by res308