Panic Buying?

SavageSig

I remember both times BO was elected, and both times there was a run on guns right before and after the election. After two panic runs that coincided with presidential elections, plus the Sandy Hook disaster run, are others seeing evidence of real panic buying before this election, or is it more that vendors/speculators are hoping for panic buying? I keep reading that people better stock up before the election, but when I go out to shops, I am not seeing the crowds I was four or eight years ago. Supply does seem to be drying up, but I don't know if that's organic demand or people remembering the last panics and buying all the lowers they can to flip.

I ask because I'm interested in an AR - prices seem to be much lower than when I last looked a few years ago. Should I take my time and be a bit choosier or should I get one while I can? I also want to pick up a few other firearms, but right now I'm prioritizing the AR because the election and now I'm wondering if I'm letting that overly influence my decision. Can prices drop more?

Thank you.

Edited by SavageSig
44 minutes ago, Fourtyfive said:

Don't see them getting any lower. I would buy now...

I'm with Fourtyfive on this. The price to put together an AR is about as cheap as I've ever seen. You can buy full kits with everything but a lower from people like PSA for as low as 450 range. I've seen complete uppers as low as 230, and complete lowers 159. More recently those have been rising fairly quickly.

Granted the PSA may be an entry level rifle, but I have several from them and functionality has been great. When you can get into a fully functioning rifle for under 500-550...well I can't see it going any lower right now.

Colts and Rugers can be had in the 900-1000 range routinely.

But the higher end rifles like the DDM and Noveskey are rising. So I suggest if you want an AR...buy now.

All this just my opinion. But if you do a little searching on the web, and gun shops, I think you'll agree. 

• Like 1

I dislike feeling pressured to buy, but if now isn't the right time I don't know when - now, should I spring for a Spike's Tactical at 750 + FFL transfer or pick up a S&W Sport II for $600 OTD. I was looking at PSA as well...I can get a complete blem lower for about $200 after shipping and FFL fees.

Edited by SavageSig
1 minute ago, SavageSig said:

I dislike feeling pressured to buy, but if now isn't the right time I don't know when - now, should I spring for a Spike's Tactical at 750 + FFL transfer or pick up a S&W Sport II for $600 OTD. I was looking at PSA as well...I can get a complete blem lower for about $200 after shipping and FFL fees.

lol Now you are into the hard part...picking one. Or is it just one? Good luck.

Prices are pretty low right now; I don’t see them getting any lower than $600-700 for the entry level rifles.

Just like gas; prices can jump overnight. I don’t expect a big jump because folks have figured out the President can’t ban guns. Sure it’s possible but with the recent SCOTUS rulings, unlikely. State laws will be the biggest deciding factors. I don’t think we have much to worry about in Tennessee.

Now having said that, I wanted a new AR-10 so I got it a few weeks ago because the gun industry hosed us the last time; not the government. That could happen again.

• Like 1

"QUOTE"           Sure it’s possible but with the recent SCOTUS rulings, unlikely. 

It's unlikely at present time but if Hildebeast gets elected and begins appointing Supreme Court Justices how much longer will the original decisions hold up might be a question to think about..........................jmho 

• Like 4

Do you equate panic buying with empty display counters at your LGS, along with sky high prices when product availability was limited?  The back ground check transfer numbers have remained on the high end for several straight months now. Many firearms are being purchased but yet the shelves are still well stocked.  The firearm market is saturated on both ends, supply and demand.  Sure there are a few areas that can't meet demand, say like .22 rimfire,  but it's available be it a little pricey compared to what many of us may have been used to.  This is the new normal and yes there will be demand peaks as a result of current events and elections.  Speaking of elections, we as a group must quit complaining about how poor our choices are and become proactive if we want to continue to exercise our 2nd amendment rights.  What's the best way to do this, I don't have a crystal ball but we can at least vote for the best of the worst when it come to a politicians stance on the 2nd amendment.

Edited by MP5_Rizzo
fixed typos
  • Like 1

Panic buying questions aside, the prices for entry to mid level ARs are as low as we've seen them.  Right now the popularity is helping keep prices competitive.  They're pretty much hovering on the lower side of prices in modern times.  So, if you're looking for a deal on that first AR, I'd say get one now because it's not likely to get better.

If cash flow is an obstacle to getting one before election day, you can at least get a built or stripped lower. That way, you have the most important part from a legal standpoint.  The rest can be finished as money becomes available.

3 hours ago, btq96r said:

Panic buying questions aside, the prices for entry to mid level ARs are as low as we've seen them.  Right now the popularity is helping keep prices competitive.  They're pretty much hovering on the lower side of prices in modern times.  So, if you're looking for a deal on that first AR, I'd say get one now because it's not likely to get better.

If cash flow is an obstacle to getting one before election day, you can at least get a built or stripped lower. That way, you have the most important part from a legal standpoint.  The rest can be finished as money becomes available.

Popularity, and a saturated market. Agreed, you probably won't see better prices. Personally, I think the horse is out of the barn. An AR ban at the national level will have to wait until a lot more sane people die off.

The bans will continue some in the Commie states because they are incapable of comprehending any kind of crime data, and FEEEEELINGS... my whiney ass has FEEEEELINGS.  Y'all know the tune :) 

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Fourtyfive said:

Build a PSA ( I just built 2) or get the Sport 2 , either will be a fine rifle.

I wish you had posted 5 minutes ago - I just pulled the trigger on a Spikes Tactical ST-15. Sport II was no longer an option and while I sat here with a $450 PSA Freedom AR build in my cart with thoughts of buying that .22 pistol I wanted a little early, I decided to just go ahead and buy the "nicer" one.

2 hours ago, SavageSig said:

I wish you had posted 5 minutes ago - I just pulled the trigger on a Spikes Tactical ST-15. Sport II was no longer an option and while I sat here with a $450 PSA Freedom AR build in my cart with thoughts of buying that .22 pistol I wanted a little early, I decided to just go ahead and buy the "nicer" one.

Hard to go wrong with Spikes. 

• Like 1

As others have stated, I doubt prices will get any lower.  If you are concerned about the future availability of an AR, I would go ahead and get a decent one now instead of a cheap bottom of the bucket one. Put off any other gun purchase and get a good AR.

• Like 1

It's probably not gonna get any cheaper and the Hildabeast isn't gonna make it any better. Get ammo, mags, and spare aprts if you don't already have a rifle. Prices will drop after the panic buying stops because guns won't be banned. The problem is that it's only gonna take two or three years for supply to overwhelm demand. 

• Like 1

Now is the time to avoid the run up.  Dig deep and get what you need then relax and watch.  I have watched four distinct run ups now and have yet to see ammo go back down to where it started from.  The cheapest I have bought Lake City 5.56 in the last two years was $309 per thousand which sold out in a blink of an eye at Wally World.  Prior to that was $279 per K.  Those days are gone.  It used to me much cheaper than that but then gas used to be $1 dollar a gallon too.  Buy now, store safely and sensibly, no worries.

Received my Spike's Tactical carbine today - thanks to Guns 'n' More for the smooth FFL transfer. It's a very handsome gun and it seems to be 100% functional - I need to take it to the range now. I picked up a lower that I'm going to convert into a pistol. I was going to buy another couple of lowers, but the fact that lowers are readily available with less than a month to go in the election tell me that supply is vastly outstripping any election demand. I think an AR and an AR pistol (to SBR later) is probably enough for now - thanks for the advice and I am picking up some spare parts.

Where do people go these days to shoot rifles? I haven't been to a rifle range in ages - I know of Stones River, but what are some other places that people recommend? And perhaps have a longer range than 100 yards? I'm sticking with iron sights for now, but a red dot of some sort is probably in my future.

Also, sling recommendations?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, SavageSig said:

Also, sling recommendations?

Unless you want to shell out money otherwise better spent, this one ought to serve well enough.  If you want to get all tactical, you can use some parachute cord on the ends to do the same thing an overpriced swivel mount would do.

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Point-Sling-Adjusters-Made/dp/B01E3DPLVW/ref=pd_lpo_200_tr_t_3/161-5037981-2144636?ie=UTF8&refRID=TZ2M80R3ZAEKS3RZDD8V

If you must have something tactical, I'm partial to the Viking Tactics product line...though I think the padded sling is not worth the extra money.

11 hours ago, btq96r said:

Unless you want to shell out money otherwise better spent, this one ought to serve well enough.  If you want to get all tactical, you can use some parachute cord on the ends to do the same thing an overpriced swivel mount would do.

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Point-Sling-Adjusters-Made/dp/B01E3DPLVW/ref=pd_lpo_200_tr_t_3/161-5037981-2144636?ie=UTF8&refRID=TZ2M80R3ZAEKS3RZDD8V

If you must have something tactical, I'm partial to the Viking Tactics product line...though I think the padded sling is not worth the extra money.

Sling hardware overpriced? I have one of those plain jane silent slings for my A2 rifle, just to keep it authentic. Pain in the ass, cause then the sling gets hung on other things in the safe unless I unlace it. I like to have my AR's a little more capable than just shooting wabbits. ALL my rifles, including my Fudd guns have QD hardware. The Fudd guns are all style QD.